Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Associated Press - August 30, 2008 3:04 PM ET

EVERETT, Mass. (AP) - Pro wrestling pioneer Walter "Killer" Kowalski has died from the affects of a massive heart attack. He was 81.
Kowalski died at Whidden Hospital in Everett early Saturday, 12 days after his family decided to take him off life support. Kowalski had been in critical condition in the hospital since his heart attack on Aug. 8.
His death was confirmed by a funeral director at Weir Funeral Home in Malden and on Kowalski's Web site.
The 6-foot-7, 285 pound Kowalski earned his nickname in 1954 after brutally dropping opponent Yukon Eric during a match in Montreal. He later became famous for various moves, including a stomach vice grip called the "Killer Clutch."
After retiring, Kowalski opened a wrestling school in Malden.
He leaves his wife, Theresa. A memorial service is scheduled at Weir Funeral Home on Wednesday.

http://www.wwlp.com/Global/story.asp?S=8926563

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I had no idea he was from around here..See how much longer they live when they dont do thousands of dollars in roids a month.

G

·
Another piece of my childhood gone.....I had the pleasure of meeting Killer out of character a couple of times, and his nickname couldn't be further from the truth; a true gentleman who always made time for fans.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I think he was a little before my time, not much though. I rmember meeting Bob Backlund and Roddy Piper both very nice guys. I was bummed when Andre The Giant passed, to me he was the greatest. Others that I really enjoyed Sgt Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Jimmy Superfly Snooka..man there were so many.

G

·
I think he was a little before my time, not much though. I rmember meeting Bob Backlund and Roddy Piper both very nice guys. I was bummed when Andre The Giant passed, to me he was the greatest. Others that I really enjoyed Sgt Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Jimmy Superfly Snooka..man there were so many.
Killer may have still been wrestling when I was a kid, but if so I don't remember it. He was a manager/trainer who would occasionally jump into the fray for his wrestler when I saw him on TV.

The names of my youth were Pedro Morales, Bruno Sammartino, Chief Jay Strongbow, Mil Mascaras, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkel, Larry Zybysko, Andre the Giant, Haystacks Calhoun, Professor Toru Tanaka & Mister Fuji.....the list goes on.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I remember alot of those and so many others...Hulk Hogan was one of my favorites at the time....the match when Andre let him beat him and passed the torch to him...but the last 5-7 yrs of him and his family have completely ruined it...I just went on a website to refresh my memory.. and half of them are dead...Heres some you will remember that are dead.
The Von Erichs
Bam Bam Biggolo
Earthquake
Eddie Guerrero
Moondog
Road Warrior Hawk
Miss Elizabeth
Curt Henig
Davey Boy Smith
Owen Hart
Rick Rude
Junk yard Dog
Big Jon Studd...I cant even believe them all....STEROIDS...gottta be

G

·
Wow....I knew some of them were dead, but not all of them; Bam Bam Bigelow, Davey Boy Smith & Junk Yard Dog, I had no idea.

·
Registered
466 Posts

EVERETT, Mass. (AP) - Pro wrestling pioneer Walter "Killer" Kowalski has died from the affects of a massive heart attack. He was 81.
He leaves his wife, Theresa, and a nephew "Killer Carl" Kowalski, A selectman from Whitman Mass, and Senior Vice president and hater of Police at Massasoit Community College. A memorial service is scheduled at Weir Funeral Home on Wednesday.

http://www.wwlp.com/Global/story.asp?S=8926563
Jeezus!
It's a small world ain't it? Who would've guessed?
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
That was REAL...I thought it was some sort of joke between the 2 of you or someone here that works for that Dept....They actually printed that...confused...

G

·
That was REAL...I thought it was some sort of joke between the 2 of you or someone here that works for that Dept....They actually printed that...confused...
Ummm....no, they didn't;

Kowalski died at Whidden Hospital in Everett early Saturday, 12 days after his family decided to take him off life support. Kowalski had been in critical condition in the hospital since his heart attack on Aug. 8.

His death was confirmed by a funeral director at Weir Funeral Home in Malden and on Kowalski's Web site.

The 6-foot-7, 285 pound Kowalski earned his nickname in 1954 after brutally dropping opponent Yukon Eric during a match in Montreal. He later became famous for various moves, including a stomach vice grip called the "Killer Clutch."

After retiring, Kowalski opened a wrestling school in Malden.

He leaves his wife, Theresa. A memorial service is scheduled at Weir Funeral Home on Wednesday.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Ok...well I wouldnt make fun of the dead...so sorry....like I said I thought it was some sort of inside joke...
Oh jeez, I'm one of the few who probably gets it...He wasn't making fun of the dead, he was poking at the Massasoit guy! I don't think he's very popular with the Whitman P.D. either.

·
Subscribing Member
364 Posts
The names of my youth were Pedro Morales, Bruno Sammartino, Chief Jay Strongbow, Mil Mascaras, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkel, Larry Zybysko, Andre the Giant, Haystacks Calhoun, Professor Toru Tanaka & Mister Fuji.....the list goes on.
- Memories of many Saturday mornings spent wrestling with my siblings. Good times...

G

·
- Memories of many Saturday mornings spent wrestling with my siblings. Good times...
For awhile, the ER at Quincy City Hospital had reserved parking for my parents until they figured out how my brother and I were getting those catastrophic injuries every Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
About 15 years ago Killer "came out of retirement" at my Dept's Union fundraiser. At around 65 years old he wrestled George the Animal Steele (or Nicolai Volkov - can't remember which one) and won!!!! We thought about filing and elder abuse report on Steele but opted not to. Killer was a great man and he loved nothing more than to sign autographs for the kids. (and a few of us adults!!).

G

·
Killer was a great man and he loved nothing more than to sign autographs for the kids. (and a few of us adults!!).
I remember reading somewhere that Killer and his wife were unable to have children, which is one reason he really took a liking to kids.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts