Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading in the Worcester Papers about the upcoming Election for Worcester County Sheriff. I don't know if anyone has been following the news, but it looks like it should be an interesting election. The incumbent Sheriff - 77-year-old John "Mike" Flynn (D) has be in office for 24 years with over 40 in the department. His democratic challenger State Senator Guy Glodis (D) worked as a Correction Officer for a couple of years. Bill McCarthy (R) is a College Professor and former Connecticut State Trooper and Correction Officer. Also running is Frank Beshai (I), former inmate of the Worcester County H.O.C.

I'm curious about how MASSCOPS would vote.

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts
Glodis already sent a notice out to all police departments in Worcester Cty that assures us that he wants the correction officers to do correctional duties and county wide prisoner pickup. HE also supported the Quinn Bill and details while a state senator.

·
Registered
144 Posts
jsg,

Is that the plural form of Glodis? And yes he has been very Pro-Cop during his senatorial career. As a resident of Worcester Co. I will be watching this race very closely. I will miss Glodis as my Senator if/when he wins.

·
Subscribing Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsg2020 said:
Are you serious about the former inmate? What a loser.
Unfortunately I am serious, he's a ex-used car salesman and thief (kind of the same thing), but he served time and told his fellows inmates that one day he would get out and run for Sheriff, only in America!!

Should be an interesting campaign :shock:

·
2,297 Posts
msp357 said:
jsg,

Is that the plural form of Glodis? And yes he has been very Pro-Cop during his senatorial career. As a resident of Worcester Co. I will be watching this race very closely. I will miss Glodis as my Senator if/when he wins.
No, just a typo you FREAK. :lol:

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Have to agree, even though he's a Democ rat, he's a good guy. Very pro-police and always supported WPD. Beshai also ran for Worcester city council.. That goof would have fit in well with the rest of the criminals.. oops, sorry, councilman....

·
Registered
142 Posts
just beware that as a democ rat - glodis will in all probability hire liberal, campaign sign holding hacks as deputies over c.o's who have been doing the job for years - that is not a slam - it just seems to be a fact every time a democ rat gets elected , they do that - i like c.o's, was one for 8 yrs - they earn the job as deputy sheriff, political sign holding, suck #ss grovelers do not - personally, i'd support the Republican Trooper - that's the life experience opinion of someone who has worked campus police, corrections and municipal police for the past 25 years - beware of democ rats - their party platform is liberal and not in tune with most law enforcement officers - check it out before you vote for glodis - i assert that guys on the job in corrections deserve the good jobs before they are given to political hacks - it may seem like a slam, but it is not - take the politics out of the sheriff's departments and make ALL political appointments work as a c.o - inside the units like everyone else, for 1 year, BEFORE they can become a deputy - let's see how many hold a campaign sign then... merit before groveling politics

·
Subscribing Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jimbo said:
just beware that as a democ rat - glodis will in all probability hire liberal, campaign sign holding hacks as deputies over c.o's who have been doing the job for years - that is not a slam - it just seems to be a fact every time a democ rat gets elected , they do that - i like c.o's, was one for 8 yrs - they earn the job as deputy sheriff, political sign holding, suck #ss grovelers do not - personally, i'd support the Republican Trooper - that's the life experience opinion of someone who has worked campus police, corrections and municipal police for the past 25 years - beware of democ rats - their party platform is liberal and not in tune with most law enforcement officers - check it out before you vote for glodis - i assert that guys on the job in corrections deserve the good jobs before they are given to political hacks - it may seem like a slam, but it is not - take the politics out of the sheriff's departments and make ALL political appointments work as a c.o - inside the units like everyone else, for 1 year, BEFORE they can become a deputy - let's see how many hold a campaign sign then... merit before groveling politics
Jimbo,

Seeing how the Sheriffs Offices are always being slammed for being too political, STOP electing POLITICIANS !!! Although Glodis is a decent person, he's still a POLITICIAN. Flynn and Glodis are lifelong politicians and one can expect they will run the Sheriffs Office politically. The Republican Trooper is a lawman and thats who, in my humble opinion, should be elected Sheriff, based on qualifications as opposed to politics, but unfortunatey qualifications don't get people elected as quickly as political favors do.

Stay safe

·
Registered
189 Posts
As I always say, blame the state legislature, who allow all of this to happen.All of the county sheriff's that are now full time state employee's, should fall under the civil service guidelines for all hiring and promotions.It's as simple as that.

·
Subscribing Member
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
k9sheriff said:
As I always say, blame the state legislature, who allow all of this to happen.All of the county sheriff's that are now full time state employee's, should fall under the civil service guidelines for all hiring and promotions.It's as simple as that.
Civil service is not always the answer and not the best way to hire. A Sheriffs ability to hire who they want is not a bad thing, as long as they don't sell out their dept for political favors. Hiring based on experience and qualifications is the best way to hire, unfortunately alot of Sheriffs don't use that formula because they are just politicians, whose main concern is re-election instead of public safety and running a professional S.O. STOP electing politicians and you'll take the politics out of the S.O.'s

Stay safe!!

