Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hello

I am taking the EMT-B course in June and I just wanted anyones thoughts/advice/experiences. Good or bad (experience not advice :wl: )

Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
OEMS is the biggest waste of state funding. The most unhelpful, unmotivated, and beauracratic office in the entire state government. I would highly recommend passing the practical and written on the first try or else you may have to deal with these hacks.

But I'm not bitter :wink:
Good luck with the course, it's a great learning experience

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Crvtte,
I went to EMT Basic school about 6 years ago. The classes were relatively easy. Practical lessons took up about half of our class time, so it went by quick. I recommend buying one of those pocket size field guides (useful) and if the text you using is brady pick up the workbook that corresponds with the text book (almost every instructor I've met bases their tests off the workbook :wink: ). When in doubt practice your skills on your own time w/a classmate. If you have any specific question let me know I'd be glad to help.

Mikey,
I have to disagree. Personally I find HRD, RMV, and the Office of the Comptroller way more unhelpful and useless than OEMS could ever hope to be.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Crvtte,
Where you taking the coarse?? I am finishing my EMT-B coarse up here in Lowell on Thursday.... YAY Finally.... Very good coarse, like Mikey said it definatly is a great learning experiance. The instructor for my coarse was a great guy, made the coarse interesting and also new his shit, which is key in order to learn anything. It is amazing the things you will learn if you dont have a medical backround, which i did not have.

For my coarse we had the Brady book and it came with the workbook, make sure you get the workbook it is a GREAT study guide. I know it helped me out alot.

Good luck with the coarse and hopefully OEMS wont up thier prices again. The practical test is now up too $150.

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmooney said:
I recommend buying one of those pocket size field guides (useful) and if the text you using is brady pick up the workbook that corresponds with the text book
The books we use come with a field guide on CD for a PDA....what good is that unless you have a PDA?? I should write to them and say they forgot to include mine with the books and the field guide :roll:

FghtNIrsh17 said:
Crvtte,
Where you taking the coarse??
For my coarse we had the Brady book and it came with the workbook, make sure you get the workbook it is a GREAT study guide. I know it helped me out alot.
The practical test is now up too $150.
I am taking the course at NU Boston, night class.

We use this book Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured . I paid $89.15 or something for the book and study guide (and PDA version) and this is the first time going online looking at that page and that price is very low....kinda pissed off now. That had better be for the book only. :BM:

The test better not go up! The class itself is $960 not including anything else.

edit: I just checked Amazon.com and they sell the package for $96 and some change so I guess I wasn't screwed over too much. OT though but I still love it though, once I was buying books for school and the bill was $300 odd some dollars and some woman behind me gasped and said how many books are you buying? I told her four books and she practically fainted. Apparently some people aren't in tune with how much books for education cost

·
Registered
561 Posts
Crvette, I took my EMT-B at NU/Boston a few years ago during the summer. It was a well-run class, and the instructors thoroughly prepared us for the state exam. The last week or so of class you will basically be in an "exam environment" where they do not help you, just evaluate your skills - that way, when you are on the spot, it is a piece of cake.

Good luck! And I have to agree with Mikey, OEMS blows!! HRD may be awful too, but I have not had the pleasure of dealing with them much yet.

-Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have Bob Doyle for NU Boston night class, you are in good hands. He makes sure you know everything you need to know for the State Test, but he also makes sure you know the everyday skills that the State doesn't test you on, like bandaging... When you get ready for the state written test, review pediatrics and also some of the child birthing stuff. There seemed to be a decent sized section on that and we did not really do much of it in the class. Although you will use old equipment, you will be more than prepared for the practical, because they make you practice a lot. The thing to concentrate on for the state test is the patient assesment. Try not to leave out any of the steps they teach you. Good Luck...

·
Registered
18 Posts
8) I thought the class itself was pretty easy, much of the stuff is common sense, if you have completed a first responder class previously, you will know half the information already. I thought the hardest was the practicals, mostly the trauma and medical patient, because there is so much to remember and it has to be in order, the rest of the stations are pretty easy as long as you remember your ABC's......... (Don't ever forget to say you put on your BSI--- You get 40 lashes if you forget) :oops: My professor was pretty anal, but the class itself was enjoyable. Best of luck to you.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
I took the EMT-B course through Central Mass EMS in Holden. The instructors were extremely professional and demanded a lot out of the students. The subject matter is relatively easy, as long as you pay attention. One other thing, when you go to the state practical , if you happen to get an examiner who looks like he belongs in the sixties, or kinda like Bob Ross the painter or Grizzly Adams, immediately ask for a new examiner, it will save you a lot of headaches, if anyone else knows whom Im speaking of IM me...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been an EMT for twenty three years. I've worked on the ambulance, emergency rooms and as a PO. Never regretted taking it. The information you learn will be useful on the job and at home. Good luck!!

Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mopar, I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. I had SERIOUS issues with his examination procedure, and was furious when I got my results back and had to re-take his station. PM me for details if you are interested.

Of course, who is there at the retest but the same guy... and he got pissed off and left the room when I politely asked the head examiner at the test site for a different examiner - even though they tell you a million times that you have the right to do so without question.

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts