1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City Of Worcester
Worcester Regional Airport

POLICE OFFICER/ AIRPORT RESCUE FIREFIGHTER

The City of Worcester is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer/Airport Rescue Firefighter. Duties include, but are not limited to, responding to emergency incidents on Airport property, performing daily administrative tasks, enforcing federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances and interaction with federal, state and local agencies. Officers report to the Division Chief. Applicants must pass Medical and Psychological Exams. Preference given to applicants with MCJTC part-time Police Academy. Firefighting I/II training and/or EMT certifications. Applicant must be able to work any three daily shifts as needed, to include weekends and holidays. Full-time position with excellent benefit package. Starting Salary: 38K.
Please send resume and letter of intent on or before September 19, 2008 to: Human Resources Department, Room 109, 455 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE/AA employer. Preference given to Worcester residents.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,529 Posts
They're getting a new airline in there, FINALLY. This could be a very nice job to say the least. No loss of war stories with the two responsibilities.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,529 Posts
Well, I'll take the word of someone who works there over my speculation. I hope things change for the better with the changes coming. Best of luck to your buddy.

G

·
I work with a guy who left there recently. From what I understand, it used to be a good job. I think guns were taken away, and things have been steadily getting worse over the last year or so. It's good they are finally getting an airline, but I don't think the PD morale is all that great. Hearsay... so take it for what it is.

·
Stirrer of the Pot
4,338 Posts
Bad enough when your out on patrol and a fire call comes in you have to respond back to get the apparatus, and stuff your bat belt in your locker.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Wasn't there some MGL or Civil Serice CMR that says Municipalities cannot have P.O.'s serving as FF's?

·
Subscribing Member
996 Posts
Chapter 41: Section 97F. Firefighter duties; performance by police

Section 97F. No city or town shall require a member of its police department, or other employee with police powers, to perform the duties of a firefighter during his tour of duty; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit any such member from serving as a call or volunteer firefighter, or from responding to an emergency in the normal course of his duties. No police officer, or other employee with police powers, shall, in connection with any industrial or labor dispute, perform the duties of a firefighter or any duties other than those regularly assigned to him.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The Worcester Airport police are very active up there, kicking people out who hang around and stuff. Its more of a security job with police powers then anything else, its not like they are getting 911 calls left and right.

·
Subscribing Member
4,385 Posts

Section 97F. No city or town shall require a member of its police department, or other employee with police powers, to perform the duties of a firefighter during his tour of duty; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit any such member from serving as a call or volunteer firefighter, or from responding to an emergency in the normal course of his duties. No police officer, or other employee with police powers, shall, in connection with any industrial or labor dispute, perform the duties of a firefighter or any duties other than those regularly assigned to him.
It's very vague, I know a police chief who is also a firefighter and a FT municipal police officer in one town and FT fire in another. Although Worcester Airport PD work for the city they do not fall under a city/town though so they can do it.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts

Could one, in theory then, be a municpial PO and a call FF in the same town?

·
Subscribing Member
996 Posts
Yes, however, the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA) would come in to play.

The town may opt not to do this because they would have to pay you your full-time wage plus overtime. For example you are a Full-time PO, do your 40 hours this week, and respond to some fire calls. Since you went over 40 hours for the same employer you would get OT.

FLSA views the city/town as your employer, not the PD, FD etc..

So it would be up to the town if they wanted to pay the extra $$

·
Subscribing Member
4,385 Posts
Yes, the police chief in my town is a FT police chief and a on-call firefighter,no FLSA problems. I also know of another that is a FT polcie officer in a town in one county retirement and FT firefighter in another town, that town has its own pension system not county. Yes it could be done. The FLSA issue you are talking about is correct , i know Littleton PD dispatchers that are also reserve police officers in that town, get OT when they work a patrol shift.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
A policeman and fireman job all wrapped up in one?
That collective uggghhhhhh you just heard was 14 CMPSA yahoos polishing the wand as they fill out the application.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts