·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boston May Consider 'Congestion' Toll
Plan Aims To Cut Down On Traffic In Hub

POSTED: 6:14 am EST March 30, 2005
UPDATED: 7:31 am EST March 30, 2005

BOSTON -- Taking aim at the half-million commuters who clog city streets each day, a Boston city councilor is saying the Hub should consider charging a new "congestion" toll to drive in town.

NewsCenter 5's Gail Huff reported that the plan would be modeled after a toll adopted in London, where drivers have to pay $8 to drive inside the city. In Boston, commuters would have to pay $1 to $5 to drive in the city. Proceeds would go to funding road improvements and public transportation.

"I've got to say the traffic is absolutely appalling in London, so something had to be done," one London resident said.

In London, toll passes are purchased online, over the phone or on the street. Enforcement is carried out through a network of more than 800 cameras. Drivers face a $180 fine if they drive through London without a pass. City workers are not happy about it.

"It's going to cost us $2,000 a year ... a lot of money," another Londoner said.

Under the Boston plan, drivers would be charged to travel through congested neighborhoods such as Charlestown, Chinatown, downtown and the North End.

Cameras installed around town would record the license plate numbers of drivers who enter and charge them the toll if they haven't already purchased a pass.

A similar plan is under consideration in San Francisco. Since the toll went into effect in London two years ago, auto use in the city has decreased 30 percent.

G

·
Good idea, maybe the staties wont trap in the tunnels anymore ;), to dangerous.

Oh well what can you do? Tax tax tax.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
WTF? :roll: Only A City Councillor in the shitty of Boston could come up with an idea like that. Between Street Cleaning, Resident Parking Stickers and all the Loading Zones that the meter hags gig everyone the city doesnt have enough money. I live in a part of the city where thank god I have a driveway. A friend of mine isnt so lucky she probably gets hit for about 500.00 a year in parking tickets never mind when they start towing for snow emergencies. Maybe the city should start building more public garages so they can handle the flow of vehicles. All something like this will do is cause all the people that deliver to Boston to charge more money, and in the end everyone wil pay more and there will still be plenty of cars on every street :sb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.