Your Best or Worst FTO Experiences Thread: | MassCops

Your Best or Worst FTO Experiences Thread:

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by GARDA, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

2. FourInchFury

FourInchFury MassCops Member

My FTO made me smoke angel dust with a gun to my head in the middle of a busy intersection.

Sometimes you just gotta expect the unexpected.

Rock, lofu, LawMan3 and 8 others like this.
  3. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Not the Angel Hernandez rookie years thread.

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Patiently waiting...

This thread has gold level potential written all over it.

5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

My FTO yelled at me once because I didn't want to pull over the only person on the road for not using a turn signal. This was after I got lectured by my Sergeant not to pull over cars for petty violations like plate lights.

I have plenty more that are best saved for a stool and a beer.

zm88, GARDA, RodneyFarva and 2 others like this.
  6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

I had a kid tell me to STFU on his first night of training. That did not end well for him.

gm7988, zm88, LA Copper and 7 others like this.
  7. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Our FTO had us doing a vehicle checkpoint one night in the middle of January. One of the cars rolled through with an expired inspection sticker. Officer XXX was up and was told to write the driver up. Officer XXX, no rocket scientist, wrote a parking ticket by mistake. The FTO went nuts and said "Officer go sit in the car and write a moving violation. A few minutes later as I was writing another tag I noticed the driver of Officer XXX's vehicle satnding outside of his car freezing in gym shorts, while Officer XXX wrote the viloation inside the vilators car, sitting next to the violators wife. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. After everything got straightend out the wife said to me "I thought it was odd at first, but when he asked for my husbands DOB, I knew he was a dope".

8. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

One day I am riding along with my FTO who was miserable in life as it was. Well she stops to allow a young woman to cross the street. Both of us are looking at her when my FTO says "Oh yeah, like your hair is really that blond!" I look at her and say, she's an albino, look a little closer. Her jaw dropped as she went pale herself. LOL!

BxDetSgt, USMCMP5811 and GARDA like this.
  9. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

I had a trainee do something similar. I removed her from the program. Her husband (Sgt.) explained to the chief that she was tired and hungry after 4 hours of training, and she had her period. She was immediately elevated to graduate status. I resigned as FTO the following week.

lofu, USMCMP5811, Bloodhound and 3 others like this.
  10. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

My second day out of the academy, my TO and I get a call of a large group of gang members shooting at each other. I'm excited and think he's gonna drive like crazy to get there. When he begins driving at just a little over regular speed, I asked why we weren't driving faster.

His response was, "Why should we get there faster? We'll just let them shoot each other and pick up what's left afterward." What could I say, that was the comment of a veteran.

BxDetSgt, USMCMP5811, mtc and 3 others like this.
  11. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Anyone who has FTO'd knows that some months are better than others, but I don't ever recall driving new officers crazy with some of the stuff I experienced at the hands of my FTO's:

Being told to keep both hands on the steering wheel at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3 for the entire shift, even though I had been driving for 16 yrs and had been operating an emergency vehicle in my previous job for several years. :eek:

Having one old timer (a fill-in FTO, not my assigned one) drive me to an intersection and then reel-in car after car, after car, after car... while he handed me License & Reg. after License & Reg. after License & Reg. without ever uttering a single word to me. I just began writing violations that I had observed without ever saying a word either. After almost an hour of this he asks, "Coffee?" Over that cup he didn't even mention whatever that hour was all about and as far as I know never looked at the citations I wrote. :confused:

And another one of my FTO's had just quit chewing tobacco the month I joined him... I was so screwed from the start. Whatever I may have learned from him has escaped me to this day because I only remember his nicotine deprived irritability. o_O

12. Goose

I forgot that I was assigned to the worst car in the fleet that didn't have a working siren, the passenger window switch wouldn't work, and the car couldn't accellerate fast enough to get out of it's own way.

I remember trying to back up a neighboring agency at an alarm call, and I was supposed to follow the officer to the scene, but had one little problem: I couldn't keep up with him.

It made traffic enforcement lots of fun. I shit you not, I told my Chief and he told me just to use the vehicle horn. Technically the patrol car couldn't be classified as an emergency vehicle because the siren wasn't working.

Glad I'm not there anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

13. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Back before FTO's, they just picked someone at random who was already working and stuck you with them for the shift.

