Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what ever happened to the Worcester Housing Authority Police? I remember seeing them around about 10 years ago. I heard they were disbanded quite a while ago, but I never caught the whole story. Yet, I was recently at a training with a gentlemen who said he was the director (current) of the Housing Authority Safety/Security dept. I didn't really have a chance to talk to him though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, The Worcester Housing does have a Public Safety Department. The department is made of a Director and an Investigator. The department oversees contract security and the WPD Details that work on their property.

·
Registered
97 Posts
DPD, would you also happen to know why Worc got rid of the WHA Police?

I know Worc still has the Worc Airport Police, even know they aren't affiliated with WPD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I believe it was due to budgetary reasons back in the early 80's. The reason I know this, is because my uncle is the Current Director of Public Safety at Worcester Housing. He was also one of the original housing police officers back in the late 70's and early 80's when they were disbanded.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point, I think that reorganizing the Housing PD and cutting the Airport police makes more sense for economic reasons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks DPD for answering my question. That time frame goes a little beyond my era. But talking to my old man who was around during that time said those area’s were nothing nice during the 70’s and 80’s, or even now. He isn’t in Law Enforcement, but he remembers all of the troubles back then and now, GBV, Lincoln & Plummy Village. Another words, “the projects.”

I do agree with Investigator that there is just as a need for the WHA to have a Police dept. But for more safety reasons then money. To have private security running patrols doesn’t make much sense.

Thank you both for your replies. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If I remember correctly, I believe one of them shot a suspect while he was handcuffed and seated in the back of his cruiser. I guess he just lost it. They weren't around much longer. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I remember correctly, I believe one of them shot a suspect while he was handcuffed and seated in the back of his cruiser. I guess he just lost it. They weren't around much longer.
Oh, for a minute there I thought it was the Worcester Sheriff Department that did that. It's probably coming with the layoffs.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
I was waiting to see if the truth would come out. The housing police was disbanded after the officer blew the head off of the suspect in the back seat of the cruiser. I personelly know one of the Former Housing cops that was working the night of the incident.
The projects were very nasty back then. I have seen pictures of bullet holes in a Worcester housing cruiser.

·
1,334 Posts
Otto";p="65873 said:
If I remember correctly, I believe one of them shot a suspect while he was handcuffed and seated in the back of his cruiser. I guess he just lost it. They weren't around much longer. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.
That must have been a difficult one to explain. The MCJTC must not have had a good use of force continuum back then like they do now... and people are worried about tazers.

It would make perfect sense to have housing police for those areas considering all the problems. Not that WPD is not qualified, but they are projects that need constant attention, surely takes away from other needs to be addressed in the city. I am sure private security only does so much, or little, depending on how you want to look at it. Definately an agency with some law enforcement powers and training to deal with all those morons 24/7.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Those shit holes have their usual paymen that work a couple days. But, they're solo or with some private security slob (depending which shit hole) so if they get their nuts in a jam they still have to radio for the cavalry. F em, I say fence up the Valley, Lakeside, Plumley and Lincoln Villages and set up a checkpoint at their only gate. Noone goes in/out w/o their WHA ID. Let the animals have their zoos and they can pick up their own crap....
Otherwise share the wealth and have at least a double car working each project (2 double cars for the Valley).

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
I have heard the same story about the WHAPD cop and the shooting of the suspect. I don't know if it's an old wives tale or not but some of the "old school" (i.e. dinosaurs) guys on my job heard about it way back. Happened about 1979 or thereabouts. Supposedly the bad guy was cuffed & stuffed and he hocked a loogey that landed directly on the cops proboscus. That set the man off to the Nth degree. Supposedly shot in the torso area but he did survive to collect a mighty hefty paycheck from my version.

Policing in the bricks is slightly different than your traditional policing strategy. You are assigned one or two projects. You meet & see the same players day in and day out so you know their routines and scams they play. It's satisfying & gratifying to lock up the local scumbag you know by name and have his a$$ tossed out for dealing / stealing or smoking crack.

It's a fun but thankless job with lower pay than your counterparts who work directly for the city. There aren't as many of us as we would like so we have to depend on "partnerships" with the local PD. Woe is he who pisses off the locals and then steps in doo-doo. Your nearest back-up may be the next project or clear across the city so your relationship had better be good with the local district.

SSDP - Same S#it, Different Paycheck.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Oh.. I thought the shitbird said "I'm going to kill your family" and the Officer snapped... pulled the cruiser over, opened the door and shot him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.