Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Woman In Kidnapping Case Charged With Prostitution

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mainer4life85 
#1 ·
Sheriff - parents upset because father of daughter's baby is black

Sheriff - parents upset because father of daughter's baby is black
By Associated Press
Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - Updated: 08:30 AM EST

SALEM, N.H. - A Maine couple accused of kidnapping their 19-year-old daughter and trying to force her to get an abortion were upset because the baby's father is black, a Maine sheriff said.
Katelyn Kampf, who is white, told Cumberland County Sheriff Mark Dion that her parents were upset about the interracial relationship, The Boston Globe reported Tuesday.
"She clearly is still traumatized by the event," Dion said. "It is difficult for her to appreciate that her parents did what they did, although it's not a surprise to her, based on other events that have occurred in the household."
Real estate developers Nicholas and Lola Kampf of North Yarmouth, Maine, are accused of tying up their daughter, throwing her in their Lexus and heading to New York to get her an abortion.
Katelyn Kampf hid her father's cell phone in her pants, then fled and called police when her father stopped at a shopping plaza in Salem to buy a temporary cell phone, police said.
Not so, defense lawyer Mark Sisti said at the parents' video arraignment Monday afternoon in Salem District Court.
"What we're dealing with here is a terrible family tragedy with some unfortunate misunderstandings and some overreaction, perhaps on all sides - but not an attempt to terrorize anybody," Sisti said.
According to a police affidavit, there was no evidence the daughter remained tied up by the time the Kampfs entered New Hampshire, he said. The affidavit also said Katelyn Kampf told police she was not hurt and that she and her parents "had been talking cordially" during the trip. Sisti asked the judge to reduce bail to $25,000 apiece.
Salem Police prosecutor Ryan McFarland asked for cash bail of $500,000 each, saying the Kampfs had their passports, rope, a rifle and ammunition in the car. He argued they posed a danger if released.
During the more than two-hour drive, the Kampfs repeatedly "threatened to kill the victim, the unborn child, the father and his family," McFarland said.
Judge John Korbey set bail at $100,000 apiece and ordered the Kampfs not to have contact with their daughter. He also ordered them to turn in their passports and forbade them to leave New Hampshire or Maine. A preliminary hearing was set for Sept. 26.
If convicted of kidnapping, the Kampfs face 7 to 15 years in prison. They could face additional charges in Maine or federal charges, because they crossed state lines.
Katelyn Kampf had been a student at Boston College, but was withdrawn by her parents because they disapproved of her boyfriend, Salem police told The Boston Globe. She transferred to George Washington University in Washington, but secretly dropped out and returned to Maine, where she was living with her boyfriend's family in Portland.
The boyfriend, 22-year-old Reme Johnson, last week began serving a 6-month sentence for theft at the Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn, Maine. McFarland also asked the judge to issue protective orders for Johnson, his mother Peggy, and his sister, Renee.
Katelyn Kampf is living with Peggy Johnson now, the older woman said.
"Katelyn is not lying. She has no reason to lie. They found all the stuff in the car. She would not have gone with them," Peggy Johnson told the Globe.
Johnson said she had met the Kampfs and would be surprised if they were upset about her son's race.
"It's not about Reme being black," she said. "I don't know what happened. Maybe they just snapped."
Because their daughter had been pregnant a while, the Kampfs apparently thought the abortion should be performed in New York, although New York law does not appear to offer a clear advantage to Maine's.
Maine law prohibits abortions after the fetus is able to live outside the uterus unless the mother's life or health is at stake. The law does not specify an exact age. New York law prohibits abortions after the 24th week of pregnancy unless the mother's life is at stake.

Now I see .... I knew there was some messed up reason these parents did this.
I guess they think a little differently up in sticksville maine...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Sheriff - parents upset because father of daughter's baby is black

They brought her up right. She got into not only one, but two good schools. Then some scumbag knocks her up at age 19. What parent wouldn't be upset?
I don't care if he's white, black, purple, grey, blue or red. This guy's 23 and still a scumbag. He's doing 6 months for a robbery in the county clink. With the court system the way it is and giving out light sentences, I don't think that it's his first brush with the cops. How's this shitbird supposed to be a daddy & contribute to Jr's life if all he does is go to jail all the time?
I don't approve of her parents methods or their actions....... but I can understand why.

#6 ·

I can totally understand being pissed about some shithead knocking up your daughter and probably ruining any future she was on track for.

But isn't that a little extreme? She's 19, not 14. And even then it still wouldn't be ok.
The parents just have to suck it up. The seed has been planted, unless they can talk her out of it, they are stuck between a rock and hard place.

#8 ·

mtc said:
The parents are stuck with a grandchild whose father is black. I called this in the office when it first broke, and I stand by my theory.
"No daugher of mine is going to have a baby with a N#@@#&!"

Boston College wasn't far enough, so they sent her across the country.... controlling, manipulative.....
She'll learn from her mistakes... she's young enough and will hopefully figure it out. She was there too, it's not ALL on the scumbag boyfriend.
Sometimes it's not about how much a girl loves her boyfriend, it's about how much she hates her daddy.

