Youth Correctional Facilties | MassCops

Youth Correctional Facilties

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by DodgeRam, May 2, 2007.

1. DodgeRam

DodgeRam New Member

Hi Guys- Who runs the States Youth Correctional Facilties? Is it the DYS (Dept. Of Youth Svcs), The Sherriff's Dept in the County, The Mass DOC, or are they private? An answer tonight would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. PVD24

PVD24 MassCops Member

99% of the youth secure facilities is run by DYS and has Group Workers that are the "correctional officers". Then you have the hard core kids in Plymouth where the DOC correctional officers run that facility. They are in a segregated area in Plymouth..

Any other questions, PM me

3. aplumber

aplumber Guest

I here that there is one on the Worcester State College campus as well. I have a friend that teachers in their in house school. He says that its a very well run place, however D.Y.S. subcontracts the running of it out to some contractor.

4. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I'm not the brightest guy, but when it comes to common sense....lets just take a look here....

YOUTH correctional facilities ----- Dept. of YOUTH services?....NAH, its must be the Sheriffs...

Think before you ask, you'd be amazed at what you already know.....

5. unit999

unit999 Guest

Like PVD 24 stated, most of the detention facilities are state run. When you start looking at "programs" you will begin to see vendors. I believe all of the programs on the cape are vendor programs, including capes detention.

6. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

DYS falls under the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.

Simply put, it's grouped in with DSS and DMH and not really recognized as a public safety entity because of that.

It (DYS) is also under the watchful eye of the Office of Children Youth and Families as well.

Entry level pay for a Groupworker I is a little above $27K.

7. DodgeRam

DodgeRam New Member

Thanks all set now.

8. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Hey the pay sucks, but its a state job....gotta start somewhere.....and it comes with State bennies too I think...

9. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

you are correct.

All my time towards retirement as well as my sick, vacation, and comp time carried over with me when I moved to the Trial Court.

If you go from this (or any) state job to a municipal police department, your time in will count toward your retirement you'll lose all the earned time.

10. gooday

gooday New Member

Plymouth DYS is run by the sheriffs office and there corrections officers I think. Or that may just be when there is a disturbance.