Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
H50,

"It doesnt take a brain surgeon to secure cell blocks and monitor prisoners. "

That's a bit insulting. I agree it's not rocket science, but it takes a bit of integrity, and real mental strength to be a corrections officer. Have you ever been a CO? I hope that is not your perception of what our job is. Monitoring prisoners as you call it is tiring. These guys play mind games with you all day, and occasionally try to hurt you. It doesn't take a brain surgeon, but it doesn't take the average joe either.

"deputy sheriffs are flunkies and wannabes."

I don't want to brag, but just want to show that your missing the mark. I'm a Deputy Sheriff. I am nearing the completion of my Bachelor's degree, and plan to enroll for my master's degree within the year. I am a reserve police officer, and completed the hiring process with ease. I've never been in trouble. I've received awards from both my department and the state department of corrections. I do not support my current Sheriff, either politically or financially. I do not donate or participate in anyone's campaign. I am not politically connected to anyone. So maybe all deputy sheriff's aren't "flunkies"? Maybe you need to use better terminology. I am a Deputy Sheriff, but I do no police work (other than details). I work mainly with inmates. Maybe you should clarify what you mean by Deputy Sheriff before you insult such a large category of people.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
K9,

Good to see you back. You are right. I would love to see the state eliminate the elected position of Sheriff. Although, there would still be politics involved, I think there would be less. I would also like to see Civil Service put in place, or a similar system, where people are hired clearly for merit.
Everyone that is so concerned, that they are taking the time to be here complaining about the system of the Sheriff's Departments, should be writing and calling their senators and representatives. This is how to get things done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.