Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
210 Posts
in addition, I’d say it’s pretty similar to the way it is here in ma. If you want to be a trooper here you go back to square one in New Braintree. Much rather the 10 weeks In Maine more focused on tactics and training than holding socks up in the air for 3 days
That’s the idea, and the move isn’t really intended for 10 yr vets. They’ve already put a lot Into a career elsewhere. It’s more for young guys with 5 or less, or really motivated candidates with more.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That’s the idea, and the move isn’t really intended for 10 yr vets. They’ve already put a lot Into a career elsewhere. It’s more for young guys with 5 or less, or really motivated candidates with more.
I know a few guys on in a South Shore town that were looking into out of state options. I’ll send the post to them.

Gotta say though, I think the top step might dissuade them a bit, but I’ll send it to them anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know a few guys on in a South Shore town that were looking into out of state options. I’ll send the post to them.

Gotta say though, I think the top step might dissuade them a bit, but I’ll send it to them anyway.
On the pay front, we all wish we made MA Trooper level wages up here. Personally, I'm OK with making less in exchange for the outdoor opportunities and generally supportive legislature and populace we serve. Most Troopers are able to live comfortably on a Trooper salary outside of the Portland area, or the coastal areas in southern Maine.

Here is some rough math for a five year experienced officer who wanted to come aboard. This would be after their graduation from the RTT this coming summer. We have two raises coming before then which is why the numbers are higher than what's on the graphic. Speaking of the RTT - ALL of your working hours in the academy will be compensated.

Base: $57XXX
On-Call Standby Pay ($5 hr): $5XXX
Stipends (Vehicle, Cleaning, Phone): $12XX

So about 63K starting before college degree, physical fitness, shift (nights/weekends) and special team stipends. Those will obviously vary depending on the person. This assumes no overtime from either being called out, extensions of your shift or working it voluntarily. Most Troops have workout equipment but you'll be reimbursed up to $40.00 a month for your own membership.

·
Back Out in the Sticks
346 Posts
in addition, I’d say it’s pretty similar to the way it is here in ma. If you want to be a trooper here you go back to square one in New Braintree. Much rather the 10 weeks In Maine more focused on tactics and training than holding socks up in the air for 3 days
The vast majority of state police agencies are like that. I think only VA and NH State Police, and AK State Troopers allow for direct lateral transfer. Pretty much every other state agency will make you do the entire academy again. In CT, there was even a retired police chief from one of the larger agencies in the state who, despite 20+ years in LE and having been a friggin' chief, still had the childhood goal of being a trooper. So, at about age 50 he went through the process, got hired, and he started again at the CT State Police academy as a lowly recruit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The vast majority of state police agencies are like that. I think only VA and NH State Police, and AK State Troopers allow for direct lateral transfer. Pretty much every other state agency will make you do the entire academy again. In CT, there was even a retired police chief from one of the larger agencies in the state who, despite 20+ years in LE and having been a friggin' chief, still had the childhood goal of being a trooper. So, at about age 50 he went through the process, got hired, and he started again at the CT State Police academy as a lowly recruit.
I can respect the fact it’s a different form of policing and the nuances of the job are different than us city/town officers, but that seems like overkill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On the pay front, we all wish we made MA Trooper level wages up here. Personally, I'm OK with making less in exchange for the outdoor opportunities and generally supportive legislature and populace we serve. Most Troopers are able to live comfortably on a Trooper salary outside of the Portland area, or the coastal areas in southern Maine.

Here is some rough math for a five year experienced officer who wanted to come aboard. This would be after their graduation from the RTT this coming summer. We have two raises coming before then which is why the numbers are higher than what's on the graphic. Speaking of the RTT - ALL of your working hours in the academy will be compensated.

Base: $57XXX
On-Call Standby Pay ($5 hr): $5XXX
Stipends (Vehicle, Cleaning, Phone): $12XX

So about 63K starting before college degree, physical fitness, shift (nights/weekends) and special team stipends. Those will obviously vary depending on the person. This assumes no overtime from either being called out, extensions of your shift or working it voluntarily. Most Troops have workout equipment but you'll be reimbursed up to $40.00 a month for your own membership.
Surly not a bad deal at all, especially with the support of the legislature.

·
210 Posts
AK makes you go through a specialized Alaskan academy for out of state recruits. Prepares them for the unique job of Alaskan policing

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A lot of states agencies that never took laterals are now creating shortened lateral academies. Sign of the times I guess.

·
Back Out in the Sticks
346 Posts
I can respect the fact it’s a different form of policing and the nuances of the job are different than us city/town officers, but that seems like overkill.
I agree. It really makes no sense to make a veteran officer go through an academy again and be taught and treated like he's never worked a day in law enforcement in his life. Now that KPD explained it, Maine's way of doing it seems to make more sense: Have all the officers go through one academy program that teaches the stuff that they'll be doing regardless of whether they're state or municipal, then have a separate, shorter trooper academy that teaches the nuances of being a trooper compared to a municipal officer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve been on 7 years at my agency and am going through the process for Mass SP right now so I definitely know the feeling of starting over. Sometimes I am juggling between staying and leaving, but I know I will regret it if I don’t go.

·
210 Posts
I’ve been on 7 years at my agency and am going through the process for Mass SP right now so I definitely know the feeling of starting over. Sometimes I am juggling between staying and leaving, but I know I will regret it if I don’t go.
Change! Go Maine state! You’ll be back on the road in a great new cover in 10 weeks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Massachusetts State police could only have 20 troopers still on the job and they still wouldn't accept laterals. The MSP have the ear of the governor. So, unless Massachusetts elects, some woke anti cop loon governor and decides to gut the msp and make regional academies mandatory. It will never happen here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Massachusetts State police could only have 20 troopers still on the job and they still wouldn't accept laterals. The MSP have the ear of the governor. So, unless Massachusetts elects, some woke anti cop loon governor and decides to gut the msp and make regional academies mandatory. It will never happen here.
100%, they need to take a page out of other State Police agencies. A lot of agencies are way more open to the idea of accepting laterals or at the very least making it easier to apply and get on, like Maine here for example.

Take these people who are going to be in the 87th RTT right now. They haven’t done more than just a voluntary run.. I don’t even think they’ve done their PFT’s yet. Meanwhile the exam list has been out since September and the MSP is hurting for bodies..

·
Registered
394 Posts
MSP seems like it has been able to get away with a lot of archaic BS until recently as it was THE job to have and they always had a line out the door. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like their senior leadership has realized that times have changed and that they need to adjust their tactics.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts