Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better to work for: Worcester State College or Worcester Polytechnic Institue? And why? :roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
WSC. Low pay but state
WPI. Well paid but private.

IMO If you are looking for a carrer in CPD get in the State system. If you are looking for a resume builder and want to move on to a city/townPD in a few years, make as much money as possible.

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
Lets see, $13.00hr State College or $20.00+hr Private College????? Zuke, Don’t kid yourself it is always about the money

·
Registered
267 Posts
mazz @ Tue 02 Nov said:
Lets see, $13.00hr State College or $20.00+hr Private College????? Zuke, Don't kid yourself it is always about the money
I didn't know it was that much.
*stops kidding shelf*

WPI all the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
From what i got is the following:

1.WSC= 1.Low pay
2. but the benefits are great
3. unarmed

2.WP1= 1. Decent Pay (over 30k to start)
2. benefits are good
3. armed
4.Chief former State trooper (???)

About the duties I don't know if they are more into security (locking and opening buildings, etc) or actually do police work in a campus environment. And about their administration anti or pro police?? :roll:

·
1,334 Posts
I take classes at Worcester State and from the times I have conversation with officers and seen their department work, they appear to be a pretty professional department. Also, If you look at their website there does not seem to be a high turnover, which is probably a good sign.

I have heard nothing but good things about WPI also. Small private campus, but what E_Javi2 posted about WPI seems to be consistent from what I have heard about pay, benefits, equipment/armed. And yes, the Chief is a retired SP Captain.

I would say you either department would not be bad. If anyone has any specific questions I know someone who used to dispatch a WPI and could certainly ask specifics. PM me if needed.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
This is not necessarily good at all. Remember that these guys retired from MSP and are looking for a good gig where they dont rock the boat and are looking to supplement their retirement. Their police days are over and don't want any hard core young guys that want to do police work. Look at MITPD, nothing but problems since DiFava came in and same goes for HUPD. What you need is a Chief with balls and smarts.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
This is not necessarily good at all. Remember that these guys retired from MSP and are looking for a good gig where they dont rock the boat and are looking to supplement their retirement. Their police days are over and don't want any hard core young guys that want to do police work. Look at MITPD, nothing but problems since DiFava came in and same goes for HUPD. What you need is a Chief with balls and smarts.
I couldn't agree more. I know that my department is actively looking for a new Director of Public Safety, as the current Director is resigning as of 11/13. In my opinion, and I may be biased but, our department has a lot of potential and from what I hear, the admin is looking for us to grow alot. What we need is a younger director, either from a muni or campus department, that is going to be proactive and aggressive with the needs and requirements of the department. Retired bosses, be them ex-MSP, muni or whatever, are probably already drawing a pension and are just happy to be making some extra golf $$$. Odds are they are not gonna make waves and butt heads with the admin over the departments function and role. I am not saying all retired chiefs/directors are like this, just some that I have heard about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.