Constables.......the REAL L.E. | Page 2 | MassCops

Constables.......the REAL L.E.

Discussion in 'Whacker Central' started by mpd61, Aug 8, 2019.

1. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Charlie Baker, Mass BIG city Chiefs, and Karen Spilka are looking into this now!:eek:

CCCSD likes this.
  2. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

So...wait. I had an offer to lateral out there from CA and be a LT Constable, think it’s not a kosher deal? Damn. I already bought my Motor Officer boots and breeches.

BxDetSgt, Sooty and pahapoika like this.
  3. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

They’re mostly appointed (sometimes elected) by cities and towns, but are very, very rarely municipal employees. They’re essentially independent contractors who receive their authority from the city & town, but collect direct fees from landlords, attorneys, etc., and they pay a percentage of those fees to the city or town.

mpd61, CCCSD and PG1911 like this.
  4. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

If you didn't buy the hat you're not official.

Sooty, CCCSD, Goose and 2 others like this.
  5. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

whoever appointed them in whatever town they are appointed in and strip the appointment.

Sooty likes this.
  6. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Interesting. That's slightly different than they are here in CT. Here, there's two different kinds of constables, and they typically are only in towns that do not have an independent municipal police department. There are "regular" constables, who are town employees (usually per diam), and technically do have the power to carry out civil processes and deliver papers. However, in practice, all they do is traffic and crowd control at town events, and provide a presence. Anything goes down, they observe and report and punt it to the State Police. I am actually quite likely going to be taking a constable position in my town soon. It's an easy gig: Make between $20 to $60 bucks an hour depending on the assignment, 4 hours of pay minimum no matter what, and I barely have to do jack shit or have any liability.

Then, in some towns, there are "Special Constables", who are sworn police officers. They have the same standards, hiring process, attend the same academy, and have the same duties and powers as cops in a municipal PD. They also have the title "officer" and not "constable" (only in the state statutes are they referred to as "constable"). The only difference between them and municipal officers is that special constables work under the Resident State Trooper program, and are supervised by a CT State Police sergeant, rather than a police chief (the first selectman is technically the chief/commissioner in these towns). This system was set up as a cost saving measure for towns that were too small to afford their own PD, but too big to have a single resident trooper. Of course, now the program is becoming a little outdated, and now that the state has punted the entire cost of the program to the towns (it use to be 80% town 20% state), it's not as much of a cost saver as it once was.

CCCSD and pahapoika like this.
  7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

The sheriff's departments here in Mass. had the same problem. They were on the books as "law enforcement" , but lacked the present day training standards. Now most have gone through a corrections academy AND R/I academy.

Makes for a better product on the street :cool:

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

How the heck did they get police official plates. Where is the RMV registration this? Why isn’t this on the news tonight? I smell a big fat rat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mpd61

Yeah exactly! We all know what a great job the RMV has been doing for the past 30 years of hackery!

10. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

In their defense they were doing really important things like trying to figure out how many gender options they should give people to choose from.

APR1, Joel98, Tuna and 6 others like this.
  11. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

If the state is for this it needs to be frozen, at least for now, and then have legislature written with proper training standards and updated scripture to protect the public from these yahoo’s AND protect them from the public.

Not to mention, what if the Lynn police showed up and these guys had their firearms out. Now your putting your “brothers” (loose term for them) in a bad situation, AND THEIR NOT GETTING PAID.

This is the ultimate wacker position, it SCREAMS lawsuit. Their families, if they have them, should be concerned about what they are doing. It’s a dangerous time to be a cop as it is right now, never mind this.

As sad as it is, as time goes on I find myself less and less surprised though.

pahapoika, CCCSD, mpd61 and 1 other person like this.
  12. mpd61

The lack of oversight and time has let this slip under the radar..........
    Time to end it completely. Stick to civil process with slacks and members only jacket's

CCCSD likes this.
  13. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Everything could probably be done by civil process sheriffs and constables could be eliminated. There are actually two types of constables in Mass. One type can only perform services directly for the city or town government that appoints them and the other type are bonded and can do private civil process such as divorces, child support, and related civil process. I am a constable but I am not bonded and I can only perform services for the town I work for which is very rare. It is not uncommon for towns to appoint a police officer as a constable in case the town itself needs constable services.

