Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice an increase in registered vehicles where the operator only has an X number license? I find that when running different plates the operator has an X number. I just don't get it, if they get their car registered why dont they get a license. Second question. I'm sure some of the troopers might have an answer to this. You run a plate on a MDT and all the vehicle info comes back and the registered owner shows an A or X number. Probable cause to stop the car??? The vehicle is properly registered but, does the registered owner have a proper license. I haven't effected any stops based on that. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you don't need a license to own a car or register one, just to operate it.... i don't think a X or A number showing on a Q2 of a plate would qualify for PC to stop a vehicle

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dh18 Yeah you are right, you don't need a license to register a vehicle, but what seems to be the case is that many people who come from other countries/states come to the fine commonwealth of massachusetts and take residency and register their vehicles without obtaining a mass license. Most of them have foreign drivers licenses or out of state license. This would result in operating without a license. I don't think that would fly as PC to stop a MV but I just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

Once a person takes up residency in MA they must obtain a valid Massachusetts drivers license or permit.

So you stop someone for a mv violation and the vehicle is registered to them, say they registered it 3 months ago, and they pawn off a license from Switzerland, they would have an X number listed under the R/O's info. Therefor, they are unlicensed, they have taken residency and registered their mv, therefor they are unlicensed.

It is PC to stop a MV where the operator shows a SUSP or REVO lick. Why not if their is no indication that the registered owner is duly licensed in the commonwealth of mass if the owner has properly registered their mv here.

I haven't conducted a stop for that, I just wanted to get some feedback on what others think. I'm sure that will be case law someday. :wink:

·
Registered
140 Posts
it might not be reason to stop a vehicle but maybe look at it harder :sly: ...

and the X and A numbers do provide a good way of tracking how long someone's been driving on an international license, which just opens up a whole other can of worms

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
I thought X #'s were assigned to out-of-state drivers for like NDR situations. Am I messed up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
right and I believe the RMV handles foreign licenses just like an out of state one with the state code being FR in the license history section of a license inquiry print...

·
Registered
165 Posts
My understanding of A and X numbers is as follows:

An "A" number is generated when an individual who is licensed in a jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth is cited in the Commonwealth. It gives the RMV an way of tracking driver history for potential suspension or revocation. Next time you get an "A" number, do a KQ on it and see the history. Sometimes the same person has multiple "A" numbers and the KQ (history) will overlap by incident date and entry date. The RMV is not very good about updating the entires when there are multiple numbers.

An "X" number is generated for purposes of ownership.

A= operation X=ownership FR= foreign license

The problem with FR is half of the "licenses" presented are not real foreign licenses and the FR is misleading to us on the street.

Residence and gainful employment in the Commonwealth for greater than 30 days requires getting a Mass license.

Typically those who are operating under legitimate foreign licenses are aware of the requirments and present their stamped passport and translation packet. Typically the others are BS. The best is when they hand you a foreign license that is expired.

Be aware that many European and Latin American countries state the day first and then the month when listing DOBs. When I used to dispatch, I would check the Mass RMV with DOBs listed both ways. Sometimes you would get a legitimate license listed with the DOB flipped.

·
Registered
334 Posts
masstroopers1 said:
EFG said:
X OR A NUMBER = Q2 ONE, NO LICENSE STATUS WILL SHOW UP, THERE IS YOUR P/C TO STOP THE CAR. VIVA BRAZIL
Ummm, without some case law to back that up, I would't go there. Having a known registered owner who is suspended or has a warrant is one thing, just b/c someone has an X or A # doesn't meant they're not duly licensed in another state. I write a guy from CT, he pays the fine, he gets an A number with no status. Someone from CT has a business in MA, he may well have vehicles registered here under an X number. YOU explain to the judge that they looked Brazilian. :BE:

Play it safe folks, find a MVV. Shouldn't be too tough.
Thanks MT1 - this answers the question I was asking. GPD seemed to be implying that if a person registers a vehicle in the Commonwealth, it is because they have taken residency here (at least that's how I was interpreting it). Too me it seemed that, barring a statute that says you must be a resident to register here (unlikely - MA will take anyone's money), it could be the case that they are driving w/o a valid license, but that isn't necessarily the case all the time.

-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
4,342 Posts
This is what I found

Residence and gainful employment in the Commonwealth for greater than 30 days requires getting a Mass license.
Actually the thirty days rule applies to registering MVs in MA. When you reside in MA or employ you have to get a license forthwith. You have no days available. Attorney Pat Rogers was contacted regarding having PC for a stop with an A or X number. East Bridgewater PD had this case and it was ruled that you can stop a car for an X or A number. I was told that Pat agreed that PC existed and when it went to Brockton District Court it was good. Now I don't know if that person appealed yet but so far it's good.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
Cool!
So I had it reversed....an A# license is an out of state driver with a Mass Cite. Thanks.
:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
X/A#'s

Running a plate and having the registered owner come back with either an "a" or "x" number alone does NOT give PC or RS to stop em.

Is it more reasonable than not that the person may have a license from another state or country? Yes

(Funny enough, from experience its seems they are more often then not unlicensed or suspended somewhere).

But X and A numbers, without a license/right to operate status do not give PC/RS to stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts