Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was just pulled over for the first time ever and given a written warning for "running a red light". Does this go on my record? Does this affect my 'points' here in MA? How long until it isn't really looked at poorly? I hate having this on my record and feel it was unfair. (I'm very proud of my driving etiquette and driving record.)

Anyway, I thought since this was my first offense I would have received only a verbal warning - if anything. I tried to ask the cop (I had two cops for my "red light stop") but he wouldn't speak to me. I thought about calling the police station to ask a couple questions regarding a written warning but found this website and thought I would give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Warnings do not go on your driving record. The police officer isn't going to have a conversation with you in the road as it is a safety hazard for him/her. Besides, most people want to argue about the ticket anyway. He/she probably wrote a warning because of your lack of a driving record, instead of a cash ticket. BTW, 89-9 red light/stop sign violations are now $150, be glad you got only a warning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warnings do not go on your driving record. The police officer isn't going to have a conversation with you in the road as it is a safety hazard for him/her. Besides, most people want to argue about the ticket anyway. He/she probably wrote a warning because of your lack of a driving record, instead of a cash ticket. BTW, 89-9 red light/stop sign violations are now $150, be glad you got only a warning.
Did I miss the memo on that one? I think you are quoting the MGL. I don't think the assessment has changed from $100, but I am usually wrong about everything. Just ask Grasshopper.

·
1,952 Posts
Did I miss the memo on that one? I think you are quoting the MGL. I don't think the assessment has changed from $100, but I am usually wrong about everything. Just ask Grasshopper.
hahahahaha:L:

Its one of those ones that is changed by the courts to a lower assessment that the MGL specifies, $100 for 1st, $150 for 2nd offense

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Hello! I was just pulled over for the first time ever and given a written warning for "running a red light". Does this go on my record? Does this affect my 'points' here in MA? How long until it isn't really looked at poorly? I hate having this on my record and feel it was unfair. (I'm very proud of my driving etiquette and driving record.)

Anyway, I thought since this was my first offense I would have received only a verbal warning - if anything. I tried to ask the cop (I had two cops for my "red light stop") but he wouldn't speak to me. I thought about calling the police station to ask a couple questions regarding a written warning but found this website and thought I would give it a try.
Wait wait wait...youre complaining about receiving a warning? Take a hike.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
I know really... you should feel lucky you didn't get a ticket...I would have loved you to call the p.d. when I was working. I get people that call all the time because they "unfairly" got a ticket. But, this takes the cake. You didn't get a ticket and your still complaining. Yeesh!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
No need to jump on the kid, everybody...at least it didn't come back here whining or start insulting us.

Just sayin'.:cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
WAIT - is there some statue I dont know about, that says you only get a verbal warning the first time?

Man, you sit and watch traffic then you arent doing your job... but pull someone over and your a jerk...

Just cant win!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This idiots philosophy is since I don't have a driving history I should only get a verbal warning. How many verbal warnings has he received already. He would never deserve to get his first ticket with this thinking. Plus it was just a warning.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
I belive in always at least giving a written warning on a traffic stop. It shows that you are out making stops and can verifiy what you are doing with some of your time while on patrol.

It can also be helpful to disprove some random asshat, citizen trying to get you in trouble by claiming you were goofing off; simply because you P.C.ed their ass last weak.

I like to call written warnings "receipts of time".

·
...---...
1,620 Posts
You my friend are an asshole! The fact that you are on here complaining about getting a warning instead of a money ticket proves my point. And god forbid a second Officer arrives on scene to backup a his fellow Officer on a traffic stop! As far as small talk, look at the citation, (WARNING no action required by violator). And when you do get a money ticket the Officer might just say "read the rear of the citation, appeal the ticket in court not on the street, have a nice day."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts