Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just curious as to what campus departments have for a work week and whether
or not you like the schedule... we have a 5 and 2 schedule (same days off every week) :( but we barely have enough officers to cover the shifts as it is. There
are always grumblings about wanting to go to a different work schedule, but
no serious talk about it now. I have also heard that we don't have enough
officers to cover any other type of schedule anyway...(?) Just wanted to get
other people's thoughts/opinions on this one...

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
My dept like yours had fixed days off...we bid shifts about every 6 months...personally I'd like to be on a 4 and 2, however many of our senior officers that have their weekends off and don't want to give them up. Often when we have shift bidding someone gets displaced or gets their days changed and they get all p*ssed..I feel a rotating schedule would eliminate some of that and everyone would get a weekend off every few weeks..besides you get to your days off a little faster.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For us.....it's not a manpower issue......for each shift you would need 3 officers and a SGT. I have a template for a pretty nice 4-2 schedule if you are intrested.

The reason why we don't have it is because if we have it the janitors would have to have it too. Pretty ridiculous huh?

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have a regular schedule with the same days off.. Its nice for us who have part time jobs but I'd kinda like a 4 and 2 schedule. It can be done with a minimum of 9 people but unfortunately working for a State College we are in the same union as the guys and girls who sweep the floors and wash the windows... Off topic :pc: but we have no business being in a union with janitors, and of course since we are in the same union they could grieve our 4 and 2 schedule so they get the same 4 and 2 schedule!!!

Why is SSPO#11 David Ortiz :F:

·
Registered
109 Posts
A 4 days on, 2 days off rotating schedule would give you 17 additional days off per year (as compared to a 5&2 non-rotating schedule).

The 4&2 is a popular, but not the only option. Some departments work 5&3 schedules (slightly longer workdays than 4&2) but you now have 3 consecutive days off.

Fixed schedules may encourage sick leave abuse because employees are unable to attend weekend social events and functions. They have been criticized as harsh and a source of dissatisfaction for many employees. Especially the "junior" officers where schedules are awarded by seniority. I believe the Massachusetts DOC operates on this fixed system.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
at Emerson we just won a 4x2 at the behest of the college "my opinion". Right now we are on a 5x2. As a seinor officer with 1 weekend day off ide be glad to give that up for a Junior officer to have one once. Any officer who wouldnt give up their days off for a 4x2 is just plain selfish and is the type that probly wouldnt back up his co-workers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kinda off topic but staying with the scheduling theme. What about shift bidding? Unfortunately we do not shift bid. I like the idea, its a morale booster and can give people the incentive to stay with the department because seniority will actually meen something!

·
Registered
61 Posts
At Amherst College we Just went to 4- 10 hr shifts, no rotating day's off. We do get three day's off in a row though. 8)

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I feel we (State College Officers) could adopt the 4x2 schedule with little or no grievance from the janitors because they would not want to give up the 7-3 with weekends off lifestyle they enjoy now :sl: . I feel this is just another one of the many lies we hear in regards to any change for the better. :x

·
Registered
99 Posts
At Holyoke Comunity College, we work a five-on, two-off schedule and do not rotate shifts. The only time a shift come up for bid-is if (and when) an officer leaves the department, or, if two (or more) officers want to switch shifts and no other officer 'has a problem with it.'

For us.....it's not a manpower issue......for each shift you would need 3 officers and a SGT. I have a template for a pretty nice 4-2 schedule if you are intrested.
My department only has nine officers... three sergeants, six patrol officers. That breaks down to three officers per shift. Add in RDOs and you have two officers on shift. Several days of the week, my department only has ONE (1) officer on duty for the enitre campus.

So my question to you is, how big is that 4-2 schedule template? Would you post it, if not would you e-mail it to me at [email protected]

A 4 days on, 2 days off rotating schedule would give you 17 additional days off per year (as compared to a 5&2 non-rotating schedule).
Now that's yet another reason that makes 4-2 worth looking into!

At Amherst College we Just went to 4- 10 hr shifts, no rotating day's off. We do get three day's off in a row though. 8)
How many officers do you have on board, and how many work per shift?
What are the shift hours in your work schedule, and how do they overlap?

