Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would check here before I order one. Looking for either a Mirage or regular nylon model, right hand. I may consider other SW99 duty holsters

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dan H, how do you like the SW99? I am considering buying one. Have you had any problems with it, notice anything that you don't really care for?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not Dan, but I'll give my $0.02 on the Walther P99 .40 anyway. [Probably same as S&W 99, as even the Walther has a S&W mfd slide . . . the Walther uses a German made frame.]

I like the P99 .40 that I own very much and it is my secondary carry gun (S&W 1911 is primary). I've run a few thousand rounds thru mine and it handles well. I'm bringing it with me as a backup gun (in case the 1911 has a failure) when I take two tactical defensive handgun courses (in Tyngsboro) this June and July.

When I took a tactical defensive handgun course with Jim Crews, Marksman's Enterprises last Summer http://www.marksmans.com Jim was using a S&W 99 .45 while teaching the course and he found it a very good gun.

Only gotcha is that if you get the gun in .40, do NOT buy any Walther marked mags!! The baseplates blow out due to poor quality plastic. I've blown out ~9 baseplates (5 mags, S&W replaced them finally with S&W marked baseplates). It's a known problem and the only assurance is to use the S&W marked baseplates (different plastic and work fine). This is a problem that could kill you in a defensive shoot situation! I've had the mag tube stick in the grip and all other parts on the ground after the first shot. NO problem with S&W mags/baseplates.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I typed a nice lenghty reply to this thread yesterday, and it doesn't seem to have gotten through. Here is the quick version:
I got mine slightly used (50 rounds) and have taken it out once for about 70rnds.

Pros:
*****Traditional double action, ie single action ability
*****Interchangeable front sight posts and adjustable rear sight
*****Interchangeable grip backstraps for different size hands
*****Better (to me) grip angle than a Glock
***More universal accessory rail, compared to the one on the walther
*****Maintenance and takedown just as easy as a Glock
*****Excellent placement of mag release, great for carry
*****Very accurate, even first time in hand.
****Slide stop releases slide smooth as butter

Cons: (maybe too picky)
- Grip didn't fit me perfect because I dion't have the larger grip insert
- More trigger uptake before release on single action
However learning the reset point makes for easy double taps

All in all it is a very refined piece that with the exception of the walther mag issue, I have heard nothing but good things as far as realiability. With it's more traditional grip angle it won't ruin you for your other guns, like I feel a Glock does. They do now offer a DAO model known as the SW990 that got a pretty good review in Guns and Ammo's "Handguns" mag for June/July. I think both would be great choices to consider.
What other guns are you considering?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dan H - Thanks for the reply. I am looking to buy soon and the SW99 was the first to catch my eye. I have done some online research about a few other pistols but the SW99 is the lead candidate right now. I know there are better pistols out there but I don't want to pay the big bucks for a Sig or a H&K. I have read about the magazine base plate issue with the Walther mags and I also read about a PD that was having problems with the rear sights breaking off mostly caused by wear and tear in a cruiser enviornment, supposedly by getting whacked by the metal parts of seatbelts and other impacts. I also read about a problem with the slide stop engaging after every shot and locking the slide open as if the gun had fired the last round. I read many positive things about the SW99 as well. I hope you don't mind me asking but it sounds like you made a good find with that slightly used pistol. How much did you pay for it? Did you purchase from a gun shop or from a private seller?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
militia_man";p="65450 said:
I also read about a problem with the slide stop engaging after every shot and locking the slide open as if the gun had fired the last round. How much did you pay for it? Did you purchase from a gun shop or from a private seller?
Was that slide locking issue widespread? Sometimes people shooting style causes that if your thumb drifs up. I meant to try this when first testing the gun to see how far out of my normal grip my thumb would have to move to cause this. I just looked it over right now and it seem that the molded spot for you thumb slightly prevents accidentally slipping up. If you have you thumb on the slide stop it takes barely any for to push it up high enough to lock the slide.
Another good point I forgot to metion, although there is no external hammer to cock it for single action it only takes a hair over 1/4" of slide travel to cock it. So it can be cocked while you have a round chambered and a full mag if you need it to. One other picky point, the mag release is hard to push when you have a full 10rd mag in place. I'm not sure if the same go for the 12's. They do release nicely when empty. I won't complain.
I found this one privately for $425 which I thought was pretty good for the condition. I had almost considered going to check out a P-99 for $450 at Four Seasons for $450. Now Four Seasons have had a few used SW99's go through for 399. I wouldn't worry about getting a used one, they don't really take much for maintnence.
I wouldn't have minded added a Sig 226R to my collection, but the $300 I saved can buy alot of other things right now.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The article about the slide sticking open didn't make mention of it being caused by accidental slide-stop engagement. It was some mechanical problem, the details to which I forget. I will likely give a used SW99 or SW990 a try. If I don't like it I can sell it and get something else. It's not like the gun will lose a great deal of value like a car does.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that is how I usually justify being them. You would be better off with a used one though. Look at these prices: http://www.agguns.com/ag/newguns/smith99.html
This seems alittle high. I think SW99's are usually around $550 most places. Alot do seem to sell used around $400, so $150 is a pretty big hit to take on one if you decide you don't like it. I would think the used value of 400 will stay like that for quite awhile.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a pretty good deal so I ordered one, thanks for the heads up. I was almost ready to get a regular nylon one on ebay for the same price...... glad I didn't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well unfortunately I have to report some pretty bad service from Uncle Mike's. I ordered this holster about a month ago and still don't have it. I called to check on it the first week of may and was told the order was waiting to be shipped from the warehouse. I call today and find out that my order was canceled and I wasn't notified. Also there system shows that two other people are in the same boat waiting for a call. I hope it's no one else from this board. I'd have to say that is some pretty bad customer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts