Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share any information about the Worcester Police Auxillary? Is it a good source of experience? Any info would be most appreciated.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
The Worcester Auxiliary is currently in limbo. There are four members and another half-dozen who have been in the application process for about a year and a half. Budget problems in Worcester has cut off any budget support for training, etc.

When they were functioning Aux. Officers patrolled public properties, and had full police powers including ch90 when on duty.

Things may have changed so I suggest you contact WPD Community Services Division which is the division the Auxiliary Police roll up into.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's the deal. It is a good source of experience, I have learned alot out there. we did use "nicer" cruisers but they were not for regular patrol any ways, they were Traffic Cars who happens to get first bid on new cars. At this time we use community services. We do not get payed but do have full police powers while on duty. As for calling the FUll TIMERS in 2 and 1/2 years I have seen it happen twice mostly for question regarding the issue at hand. Have the Department does not even know we are there. We work every friday and saturday. some manditory days, when the city has big events ( first night, parades, other things like that). At this time we have five members with others waiting to be trained, Its not budget, its the fact the Full timers needs come first. We understand and respect that. We do not answer calls unless a Full timer is calling for HELP, or Dispatch has called several times for another car. also if during our travles we come across something.

With that be safe out there.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Oh poo, sorry I used such strong words like pain and asses. In 8 years I have seen/been called by an Aux with questions such as: "I stopped a drunk driver, can you take it?" "I'm out with a domestic, can you take it?" "This guys driving like an as*hole, can you cite him or something?" "I got flagged down by a citizen in regards to a ______, can you send the route man here?" "I'm out with an accident, can you send the route man?" (Oh by the way I have all the info, witness statements etc. The one guy is drunk..) Would those be the questions at hand you are refering to?

Aux were assigned Traffic cars. So when the beater I was assigned won't start I'd go to Traffic begging. (along with other route guys) "Sorry, they're already out, Auxillary has them"... Then we'd go bone picking for a halfway safe/decent sled... Maybe there's a little animosity there. Now you get Community Services cars? Again, newer cars that route guys can't even touch..

I've never seen an Aux respond when a route guy was screaming for cars.. Never.. Never seen Aux at a fight or in the Main South area... Never heard an Aux take a call.. Never heard an Aux call for an I number.. But I have seen Aux "confiscate" the kegs and beers from the kids before we could get to them..... Get where I'm coming from?

Half the department does know you're there.. We just don't understand why you're there. Auxs are for small towns w/ small budgets and few officers... Auxs work Fri and Sat nights only.. Why? (see above) You're messing with one of the few benes we have.... You want to play policeman? Hump the calls, drive the bones and handle what you step in.. As for working details, I'm assuming you're filling in because "full timers" couldn't. At least I hope the detail office wouldn't take jobs away from "full timers" and fill them with someone not being paid..

I'm not crapping on all Aux programs. Worcester just doesn't need it in the manner currently used. If you Auxillary want to be of use to us "full timers" use your full police powers. Get dispatched, take calls, patrol Main South or Austin/Pleasant Sts, handle calls in the Valley, Lakeside, the PIP and Plumley Village. Hell go babysit our prisoners when they "don't feel well" and go to the hospital. Don't just ride around in our cruisers and check the schools and fields for kids partying. I think if you did that you'd get more respect and might even prove your existence.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
After being an AUX for 5 years and a fulltimer for 3 I still believe AUX are useful and they only do what the Fulltimers administration lets them do. Maybe you should cry to he union and the bosses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Deuce, Not sure why you are so angry. I know that myself and the others on the unit at this time handle our own arrest.

I have called for a Route Officer once when I came accross a guy laid out in the middle of Park Aave who truned out to be a sec 12 who ran away from the hospital. The other time was when we had a question about a fire arms charge. You should know that the Route Officer had to call his Sgt because he did not even know the anwser.

Any way I beleive it is Department P and P that when we come accross something we are to call a Route Officer. Therefore when we do not, we are going against P and P.

As to the cruisers, take a look at car # 31. Then tell me who gets the better car, bearly runs, trany slips. spot light and several blues are out.

About resonding to calls. Several AUX's have responded to shots fired on Park Ave where there was only one Route Officer and a Detail Officer at the scene. I have responded to a Fight at the wendeys on Southbridge st. I was the first Officer on scene as the Route Officer was coming form Burncoat St. Note before I answered 3 call went out on both bands for a back up for the Route Officer.

As the to KEGS, I too have seen Full timers par-taking in the fruits of confiscated beer. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Not really sure what "BENES" there are for working a Friday or Saturday night.

