Your Best or Worst FTO Experiences Thread: | Page 2 | MassCops

Your Best or Worst FTO Experiences Thread:

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by GARDA, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

A fun call during break-in (1st job) was an armed robbery. I'm driving, with my FTO riding shotgun (yes, he's literally now riding with a shotgun pointed out the passenger window) as we approach the scene of a K-9 team that is tracking hard.

At least four bad guys showing two guns are now on foot in the area after they didn't make it to their getaway car, thanks to one of our guys that went the wrong way down a one-way street to disrupt their robbery in progress when the call went out.

Now, wise or not, I have one hand on the steering wheel and the other one is pointing my handgun out the driver's window. We are rounding building corners expecting to come upon them at every turn. K-9 ends up locating and devouring two of them as we roll up... we just sat back and enjoyed the show. The other two and the weapons were located later.

Good times.

(We ended up going with the ambulance to the hospital so they could be treated.
    It was my first look at a working dog's handiwork... One loooooong stitch party).

7costanza, mtc, frank and 1 other person like this.
  2. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Not really an FTO story but close. I was on a shooting/homicide scene years ago. We had developed a possible suspect on scene and I caled the office and asked one of my guys to fax a photo array back to our command post van. When it was done he called back and said he had faxed it to the van. Det. XXX was standing nearby so I said "XXX do me a favor and go grab the 6pack from the van. 45 min. later I was looking for the 6pack and looked down the street. Det. XXX was standing next to a tricked out shag wagon just inside the crime scene, about 4 feet from our command van, with about 4 rookie cops. They all had their flashlights out, and the doors to the van were wide open. Det. XXX saw me and slowly walked over toward me and the boss shaking his head. "Sarge, we tossed the crap out of that van and could'nt find any beer. There is no beer in that van Boss."

CCCSD, mtc, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  3. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The wife of a guy I used to work with got hired by a town. He told us that on her first night, the roll call Sgt told one of the officers to put her through the PD's official FTO program. She rode with this officer who proceeded to drive to the end of every street that bordered another town while pointing out the town limits. After doing a complete circle of the town, the FTO turned to her and explained that she had been shown the limits of the town and that she needed to stay inside the town while working. The FTO then told her that she would eventually figure out everything else. They drove back to the station and explained to the Sgt that she had completed the PD's field training program.

4. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

[​IMG]

pahapoika likes this.
  5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I hope this happened a long, long time ago, unless of course it's a joke. If it's not a joke;
    While stories like this are funny at face value, it's a HUGE disservice to the officer. The FTO and the Sgt probably had a good laugh when she got back to the station. However, how would they have felt if she went out on her own with literally no field training and got herself seriously hurt or killed?

6. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

This was relayed to me in the mid 90 and the PD involved is much more professional now.

LA Copper likes this.
  7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Glad to hear it. Is your buddy's wife still with the department? If so, hopefully she's doing a better job at training the new people than was done for her.

8. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

They originally both moved from Mass to a southwest city to become police officers and got married after they were hired. They became home sick and retuned to Mass and eventually both got jobs here which is where I got to know them. They both realized that they liked it better at their old PD in the warm southwest and were able to get rehired. I assume that is where they remain today. This thread has brought up some more memories of FTO horror stories from that time period. Even though it wasn't that long ago, things are much better now.

LA Copper likes this.
  9. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Back when you could have a little fun on the job, I was acting as a FTO. I had my newbie in the car squared away guy. In Quincy there is a road Brockton Ave that kind of dead ends into a marshy area. There is a little dirt road across the marsh then you come to a small area of water. At low tide the water leaves a small puddle and mud, on the other side is the back of some open land. I tell the kid at low tide if you go real fast you can kind of skip the patrol car across the flats and come out on the other side. Obviously the kid has a brain and is very unbelieving. Anyway I back up to the end of the dirt road and start to floor the car, as we pick up speed I look across at the kid the look on his face was somewhere between ya lets do this, OMG and this guy is insane I'm going to die. His asking me, will this really work. I told him so old cops showed me how to do it. Anyway right before I get to the sand I put on the brakes and skid to a stop. I kind of used this as a teaching lesson because I told the kid if someone is doing something you think is wrong say something. Lesson yes but still fun as hell.

