WTS: S&W model 64 | MassCops

WTS: S&W model 64

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by 14Paul, Feb 25, 2009.

1. 14Paul

14Paul MassCops Member

Listing this for a friend of mine. It's a S&W model 64 .38 special stainless w/4" barrel. The gun is in very good condition. Asking $300 in the Boston area. Must have minimum LTC-B. Can do FTF or FFL at buyers expense.

I will comply with all Federal and State Laws. If the firearm is to be shipped, you must provide me with a signed copy of your dealer's FFL (or your 03FFL if this is a Curio and Relic). For private party face-to-face transactions (only permitted by Fed law when both buyer and seller live in same state), I will meet all applicable state and federal laws.

2. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Isn't that what the special in Boston carry

3. 14Paul

14Paul MassCops Member

Yes it is.

4. Simon

Simon Guest

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It would meet the requirements.

6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

We carried 64's and 65's untill 1997. Used a +P+ load. Good firearm but a long trigger pull.

7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

What dash # is it? (ex 65-2) is it a Pre-lock?
    (Real S&W afficionadoes want to know)
    :confused:

8. 14Paul

14Paul MassCops Member

I don't have that info right now, but will get it for you. It is pre-lock.

9. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

How much

10. 14Paul

14Paul MassCops Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back here & post. It is a model 64-1

:confused: I believe in the very first post, it states " asking $300"
    (hope I did post with a price):?

11. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

yes you did my bad

12. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

I think DOC converted over to S&W sigmas, or someting.....not revolvers anymore.....Saw new guns on the transpo guys...

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yep....I believe a former DOC member here told me they have SIG-Sauer P239's.

It's funny...I worked for years in the housing projects of Roxbury, carrying a Model 10 revolver, and didn't think twice about it. Now, the thought of even transportation people carrying revolvers is frightening.

14. mpd61

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

If it's a pencil barrel 64, it's worth more than $300 because I've never seen or even heard of one. I believe all 64's (stainless) have the bull barrel.

As an aside, my 10 looks exactly like the one on the left, minus the lanyard ring.

16. mpd61

HA! Caught ya Bruce!
    the Model 64 started life in 1970 with the pencil barrel and went heavy barrel version only in 1973. I actually probably just answered my own question...A 64-1 is the introduction of the heavy barrel.
    :cool:
    If you feel comfortable, PM me the serial# and I'll tell you what year your model 10 was produced. I have the 3rd Edition of The Complete Catalogue of Smith & Wesson (Supica/Nahas)

17. 14Paul

14Paul MassCops Member

18. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

for awhile it was just DOC and Suffolk County carrying revolvers.

Suffolk went over to Glocks about 2 years ago and DOC went over to Sig Pros 2340 around last year. ( no longer made )

guess Boston Specials are the last to carry the revolvers ?

19. mpd61

Model 64 in Very Good condition is valued at $250 on page 225 In 3rd Edition of previously identified book. I'd gladly pay that much.
    ;)

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

NYPD made transition optional (considering you have to buy your own handgun), so you can still see some revolvers with the older cops in the Big Apple.

21. mpd61

PM Sent....

22. beorne

beorne New Member

PM sent

23. dingbat

dingbat New Member

I've been shooting my 64-6 3" alot lately. With a 4" barrel, this thing would be an absolute kitten to shoot. Really comfortable gun for plinking. :D

24. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Something like 3,000 NYPD Police Officers still carry revolvers. However, that number is rapidly going down due to retirements.

Revolvers are a good first gun and a good concealed carry/back-up gun. With modern semi-autos there is no reason you couldn't trust a semi-auto as a primary duty gun.