World War II veteran to return 'souvenir' Japanese sword | MassCops

World War II veteran to return 'souvenir' Japanese sword

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Sep 14, 2013.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

World War II veteran to return 'souvenir' Japanese sword

Published September 14, 2013
    Associated Press
    • [​IMG]
      Sept. 10, 2013: Orval Amdahl, 94, of Lanesboro, Minn, holds a sword he took from Japan when he was a captain in the Marines in 1945, at his home in Lanesboro, Minn. (AP)
    LANESBORO, Minn. – A 94-year-old veteran from southeastern Minnesota plans to return a sword he took from Nagasaki, Japan, as a token of his time during World War II.
    “At first, I kept it as a souvenir,” said Orval Amdahl, of rural Lanesboro. “Then, all of a sudden, I began thinking — someone had to own this.”
    Amdahl said he got the sword because he was a Marine captain in the war. Over the years he kept the sword in good condition. He tried contacting people about the sword but had no luck.
    Then Caren Stelson asked to interview him for a book she's writing about the dropping of the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki that ended the war in 1945. Amdahl mentioned the sword.
    “I showed it to her, and it blossomed from there,” he told the Post-Bulletin of Rochester. "She has people in Nagasaki she can work with."
    Stelson used those contacts to find Tadahiro Motomura, the grandson of the Japanese military officer who once owned the sword.
    Amdahl will hand the sword to Motomura during a ceremony Sept. 21 at the Charlotte Partridge Ordway Japanese Garden at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in St. Paul, which is a sister city to Nagasaki.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/14/world-war-ii-veteran-from-minnesota-to-return-japanese-sword/#ixzz2es3VZw98

corsair likes this.
  2. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

Wouldn't it be funny if he changed his mind and used the sword to cut the heads off of bicyclists at the BU Bridge? just saying.............