Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just hearing on the news how a young woman died, apparently after being struck in the eye by a "non-lethal" weapon (plastic bullet) shot by the Boston Police. Now everyone is dumping on the cops.

I'm sorry this person died, but what happened to the notion of personal responsibility? Why does someone willingly put themselves in a potentially dangerous place? The BPD did a great job, but they are getting slammed by the media again.

I'm sure the multimillion dollar wrongful death lawsuit is already in the works....

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Ya I just watched the news and they said it was a 21 year old female student from Emerson College.
I feel bad for her family, but we all know how this will end up. Can you say witch hunt :twisted:
The Media has already started the spin. What they were calling a riot last night is now being called a celebration ( I stayed up after the game and watched the animals go nuts and it looked like a riot to me.)

·
1,334 Posts
I just saw the story on Ch. 5. Definately a horrible story. They reported the female student was a Junior at Emerson College. They also interviewed the young womans father too. I am sure the ambulance chasing attorney's will be lining up at the door for this lawsuit trying to blame it all on the police and make a name for themselves

I am sure it is horrible for the family of the girl, but if your in the middle of an out of control crowd by choice, your at risk. Too bad the media is going to monday morning quarterback the Police Department and use of non-lethal force to death on this one. Last year the media and people said not enough was done and this year it will be too much. People are never happy...

Good Job to all the officers who were out in the middle of that chaos...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I guess the sage advise "...don't get in front of a bullet..." would apply here. I was, as most of you were (or are) a "college rudent". I don't know about you, but going to school full-time and working a couple of jobs didn't leave much time for "college hijinks"!

I'm sure her ETOH was 0.00... :?

Condolences to the family...but remember, you raised her and she is a reflection of your familial values... :cry:

The victory (or defeat) of your 'sports' team is not an excuse to conduct yourself in an uncivilized manner.

Period.

G

·
What is interesting is if you check the web site for the FN 303 which is what the weapon they say was used. It is lethal at less than five feet. I would be surprised if she was killed by the police, and not something else,bottle ,rock, fall. But it is still a tragedy, and made me think because I was there last night and walked right where she died.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is an unfortunate incident, but it was not the less than lethal that killed her. Her and several other idiots were on top of a wall destroying signs glass and anything else. Less than lethat oc rounds were deployed. This girl fell of the wall that she shouldn't have been on and hit her head. She died from the head trauma later on.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Yeh does not appear to be the result of a fall....this was posted on espn.com,

"During a news conference carried live on local television stations, Boston Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole expressed the department's sympathies to Snelgrove's family and said the agency "accepts full responsibility for the death of Victoria Snelgrove."

"The Boston Police Department is devastated by this tragedy. This terrible event should never have happened," O'Toole said."

"It appears from evidence we have reviewed thus far that Tori was killed when she was hit in the eye by a projectile fired as officers tried to control mobs outside the ballpark," O'Toole said. "Designated officers were equipped with less-lethal systems that use projectiles designed to break upon impact, dousing the target with (pepper-like) spray."

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
That sucks for her family, i feel for them.

But did anyone else the video of those two chicks going at in the street? Holey shit! And then a boyfriend pulls one off of the other one by her hair! What a sweetheart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sad, But if you have an ounce of common sense you would leave a situation where cops are trying disperce a rowdy crowd.

OH yes... Nice job by the BPD Commish, ever hear of an investigation and standing by your cops until one is performed. Sounds like another Ray Kelly!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
if it was only that easy "police move back, police move back" they turn around with a stupid ass look on their faces then just get worse I'm sorry I do feel bad for the family but I can tell you right now i'm sure their daughter was not acting like a little angel at the time this happened !!!! if you don't comply then you suffer the consequences plain and simple sad that a person was killed.And I am sure the investigation will prove no wrong doing from the officer invovled, It was one hell of a night trust me we all had a long night im sure and this is only the beginning if they win the world series it will be the superbowl after math X 5 good luck and stay safe !!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
First off I'd like to express my sympathy to this young woman's family. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for them.

Second, as un-PC as it may be I can't help but think that this whole mess would have been avoided if the police were still allowed to use fire hoses to disperse crowds. I know it brings back the image of race riots but one can't argue the effectiveness of high-pressured H2O as a non-lethal.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
They were out in full force last night. At 12:01 I heard 15 gunshots in from the Hyde Square area in Jamaica Plain. Various & scattered gunshots could be heard from across both sides Columbus Ave for the next 15 minutes or so. It's bad enough I had to deal with idiots driving and waving flags and beeping horns for 4 hours straight, but that's hardly anything compared to the BPD and NEMLEC guys had in Kenmore Square.

Backed up NUPD with a car that was wanted for running over some dope in the middle of Mass Ave too. It was so busy, it took 20+ minutes to get a BPD unit to respond. I am not knocking the response time at all, I am just stating that they were extremely busy with the foolishness all over.

After watching TV from ESPN to Fox to local & national coverage and seeing all the idiotic behavior displayed, I can state for certain that 98% of the troublemakers were less than 24 years old. Basically what I am saying is that the college idiots got out of hand once again and displayed their maturity putting Boston up there with the likes of Detroit, Cincinnati & