Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving through worcester the other day, I came across the Worcester Airport police. Are these guys a division of worcester police or are they a separate dept? I've flown out of worcester on a private jet many times and it has been pretty desolate, what do they protect?

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
I heard Massport owns and operates Worcester Airport but I don't know if the Massport Police patrol it as well as the Worcester Airport Police. I hear they are FireFighter Crash Rescue certified as well and don the rubber boots and coat in case of a crash.

They are seperate of Worcester Police but wear a similar patch. Seems like a good gig to get into.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ditto about Massport. Also google search also yielded a couple of vague references that you might want to check out...or not :). Guess I had some free time today.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
a couple of years ago there was a posting for a police officer position with Worcester Airport I am pretty sure they are their own group. I have a couple of friends on Massport PD and they didnt know anything about them being under massport.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Worcester Airport Police are their own entity. They have sent guys through our academy and have our radios, but do not fall under WPD command. Not much happening at the airport after everyone pulled out so I hear it's pretty boring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with someone who just left there. He said that they're in the process of phasing them out due to the budget and the fact that the airport is bringing in no money. I guess they have no connection to Massport. They are a real low key agency though. I couldn't find any information on them anywhere. I've been assigned to a field office here for the past 5 years and I've flown in and out of Worcester airport numerous times, but I never realized they existed until the other day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I interviewed there a few years back before I got on a muni dept. From what I understood is that everyone there is full time academy trained, and/or they send you to the academy. They have a small staff and the chief told me that the department is always on the verge of being disband or staff cuts. I got the impression that they focus on someone who is more "firefighter" directed, not as muchl as police oriented, but more towards the firefighting aspect. And that there is not much "police work" to be done at the Worcester Airport. They are armed and wear BDU type uniforms. What probably hurt my chances of getting hired there was the fact that I told the chief during the interview that I wanted to do police work rather than firefighting operations. I know they have job openings on occassion, I think they are looking for someone who with an academy who isnt going to leave when they get the chance, and is more interested in firefighting /airport crash rescue. The pay wasnt that great and the hours werent the best either, from what I gathered at the time. I believe they are associated with Massport somehow. Massport does run the Worcester Airport, but I think the Police up there are somehow disconnected from Massport. The chief told me that they are in the same city union as the garbage truck drivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.