zm88, Johnny Law, mtc and 4 others like this.
  10. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

its more fun when you actually go" Dukes of Hazzard "

the important thing is don't get caught :)

BxDetSgt likes this.
  11. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

or have a good story, "Boss remember that burg thing a couple of months ago, well I could of sworn I saw that guy on the other side. As soon as he saw us he took off.";)

12. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Physics just wouldn't allow it. It would of been call for a tow I'm stuck in the mud. Sgt. would of said how did you get there. I dont know flash flood or something

pahapoika likes this.
  13. pahapoika

some guys justified it trying to kill an old sled and the rest of us did it out of boredom and a double dare :cool:

GARDA likes this.
  14. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Reading this, I kinda imagined it ending like such (watch the second car)

OCKS and Edmizer1 like this.
  15. pahapoika

apparently the best way to put out road flares is running over them ;)

mtc likes this.
  16. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Resurrecting an old (bookmarked) thread- because who doesn't love a little self-deprecating humor?!

A few weeks into FTO, my first day driving the roads. Working on familiarizing myself with the town on a long and winding road, when a SUV goes by 25+ over. Flip on the lights and siren and turn around to stop it, and after about a mile or so still have not caught up with it. As I'm reaching for the radio to call it out, my FTO calmly says "Might have a better shot of catching up to them if you don't go the speed limit."

Turned down a side road and shut it all down....

CCCSD, brk120, mtc and 6 others like this.
  17. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Its the long one on the right... ;)
    Good Quality Accelerator Pad.jpg

mtc, Kilvinsky, GARDA and 3 others like this.
  18. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

I had an FTO who took the training seriously and his training tips stay with me until this day. He volunteered to be an FTO many times .He could spot a bad guy a mile away, calm a whole family down during a domestic and talk a bigger guy into handcuffs. His compassion to crying relatives at a sudden death was amazing and above all....his reputation as a good cop was well known. He is still on the job but leaving soon. Great guy. I then when on to be an FTO and used his technique and good humor but not sure if I was ever as good as him.

CCCSD, BxDetSgt, LA Copper and 6 others like this.
  19. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Your Welcome.

Oh wait, you weren't talking about me. Sorry.

CCCSD, brk120, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  20. BlueknightLA

BlueknightLA MassCops Member

My first day working with this particular FTO, right out of roll call, he did his grocery shopping then parked and paid all his bills. Later in the day we want to have lunch a cash only restaurant. I realized I didn't have cash and asked him to stop at an ATM. He replied "we don't do personal business on duty." I sat there and watched him eat that day. Other than that first day, the guy was a great FTO and he showed me a lot.

sauce_actual and Goose like this.
  21. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Ok, seriously, my first (or second) week with my new department, I was riding with a guy. We left the station and rode in almost silence for the first 10-15 minutes. Then he unleashed an obscenity laced diatribe about not wanting to be a field training officer and how he was sick of being forced to be one. This lasted at least 20 minutes. I assured him that I had not asked for him, but it didn't matter.

within an hour of his rant, we became friends and are still to this day. Awesome guy, just made to do something he didn't want to do.

Last two weeks, I was MADE to be an FTO. Like I was in my time, my charge was experienced and NOT a rookie, so I didn't insult her by treating her as one. Where she came from probably instilled as much experience in her short time as I had amassed in my LONG time. We just enjoyed the conversation (war stories) and I would throw in stuff now and then to familiarize her with the sewer she had jumped.....sorry, to familiarize her with the MOST MAGNIFICENT PD...EVER. I hope if she were to log in and throw her comments in, she wouldn't say I was a DOUCHE. I didn't want the job and told her so, but in a MUCH NICER way than my friend had MANY years ago. But, I did the job that was required and tried to learn* her a few things.

*TEACH her. Oy, I sho am ignorant sometimes.
    He showed you that, no matter what the RULES say, you do what you gotta do. If you followed all the rules all the time, you'd be a candidate for a nuthouse in no time, BUT, you give the impression you DO follow the rules and avoid all the bullshit. Do your job but factor in reality and you will be fine. In fact, you'll probably be a better cop for it.

BlueknightLA likes this.