#9 ·

mtc said:
The parents are stuck with a grandchild whose father is black. I called this in the office when it first broke, and I stand by my theory.
"No daugher of mine is going to have a baby with a N#@@#&!"
Too f****** bad to the parents of the girl. This baby did not ask to be born....it's their choice whether or not to accept it. It will be their loss if they don't. The girl is nineteen years old, she made her own decisions and now has to live with the choices she made...being pregnant, having her baby's daddy in jail, and the possibility of having to raise this child on her own with no support from anyone (not saying this is the case). I'm sorry, but it does not matter what color you are as long as you are a respectable member of society.

mtc...be careful what you say...you never know who is on here and it could come back to bite you in the ass. JMHO

#10 ·
Charges Reduced In Alleged Daughter Abduction

Nicholas and Lola Kampf have agreed to plead guilty Friday to misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct charges to resolve the case that made national headlines a year ago.
CBS

Katelyn Kampf, 20, said she's frustrated that District Attorney Stephanie Anderson is dropping a felony kidnapping charge. (File Image)
CBS

AP) PORTLAND, MAINE A husband and wife accused of kidnapping their daughter in hopes of persuading her to have an abortion have reached a plea agreement in which they'll serve no time behind bars, according to a lawyer in the case.

Nicholas and Lola Kampf have agreed to plead guilty Friday to misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct charges to resolve the case that made national headlines a year ago, said Thomas Hallett, Nicholas Kampf's attorney.

Under the agreement, there'll be no jail time and the assault charge will be dropped once they complete counseling, Hallett said.

"The reality is this was a family matter from the get-go. We tried to resolve this in the best way possible. It was in the best interest of everyone not to blow this up into a big trial," Hallett said Wednesday.

The Kampfs' daughter, Katelyn Kampf, 20, said she's frustrated that District Attorney Stephanie Anderson is dropping a felony kidnapping charge.

"She's just letting my parents get off with barely a slap on the wrist," Kampf told the Portland Press Herald. Anderson responded that Kampf was involved in the discussions, and she said she was unaware that Kampf was unhappy with the agreement.

The Kampfs were accused of tying up their daughter at their North Yarmouth home, forcing her into their car and driving toward New York. They were arrested at a shopping center in New Hampshire after Katelyn fled and called police.

Breaking her silence, Katelyn Kampf described a harrowing experience that ensued on Sept. 15, 2006, after her parents learned she was pregnant with a mixed-race baby. Kampf is white. Reme Johnson, her boyfriend at the time, is black.

"I did end up making a run for it," she told WMTW-TV in an interview at a friend's house. "At one point, I ran out of the house. My father chased me down our driveway and tackled me, and I had grass stains all over, and I was screaming for help."

After she escaped at a shopping center in Salem, N.H., police found a .22-caliber rifle, duct tape and rope in the parents' car.

Kampf couldn't be reached for additional comment Wednesday, and her attorney and the district attorney didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

Hallett denied that the Kampfs were racist -- calling the accusation "garbage" -- but said the parents were troubled by the unplanned pregnancy.

"These were two parents who were absolutely torn apart by what was happening to their daughter, just torn apart," Hallett said. "It was like a nuclear explosion going off in any family that has to face a similar situation."

In addition to getting counseling, the Kampfs have agreed to pay for counseling for their daughter as well. Hallett said he hopes the family can reconcile.

But that seems unlikely at this point. Katelyn Kampf said her parents' real punishment will be that they'll never again see her or her infant son.

The Kampfs were initially charged in New Hampshire with kidnapping, but those charges were dropped when Maine prosecutors brought charges in Cumberland County, where the Kampfs lived. They've since moved to Florida.

Katelyn Kampf's son, D'Andre Johnson, was born in January.

Reme Johnson is being held by immigration officials and scheduled to be deported to his native South Africa after serving time for receiving stolen property, the Portland Press Herald reported.

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_283104855.html

#12 ·
Sting Operation Was Set Up At Hotel

PORTLAND, Maine -- A young woman whose parents were accused of kidnapping her in hopes of persuading her to have an abortion has been charged with prostitution.

WGME-TV reported that Katelyn Kampf was arrested last week on several warrants after failing to appear in court for a prostitution summons issued in October.

That charge came after police set up a sting operation at a Portland hotel. Police say Kampf failed to show up for a Dec. 4 court date on the prostitution charge.
This week, she appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" to talk about the charges against her parents. The parents were arrested in Salem, N.H., after Kampf escaped from them in September.

The kidnapping charges were dropped after Kampf's parents pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct in a plea agreement. Kampf had no comment to the TV station on the prostitution charge.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14853309/detail.html

#13 ·
Prostitution Charge Dropped For Alleged Kidnap Victim

Kampf Arrested In Maine Prostitution Sting

PORTLAND, Maine -- A prostitution charge against a young woman who accused her parents of kidnapping her in an attempt to persuade her to have an abortion is being dropped as part of a plea agreement.

The lawyer for Katelyn Kampf said she agreed to plead guilty on the understanding that the charge will be dropped after nine months if she remains in counseling and stays out of trouble.

Attorney Robert Levine said the 21-year-old Kampf has made good progress since beginning therapy. He said she's back on good terms with her parents and plans to return to college in the fall.
Nicholas and Lola Kampf were arrested in Salem, N.H., in September 2006. The kidnapping charges were dropped last October when the parents pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of assault and disorderly conduct.

Katelyn Kampf was arrested later that month during a prostitution sting operation at a Portland hotel.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15877597/detail.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.