Good topic people!

Work safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fitchburg State has a 5 on 2 off (fixed days) schedule with a 10 man roster. We do bid for shifts once a year (in Sept.), and have in the recent past have tried to go to a 4 and 2 but it was not an accepted move department wide. Our minimum staffing is one officer dispatching and one in the cruiser at all times. We are shorthanded and it is a strain on all of us, however we are getting by real well I think.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
5/2 here.

Same old story, 4/2 would conflict with cooks/maintainers/clerks. Nice thing is our PO's have Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon schedule. 4/3 would be cool, we have the manpower, just not the union.
:?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sure I will send you the 4-2 Model I made.......This here is based on 2 Officers on the road at all times. We currently have two full time dispatchers Mon-Fri and some part-time/reserves that fill in on weekeds. The Overnight shift does not have a dispatcher so there is a desk officer that covers that. Usually it's the lowest senority man or the biggest idiot stays on the desk.

Each Shift

Days: Evening: Overnight:
Sgt- Sgt- Sgt-
Ptlm-1 Ptlm-1 Ptlm-1
Ptlm-2 Ptlm-2 Ptlm-2
Ptlm-3 Ptlm-3 Ptlm-3
Ptlm-4

We could actually do this with the personnel that we have right now BUT......the AFSCME stuff comes into play. Also they move us around so much it's like a big game of chess.......put people where they feel the most "uncomfortable" GRRR....okay I am done.

I sent you a copy of the template!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sgt 110-
How many officers do you have on board, and how many work per shift?
What are the shift hours in your work schedule, and how do they overlap?

Good topic people!

Work safe.[/quote]
We have ten full time officer's, One Sgt. and a few part timer's. There are two on from 7-5, two on from 4-2, and two on from 9-7. Plus the Sgt. Wed-Sat

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
We have a 2 week rotating schedule... i.e. Week 1, week 2, week 1, week2, and so on. We get every other weekend off and don't work more than 4 days straight.

My cycle looks like this: 4 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on, 2 days off

6 weeks off a year is nice too...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the input everyone... I wouldn't have thought that there would have been such a wide variety of schedules out there. Sounds like some departments are quite open to change while others like mine are more resistant. I have to shake my head and laugh with those of you who have to share your scheduling with the janitors and such... just goes to show everyone else that administrations still can't accept the fact that we are a police department which requires our own set of needs. For a while, I don't know of this still stands, but the admin was counting secretaries and security officers (non-armed, non-police) as police officers and therefore said we were at our max for hiring any more officers! At UML, the administration (non police personnel) seem to give the orders around here and no one wants to stand up and fight. Of course, we don't have a chief right now, but that is a different story... :shock:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here at curry we do a 5 and 2, details suck because they dont go by rank they just shoot out a department wide email and if you dont keep up you loose out

·
Registered
6 Posts
in reply to sgt 110. i work for a small agency with the exact make up as your own. 3 sgt. 6 patrol officers. we have a four and two with two officers a shift. it actually works that we cover each others days off so that i work with the sgt two days and the other patrolman two days. of course any day off has to be covered with OT. or reserve officers.

Posted Sat 07 Aug, 2004 21:25:

i'm sorry i just read my last post and it makes no sense. let me try again.

lets say we start on a sunday.

sun. mon tue wed thur fri sat
sgt sgt sgt sgt sgt

ptlmn1 ptlmn1 ptlmn1 ptlmn1

ptlmn2 ptlmn2 ptlmn2 ptlmn2 ptlmn2

in a 4 and 2 your days off rotate so if i'm ptlmn1 with sun/mon off my next days off will be sat/sun and just keeps rotating. the days off i referred to that had to be covered with OT or reserves was not my scheduled days off but i meant when someone took a holiday/vacation/sick day etc. another thing that has to be worked out with your management is that if sunday is one of your scheduled days off which is 2 weeks of the schedule you actually don't work 40 hrs. that week (sun. through sat.) so if you work an extra shift is it OT or straight time? we had that worked out by contract so i hope it is something your union can help you with. hope this helps more than my last post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.