Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JACKSON, N.J. (AP) - Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey is opening the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster this spring - a thrill ride that accelerates to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds and rises 456 feet off the ground.

Plans for Kingda Ka, which is expected to be the cornerstone of new development at the central New Jersey amusement park, were to be unveiled Wednesday.

The current speed and height record holder is "Top Thrill Dragster" at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. Made by Intamin - the same company Six Flags hired to build Kingda Ka - Dragster shoots riders to 120 mph in 4 seconds and takes them to a height of 420 feet.

An animated depiction of Kingda Ka shows the coaster creeping slowly, stopping and then launching forward horizontally at nearly 130 mph before climbing at a 90-degree angle more than 45 stories above the park.

The coaster then spirals 270 degrees as it plummets, flattens out and climbs again as it shoots over a 129-foot hill, which the company says will make riders feel weightless. It's over in about 50 seconds.

"This is the first step in a process of really transforming Six Flags Great Adventure from the largest regional theme park in the world to a true regional destination," Kieran Burke, chief executive officer of Oklahoma City-based Six Flags, told The Associated Press.

Six Flags last year had 35 million visitors at 31 parks. In July, it reported a 3.3 percent attendance drop compared with last year.

Duane Marden, 35, a Brookfield, Wis., computer programmer who runs the online Roller Coaster Data Base, has ridden the Ohio coaster twice and calls it "a very intense experience." He expects the one in New Jersey to quickly become popular with enthusiasts.

"Anybody on the East Coast who is into roller coasters is going to be on this ride very soon," he said.
The Six Flags in NJ worth the trip and this makes it really worth it.!
Can't wait to get my ass kicked at 130mph in 4 seconds :D
Click here for pics!!

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Wish I was a physics major, then I could figure out how far your body would be thrown if the restraint bar gave out. :shock:

·
Registered
59 Posts
RPD931 @ Sat 09 Oct said:
Wish I was a physics major, then I could figure out how far your body would be thrown if the restraint bar gave out. :shock:
Don't worry, that only happens at the agawam six flags :D

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I've successfully avoided roller coasters all my life until this summer. The first roller coaster I ever went on was that Superman ride... :shock:

I can't imagine anything worse than that.... plus, that bald dancing guy on 6 Flags commercials freaks me out

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
The current speed and height record holder is "Top Thrill Dragster" at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. Made by Intamin - the same company Six Flags hired to build Kingda Ka - Dragster shoots riders to 120 mph in 4 seconds and takes them to a height of 420 feet.
I had the opportunity to ride the coaster at Cedar Point in Ohio. It was by far the best coaster I have ever been on. The ride from take-off to stop was only 22 seconds. It was well worth the 45 minute wait in line.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr.Magoo @ Sat 09 Oct said:
I had the opportunity to ride the coaster at Cedar Point in Ohio. It was by far the best coaster I have ever been on. The ride from take-off to stop was only 22 seconds. It was well worth the 45 minute wait in line.
Thanks for the info Magoo. I will be on the NJ hopefully next year! I have been on 25-35 coasters in my life and Superman is my fav of all of them. I think this new one will overtake the top spot. :jump:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
MSP75 @ 11 Oct 2004 09:06 said:
He is Freedy Kruger after the kids stopped believing in him. He had to change carrers.
Actually I heard it's some 26 year old actor in good make-up
:?

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
130mph breaks down to 190.58 feet per second

To find out what your weight equals in force at a speed use : (W)eight X (S)peed = (F)orce

For example: 180lbs X 130 mph = 23,400 lbs of Force (thats right 23 THOUSAND) :shock:

ATKINS anyone? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.