The fore mentioned days / DETAILS did I say no pay, and when was the last time you saw a AUX working a bar job. You should talk to your Union who will rather see jobs lost than have them filled with us.

As fore handling the calls and playing Police Man. Several of us including myself are Officer for other agencies. We would love to hump the calls, guard the front lobby, babysit a prisoners, take the "BS" noise complaint. Again you should talk to your Union. It is frustrating on our part when you guys have 55 calls waiting to be anwsered and they will not even send us to the basics or as a back up. Made you can get something changed.

Again not sure why you are so mad. We are there to lend you a hand. Trust me when I say we want to help more. We have shown nothing but respect to you guys, even to the point when YOU were laid off we stopped working in order to show Respect and Solidarity with YOU.

In conclusion I have to ask, when was the last time a Route Officer on Friday and Saturday to check the schools and park three to four times a night and chase the kids out for drinking, with all that they have going in.

Be safe out there, and if YOU should ever call out needing HELP, I still show up. BROTHER

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Deuce & Sinker,

I've been there... and have seen both ends of the spectrum...

The minute an Aux jumps on a call it seems like he just made one of gods greatest sins... The Brass asks: Why'd you go to that call? "It doesn't matter that you were in the parking lot, why did you go inside?"

Alot of FT'ers are just like deuce, "if you wanna be helpful, use your powers/do something useful".. well if they do, another FT is gonna go right to the SGT or Lt. then file a grievance with the union because we were taking "food from their families"... it's BS either way.

Like sinker said, many Details go unfilled because GOD FORBID an Auxiliary fills it... The unions would rather it be unfilled than an "AUX" taking it... god forbid. Smaller towns have less problems with Aux. taking details, but there are still a few that have issues with it...

Who cares if they only work Friday's and Saturday's? Thats still one more car on the road, another set of eyes and ears...

Unfortunately in most PD's, the Unions and Old Timers can be the Auxiliary's biggest foes.

In my eyes, Guys like Deuce would be my favorite kinda guy..
If you Auxillary want to be of use to us "full timers" use your full police powers. Get dispatched, take calls, patrol Main South or Austin/Pleasant Sts, handle calls in the Valley, Lakeside, the PIP and Plumley Village. Hell go babysit our prisoners when they "don't feel well" and go to the hospital. Don't just ride around in our cruisers and check the schools and fields for kids partying. I think if you did that you'd get more respect and might even prove your existence.
Man I wish everyone thought like that...

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Ohhh boy...
1. I'm not angry.
2. Don't apologize for me.
3. No I don't speak for the department. I just gave my 2cents and threw in a few other First Half guys thoughts after previous discussions about the Aux.
4. Never seen an Aux use 31, I'll have to look around but I think it was scrapped a couple years ago... But anyway..
5. I'll plead ignorance on your P and P 'cause noone knows..
6. Do Aux have their own band? Because I've never heard an Aux call for the wagon or get I#'s.
7. I've only been on 8 yrs so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe those incidents happened before I got on or when I wasn't working..

I'm not trying to get in an argument or bad mouth the Aux program as a whole. "Pain in the asses"... Ok, stop taking our beer and I'll take it back...

If you read my post you'll notice I said the way the program is currently run, blah blah... Right now, the way you guys are used is ineffective. You guys need to be trained with us, go to our roll calls, get assigned an AOR and hump some calls. How that happens is way above my pay grade.. Noone is going to go crying to mom or dad about an Aux taking a call. Maybe the old timers don't like the Auxillary, I just don't get why anyone would want to work for Worcester for free..

I don't think I'm Gods gift or your lower than whale shit, just gave my observations. The program, as is, needs revamping... WAY above my paygrade.. Maybe that's why it's being phased out... And yes, you call for cars I'll answer..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Guys,

Put all this crap aside. Bottom line when the sh#$t hits the fan I have no doubt that either one of you full-time or aux would not hesitate assist the other period!

No need to get defensive we are all on the same side.

We all know the the brass and some crazy department polices sometimes prevent the full-times and the aux guys from doing everything they could.

Send each other a PM to clarify some of this stuff.

Finally, if are gonna be on the street in the same town you both would be a hell of alot better with a handshake between ya instead of jabs on the net.