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts
PBC FL COP,

There is a HUGE difference from Sheriffs in FL to Sheriffs up here. Most SHeriffs departments in FL are Nationaly Accredited Agencies and are evry squared away. Selections in accordance with accreditation standards have to be done professionally. On top of that the Sheriffs in FL are regular county wide police departments. This is not the case here. It doesnt take a brain surgeon to secure cell blocks and monitor prisoners. The training is not the same as it is in FL for police and sheriffs. Most deputies in Mass are hired by who they know. They pay money on the campaign, make phone calls and get hired. The correctional officers for the Sheriffs are sometimes more legitimate, but the deputy sheriffs are flunkies and wannabes.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
H50,

"It doesnt take a brain surgeon to secure cell blocks and monitor prisoners. "

That's a bit insulting. I agree it's not rocket science, but it takes a bit of integrity, and real mental strength to be a corrections officer. Have you ever been a CO? I hope that is not your perception of what our job is. Monitoring prisoners as you call it is tiring. These guys play mind games with you all day, and occasionally try to hurt you. It doesn't take a brain surgeon, but it doesn't take the average joe either.

"deputy sheriffs are flunkies and wannabes."

I don't want to brag, but just want to show that your missing the mark. I'm a Deputy Sheriff. I am nearing the completion of my Bachelor's degree, and plan to enroll for my master's degree within the year. I am a reserve police officer, and completed the hiring process with ease. I've never been in trouble. I've received awards from both my department and the state department of corrections. I do not support my current Sheriff, either politically or financially. I do not donate or participate in anyone's campaign. I am not politically connected to anyone. So maybe all deputy sheriff's aren't "flunkies"? Maybe you need to use better terminology. I am a Deputy Sheriff, but I do no police work (other than details). I work mainly with inmates. Maybe you should clarify what you mean by Deputy Sheriff before you insult such a large category of people.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
K9,

Good to see you back. You are right. I would love to see the state eliminate the elected position of Sheriff. Although, there would still be politics involved, I think there would be less. I would also like to see Civil Service put in place, or a similar system, where people are hired clearly for merit.
Everyone that is so concerned, that they are taking the time to be here complaining about the system of the Sheriff's Departments, should be writing and calling their senators and representatives. This is how to get things done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Guy Glodis was a part ime correctional officer for several years. He worked about a day a week. He had less than 80 hours training the whole time he was there. He never went to an academy. He never even qualified to carry a firearm. He was even AWOL for a time.

He complains of the current sheriffs hiring practices. He didn't complain when his father, the state rep called to get him a job. Or when he made a call to get him his court officers job.

He is an untrained political hack.

Mike Flynn was a full-time Fitchburg Police Officer before going to the Sheriffs Office. He is not perfect but he is far and away the most experienced man for the job.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thursday, April 8, 2004

Accusations fly in sheriff race

Letter from Flynn to supporters claims Glodis is dishonest

Richard Nangle
T&G STAFF
[email protected]

A local state representative says he is upset with state Sen. Guy W. Glodis for claiming him as a supporter in Mr. Glodis' race for sheriff, when in fact, he is supporting Democratic incumbent John M. Flynn.

Meanwhile, a Democrat who has worked on a number of local campaigns says Mr. Glodis recently urged him to ask Mr. Flynn to get out of the race.

The comments came as the 77-year-old Mr. Flynn released a scathing letter to his supporters that speaks to both claims and accuses Mr. Glodis of calling his health into question.

"Guy has gone to a lot of people I've introduced him to through the years and said I'm with him," said the state representative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "I've talked to him about it and said, "What the hell are you doing?' I've endorsed the sheriff and he has my name. I can't tell you the work that he's done in my district and how much he's supported us."

The campaign operative described hearing Mr. Glodis recently express some reservation about his decision to run for sheriff.

Mr. Glodis, who lives in Auburn and represents the Second Worcester District, declined to respond to the charges, saying he wants only to run a positive campaign.

"I'm not going to submit to the Ray Mariano slash and burn technique of campaigning," he said in a reference to the former Worcester mayor who is working as a political consultant for the sheriff.

In the opening section of his letter, mailed to supporters yesterday, Mr. Flynn, first elected sheriff in 1986, recalled his first Democratic primary against the man who is now his campaign manager - Michael J. Donoghue.

"As tough as that campaign was, as much as we disagreed, no one crossed the line. Certainly, no one spread rumors that were unfair and untrue," the letter said, adding, "Unfortunately, this is not the case in my current campaign."

The letter goes on to accuse Mr. Glodis of telling people both that Mr. Flynn was getting out of the race and that his endorsers were not going to work hard for him.

Mr. Flynn said, "Not one of these officials has been reluctant to help my campaign in any way asked" and "a few of these officials have actually told me that they have asked Mr. Glodis to stop misrepresenting their intentions."

"As foolish and personally offensive as this is, Mr. Glodis has been telling folks that I won't be able to complete my term and that the governor will then be able to appoint a Republican," the letter said. Mr. Flynn went on to emphasize in the letter that his health is "fine."

"I have the energy and ability to do the job of sheriff. I would be happy to provide Mr. Glodis with a list of some of our region's very prominent and successful business and community leaders, who are a part of my generation, so that he can explain to them why their age makes them a liability."

Mr. Flynn focused part of his letter on a key Glodis campaign issue: allegations that the sheriff has been too willing to offer jobs at the Worcester County Jail and House of Correction to family and friends.

He said Mr. Glodis owes both his previous employment there as a correction officer and his former job as a court officer to the fact that his father, William Glodis, was a state representative at the time.

"As a state rep and as a state senator, Guy Glodis called my office, on numerous occasions, pushing to get jobs and special treatment for his friends and supporters," Mr. Flynn's letter stated. "His criticism, regarding the hiring and promotional practices at the jail, is completely dishonest."

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
it seems as though the mudslinging and name calling has begun in worcester county. I am surprised that the mudslinging has not begun in suffolk county. Other than a few grumbles from Howard Manly that Steve Murphy has no right to run for Sheriff. Its been a quiet race.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.