I occasionally use a constable service for some rental property I own. The guy I use is a professional constable. He is in it to perform a service to his clients and treats it like a business. The one thing he does not want is problems with local police. He goes out of his way to work well with them. He also makes an absolute ton of money doing it. He described to me once that he charges $100 per adult at each address to serve "Notices to Quit" which is the first stage of an eviction. He has accounts with multiple large rental agencies who need tons of these served every month. He says a few days a month he picks an area of his city and goes into large apartment complexes and serves like 10 notices per hour. Sometimes there are several adults at the same address which means he can make several hundred dollars in an instant. He does this a few days per month and it is only a small part of his business. After hearing what he does and what he gets paid for it, he is no doubt make significantly more money than 95% of cops. He is smart enough to realize that he doesn't want to mess up his business getting into a jam playing cop.

no$.10, pahapoika, Joel98 and 4 others like this.
  14. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I’d seize the plates and start a criminal investigation.

mpd61, Goose, CCCSD and 1 other person like this.
  15. Roy Fehler

The Massachusetts Legislature will rewrite the OUI laws a bazillion times if it will benefit their private law practices, but bet the house that they’ll do NOTHING about these whackers, until there’s a tragedy that was completely avoidable if they did their fucking jobs in the first place.

Joel98, HistoryHound, Sooty and 2 others like this.
  16. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Edmizer hit the nail on the head - its money !

Was looking for a nice retirement gig. Thought about being a constable . My old sergeant told me he did it for a while but the state charged 15% of everything he made.

Don't know how many constables there are or how much the state takes in . Doesn't look like they're interested in killing that cash cow. Plus must be a good hack job for somebody with the right connections

CCCSD and Joel98 like this.
  17. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

Did you guys see that the RMV pulled all the blue light permits from the cowboys?! It’s actually getting attention now

no$.10, HistoryHound, mpd61 and 5 others like this.
  18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

HistoryHound, mpd61, CCCSD and 2 others like this.
  19. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Makes you wonder how they got those blue plates to start with.

no$.10, HistoryHound, mpd61 and 3 others like this.
  20. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Interesting reads...any updates on this subject?

21. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

I’d be interested to know too, I completely forgot about this story.

Back in my loss prevention days, I worked for a big red retailer and one of my stores was in a mall. One of the mall security guys was a “constable” on the side and he loved to come in and brag how he got appointed because his uncle was the chairman of the town council, and how he got to do everything a cop did but “without all the bullshit training they have to do”. He loved to show off his constable badge to our female team members, drove a decommissioned MSP Vic that he claimed he had installed blue lights in and used to make “enforcement stops” of vehicles, came into the mall in his “constable uniform” (black BDU’s with some whack constable patches on them and a full duty belt, including a Glock) before changing into his security uniform for his shift, and was always coming into our office to bother us and tell all these obviously fake war stories about his work “on the streets”.

Funny part is, one day my coworker and I were in an all out fight with a shoplifter who was obviously on drugs, trying to bite us, screaming how he had AIDS and would give it to us, etc, etc. We were on the ground trying to get the lifter into cuffs to protect ourselves when Mr. Tactical Constable walked by on his security shift. He took one look at the fight we were in then high-tailed it out of there while yelling “don’t worry I’ll go get help” even though he clearly had both a radio and a cell phone on him. He didn’t come back until a half hour later when the fighter had already been secured. I told him kindly to fuck off and never come back in our store talking about his tacticool bullshit again. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up working for the “office” this controversy is about.

Honestly, I think it needs to be like my adopted home state, where you hire a civilian process server for most things, or pay the sheriffs office if you need a sworn officer to serve paperwork for you. Having this weird quasi-LE force running around is a bad idea.

22. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Shoot...I guess that fleet of CVPs I bought was a waste of money. damn, I had my own CCCSD Constable patch and everything. Even practiced taping Level IV plates to my skin...
    Thanks a lot, you anti SSPO Posers!

mpd61 and Goose like this.
  23. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Getting in and out of a Crown Vic sucks when you're old, I'd hate to think how much worse it is with ceramic level IVs on.

24. Roy Fehler

This foolishness could be solved overnight by the appointing authority for constables. If they try to play police officer, revoke their constable appointments. Once a few get yanked and they lose their livelihoods, the rest will fall into line in record time.

mpd61 and Goose like this.
  25. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

You want to see some real whacker stuff look up Jeremy Dewitte on YouTube...he’s scary whacker status

mpd61, res2244 and CCCSD like this.