Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The new place is so much better than the old. Took the PAT in both places since I switched departments. But I remember that old dungeon and the slip & fall during the preview because of all of the dust :ROFLMAO:.
They tear down the armory and rebuild or is it a whole separate place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,741 Posts
They tear down the armory and rebuild or is it a whole separate place?

Entirely new facility

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Reactions: Arby

·
Registered
17 Posts
How does high debt affect the hiring process? (No missed payments, just high from a failed business attempt)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Possibly, but nothing wrong with getting some info..
No definitely. Worry about getting a card first, passing your PFT if you get that far and your psych test. Your background only begins between the psych and medical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My mistake, evidently that component has been eliminated. It was in place for the previous 20 years (at least).
I did some digging and the 86th RTT initial candidate letters mentioned "1.5 mile run, job related obstacles courses and push ups and sit ups". It does mention that the push-ups and sit-ups are not evaluated, but just an assessment tool to gauge fitness.

The latter letters only mention the 1.5 mile run so @DPH1992 and you are probably right. The initial letters probably contain some old language because I know for a fact that they use to do the obstacles courses inside their gym, but lately I haven't heard much about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How does high debt affect the hiring process? (No missed payments, just high from a failed business attempt)
I don't believe that financial obligations or having a bad credit score is a disqualifying factor. BUT, combined with other decisions that led to said situation could be a factor. Many cops have filed for bankruptcy but still take actions to fix their situation. As long as there isn't any history of you avoiding debt or excessive debt collection, I think you'll be fine. Your tax filings also have to match your current credit situation/financials.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My mistake, evidently that component has been eliminated. It was in place for the previous 20 years (at least).
Wasn’t in place when I went through the process.
I did some digging and the 86th RTT initial candidate letters mentioned "1.5 mile run, job related obstacles courses and push ups and sit ups". It does mention that the push-ups and sit-ups are not evaluated, but just an assessment tool to gauge fitness.

The latter letters only mention the 1.5 mile run so @DPH1992 and you are probably right. The initial letters probably contain some old language because I know for a fact that they use to do the obstacles courses inside their gym, but lately I haven't heard much about it.
Trust me.. I’m right. I don’t come on here to bullshit people. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember at the academy and that’s what I had to do when I went through the process for MSP. Simple 1.5 mile run around the far parking lot and push up/ sit ups that are not evaluated. That’s it.. that’s really all you need to worry about. Aside from making sure that don’t look around too much.

Hope you enjoy staring at the back of other peoples heads because that’s what you’ll be doing out there. And God forbid you turn your head at all...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wasn’t in place when I went through the process.

Trust me.. I’m right. I don’t come on here to bullshit people. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember at the academy and that’s what I had to do when I went through the process for MSP. Simple 1.5 mile run around the far parking lot and push up/ sit ups that are not evaluated. That’s it.. that’s really all you need to worry about. Aside from making sure that don’t look around too much.

Hope you enjoy staring at the back of other peoples heads because that’s what you’ll be doing out there. And God forbid you turn your head at all...
Thanks for the insight. Long ways to go for that. While I'm looking forward to the list, I'm not sure if they can afford me anymore haha. Still worth exploring. We will see...unfortunately at this point in my life it is going to come down to the numbers $$$ and if the pay cut is reasonable. State doesn't have their latest contract out so it is tough to figure it out in advance

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Long ways to go for that. While I'm looking forward to the list, I'm not sure if they can afford me anymore haha. Still worth exploring. We will see...unfortunately at this point in my life it is going to come down to the numbers $$$ and if the pay cut is reasonable. State doesn't have their latest contract out so it is tough to figure it out in advance
Well if you’ve got Quinn already then you probably won’t like what you see. Also the pension for MSP is nowhere near as good as it once was. MSP troopers who got in before 2012 are the ones who are making ridiculous pensions. In 2012 the language was altered a lot by the MSERS (state retirement system). Prior to 2012 state employees would be looking at taking about 67%-80% roughly of their highest 36 months of average regular salary. Now it’s the highest 60 consecutive months and only about 50-60%. That may not seem like much, but it makes a huge difference..

The state retirement plan was once lightyears ahead of the Federal retirement system (FERS) but honestly nowadays it isn’t much better. The state clearly realized they were going to run into problems with an aging population paying a ton of state retirees 100K+ every year until they died.

Although, I do think if you end up working something ridiculous like 40 years and into your real late 60s or early 70s you can almost top out in the 70% range for a pension, but who the hell wants to work into their 70s in this profession.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Group 4 still gets 32 years for 80%. It did change to average 5 years instead of 3.

I believe the post 2012 troopers lost 25/75. I think its something more along the lines of 30/75 now.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts