WWII veteran receives medals, 67 years overdue | MassCops

WWII veteran receives medals, 67 years overdue

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 2, 2013.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

WWII veteran receives medals, 67 years overdue

Published February 02, 2013
    FoxNews.com
    • [​IMG]
      World War II veteran John Warhola appears with medals he earned in combat. (MyFoxPhilly.com)
    More than 60 years after completing his military career, a Pennsylvania World War II veteran has finally received the medals he earned while serving in Europe.
    John Warhola, 87, received eight of the medals he tried for years to get on Friday, thanks to the efforts of his granddaughter and Rep. Bob Brady, D-Pa., MyFoxPhilly.com[​IMG] reports.
    Warhola had already been awarded the Purple Heart and a good conduct medal, but he also earned several other medals that never came after his discharge 67 years ago.
    "I thought I deserved them," Warhola told MyFoxPhilly.com. "I fought for what I thought was the right thing to do at time."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/02/wwii-veteran-receives-long-overdue-medals/?test=latestnews#ixzz2JkEZrklj

2. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

My Step-Father went to his grave waiting for his WWII medals. I could have got him his medals at Fort Devens, but he insisted that he wanted them issued to him from the US Navy.

3. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Awesome! better late than too late!
    ;)

CPT Chaos likes this.
  4. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

That's just not right. These guys deserve the medals and there is no reason to die not having them. Especially when you are talking CIB and Bronze Stars.