Stay Safe

·
Registered
202 Posts
On a lighter note,

to you Worcester guys;

1. Thanks, one of your officers helped out my buddy with a bike problem during the burn last year.

2. I plan on going agin this year, What is the best time to go, where is the best place to park my bike?

Thanks

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Geez, flashback to mom grabbing by my ear and giving me a talking to....

wordstew, any day is good for the burnouts, obviously more people on the weekends. Grab a detail guy and explain who you are. If he's not delirius from the exhaust fumes and noise he'll direct you to a good spot. Otherwise try the station parking lot. Might be someone at the entrance, again just tell him who you are.

dp if you're a Worcester dispatcher you might know me, just take me aside if you have questions and I'll try to help you out..

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
To rekindle an old subject, as I haven't read too much more on the Worcester Auxies, I am interested in them, and to my knowledge, they are still going strong. I am not sure if they ended up getting phased out and then getting reinstated, but I know they are around now.
I hope that all the bad blood between the Auxies and FTers has been put to rest. From what I am told, the current Auxies are a pretty good crew, and dispatch has actually given them calls when the FTers get bogged down with other things.

If anyone can tell me any other current info about the Auxies, I would appreciate it.

·
Subscribing Member
389 Posts
I have to chime in on this. I am a campus cop (OMG, one of THOSE guys!) who is not a cowboy and an Auxiliary Officer for my town. The majority of the regular force do not mind working with the Auxiliary when the need may arise. It always seems to be the same old story though. The old timers (and not all, but most) on the force (who yes, have many years on the job, but not as good of modern police training (I know, I know, there is always in service) as cops who have gotten on in the last 10 years or so do) are the ones with the issues. Alot (not all) do such a good job hiding and doing as little as possible, that when they work a night shift as overtime, (which is when we work mostly) they get their panties all in a bunch when they see us. As an Auxiliary Officer, we do the bullshit things that the regulars shouldn't have to be bothered with. School checks, directing traffic at accident scenes,etc. and even medical calls (all our Aux Officers are certified 1st responders, with 2 of us that actually train or recert the regulars when needed).

We unlike Worcester AUX apparently, do not get to use the traffic or better cruiser units. Until we got another designated cruiser as our own as of last week, we got what was left over and barely ran. Sometimes we got cars with lights out, no siren, front ends that were ready to fall apart, transmissions that slipped if driven over 25mph, the list goes on.

As far as taking calls, we'd love to! As of now we respond to all officer in trouble calls and are dispatched if needed as backup in others. We do call dispatch and request regular officers on occasion, but that is only because we are required to, not because we don't know what to do. Alot of times, dispatch will tell us point blank, "I don't call you guys sometimes, because I don't know what kind of calls you can be sent to". We have recently been given a small set of policy and procedures of what, where, when and how we are to respond to calls, to clarify things on a whole. This has just recently happened and should make things easier on all of us Aux, regulars and dispatchers.

Now details, that is a police union issue and hot topic as always. There are so many details in our city. A good amount go to outside agencies or go unfilled. We would be happy to work what is left over, but again, the police union won't let that happen. I can see maybe giving it to an outside agency, since the officer belongs to the same union, but to let it go unfilled is bullshit! We wear the same exact uniform as the regulars and drive the same color schemed car, with the letters A-1 on the roof post, rather than a car number. Some things do not make sense, some do and some things will always remain the same. As the wrestler the rock says, "know your role and shut your mouth", which is basically the Auxiliary creed. If you don't like it, leave! That's my 4 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to say that there really is no need for Auxilary in Worcester. Yeah I'm sure they are great guys who would give their left nut for a real WPD badge, but that isn't the issue.

WPD has what, 450 sworn members? Our Auxilary do nothing to ease the workload on our guys, and yes I understand that is a policy issue. Other than wearing those cute baby blue shirts, and driving around the city pretending to be WPD cops what do they really do? I also have had Auxilary guys call us to a scene to bail them out of a jam of their own making. I also have seen them driving like idiots through the city. Mostly though I've seen them parked near a bar trying to impress the college girls with their uniform and shiny cruiser.

I'm sure that in smaller towns that the Auxilary are necessary, but in Worcester they are a useless waste, and a liability. You get no preference for having served as a wanna be WPD cop on the test, and you get no experience of handling calls or any other experience that a sworn cop gets.

But hey, if a guy has nothing better to do than work for free on weekend nights driving around pretending to be a WPD cop, they got bigger problems. Pretending to be one of Worcester's finest is not the same as being one.

Flame on.

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
I recently had one of these guys almost hit me on a detail; stopped the car and this overweight tool, badly in need of a shave and some oral hygene lessons produces his WPD AUX ID, didn't leave me very impressed to say the least.

Good luck Worcester!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kind of off topic, but what about the officer's at the airport (Worcester)? What are they...special's, auxilliary, sspo, Massport sspo, or are they thier own entity? Are they even still up there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.