• Frank Beshai

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Guy Glodis was a part ime correctional officer for several years. He worked about a day a week. He had less than 80 hours training the whole time he was there. He never went to an academy. He never even qualified to carry a firearm. He was even AWOL for a time.

He complains of the current sheriffs hiring practices. He didn't complain when his father, the state rep called to get him a job. Or when he made a call to get him his court officers job.

He is an untrained political hack.

Mike Flynn was a full-time Fitchburg Police Officer before going to the Sheriffs Office. He is not perfect but he is far and away the most experienced man for the job.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thursday, April 8, 2004

Accusations fly in sheriff race

Letter from Flynn to supporters claims Glodis is dishonest

Richard Nangle
T&G STAFF
[email protected]

A local state representative says he is upset with state Sen. Guy W. Glodis for claiming him as a supporter in Mr. Glodis' race for sheriff, when in fact, he is supporting Democratic incumbent John M. Flynn.

Meanwhile, a Democrat who has worked on a number of local campaigns says Mr. Glodis recently urged him to ask Mr. Flynn to get out of the race.

The comments came as the 77-year-old Mr. Flynn released a scathing letter to his supporters that speaks to both claims and accuses Mr. Glodis of calling his health into question.

"Guy has gone to a lot of people I've introduced him to through the years and said I'm with him," said the state representative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "I've talked to him about it and said, "What the hell are you doing?' I've endorsed the sheriff and he has my name. I can't tell you the work that he's done in my district and how much he's supported us."

The campaign operative described hearing Mr. Glodis recently express some reservation about his decision to run for sheriff.

Mr. Glodis, who lives in Auburn and represents the Second Worcester District, declined to respond to the charges, saying he wants only to run a positive campaign.

"I'm not going to submit to the Ray Mariano slash and burn technique of campaigning," he said in a reference to the former Worcester mayor who is working as a political consultant for the sheriff.

In the opening section of his letter, mailed to supporters yesterday, Mr. Flynn, first elected sheriff in 1986, recalled his first Democratic primary against the man who is now his campaign manager - Michael J. Donoghue.

"As tough as that campaign was, as much as we disagreed, no one crossed the line. Certainly, no one spread rumors that were unfair and untrue," the letter said, adding, "Unfortunately, this is not the case in my current campaign."

The letter goes on to accuse Mr. Glodis of telling people both that Mr. Flynn was getting out of the race and that his endorsers were not going to work hard for him.

Mr. Flynn said, "Not one of these officials has been reluctant to help my campaign in any way asked" and "a few of these officials have actually told me that they have asked Mr. Glodis to stop misrepresenting their intentions."

"As foolish and personally offensive as this is, Mr. Glodis has been telling folks that I won't be able to complete my term and that the governor will then be able to appoint a Republican," the letter said. Mr. Flynn went on to emphasize in the letter that his health is "fine."

"I have the energy and ability to do the job of sheriff. I would be happy to provide Mr. Glodis with a list of some of our region's very prominent and successful business and community leaders, who are a part of my generation, so that he can explain to them why their age makes them a liability."

Mr. Flynn focused part of his letter on a key Glodis campaign issue: allegations that the sheriff has been too willing to offer jobs at the Worcester County Jail and House of Correction to family and friends.

He said Mr. Glodis owes both his previous employment there as a correction officer and his former job as a court officer to the fact that his father, William Glodis, was a state representative at the time.

"As a state rep and as a state senator, Guy Glodis called my office, on numerous occasions, pushing to get jobs and special treatment for his friends and supporters," Mr. Flynn's letter stated. "His criticism, regarding the hiring and promotional practices at the jail, is completely dishonest."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.