A particular hair ball who had been on since the 70's when I got on just said "Keep your mouth shut and your hands off the radio". He then locked the power windows in the up position and lit shitty smelling stogies one after the other. I'm not kidding when I tell you it looked like Spicoli's van whenever we got out of the car. A cloud of smoke rolled out, and I sucked in whatever fresh air I could.

Dan Stark, USMCMP5811 and GARDA like this.
  14. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

I am not from the town I work at so learning the street is/was a pain in the ass. Mid conversation about whatever bs topic the FTO and I were on I'd get a "what street are we on?" and usually that was followed by me saying "ahhhhh....(scratch head)" so the cruiser would come to a stop and he would say, well go find out... And I would walk to the nearest street sign... I picked the streets up quick especially when your in full uniform walking down a side walk and everyone is staring at you

lofu and LGriffin like this.
  15. LA Copper

This type of thing happens all the time out in LA. As a boot out here, you better know where you are or the same thing happens, except you aren't walking to the nearest sign, you're running, or at least you better be; 'cause if you're not, you're gonna hear about it.

16. LA Copper

This type of FTO begs the question; Why is he a Field Training Officer if he's not going to Train you in the Field?

17. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

He was the exception not the rule LA, but I was still left with a WTF moment. :oops:

frank and LA Copper like this.
  18. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

I trained with a similar veteran. On night shift, had a call for a B&E into an auto body shop. I was full of adrenaline and whipped the cruiser around. "Grandpa" turned on the siren and told me to slow it down. I was like, WTF? He said he wanted to give the bad guys plenty of warning to get out of there so we wouldn't have to worry about them. Of course, this was that one in a million actual incident and not a false alarm...

frank likes this.
  19. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

It didn't happen to me, and it was a long time ago, but one of my academy classmates was riding with an old hairbag (which back in the day *WAS* our FTO program.)

At the end of the shift we were comparing notes: who got to talk on the radio,who got to write a citation or report. He told me that they got a call on the radio and when the senior officer acknowledged the call he un-keyed the mike, swore out loud, and threw the mike across the cruiser at my buddy's feet.

We both wondered why someone would be so mad at life. After 33 years in Po-leecin' I can honestly say I have never felt that way myself.... but I *DO* understand it!

20. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

I went to a report of a woman being chased down the middle of the street. I get to the call and it turns out that the report is accurate, a woman was running from her boyfriend after being beat up and had to have a good samaritan stop her car so she could get in for safety. We brought her back to her hotel room where we learned the boyfriend stole her gun was still on the run.

A short while later the boyfriend calls her and tells her to meet him at the hotel so we go instead. It's discussed that when we find him we're taking him down at gun point for obvious reasons.

We pull up and see him standing there out in front of the room eating pizza, a slice in his left hand and a plate in his right. I swing my door open and begin to draw down and then watch as my FTO just walks right up to him and starts talking to him.

After we arrested him I talked to my FTO about it and he said he walked up to him because he could see his hands. Thinking about it still makes me mad.

GARDA likes this.
  21. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Did you at least get some pizza?

zm88, USMCMP5811, pahapoika and 6 others like this.
  22. Auxofficer

Auxofficer MassCops Member

I hope someday I can share an experience, but until the this is one of the best threads in a while. Enjoying the stories :)
    Just my two cents.

23. Goose

I forgot my first day in uniform where I broke down the door of someones house and heroically rescued an unconscious...dummy. I'll be typing that one up later...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

24. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

In a few groups of new guys back, there was one kid who showed up to Acadwmy orientation late. He also showed up in shorts and flip flops.

Another new guy came in to do reports, but was caught with his feet up , reading a newspaper in the report room.

I swear I don't know WTF this new generation is thinking doing that kind of shit. That's why I don't become an FTO. I don't need that kind of stress.

Not to mention, I have my own routines like wiping down and sanitizing the MDT and all surfaces in the front seat that I touch. I love it baking hot in the winter and freezing cold in the summer in my car. Having a n00b would cut into my routine too much.

GARDA likes this.
  25. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

It was a hot humid August evening during my final month of FTO. As I am approaching the center of town on a main road, out darts an animal at the last minute...

[Plunk]>>[God Awful Smell]>>[Nausea].

I tagged a skunk about the size of a small dog. The FTO and I were in between laughter and nausea. We went in the station lobby and smelled so bad that the dispatcher wouldn't let us through the door. Washed the cruiser (didn't work), put some drops of skunk be gone on the tires, (stuff actually works), and after a few sprays of cologne I had in my truck, we were on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free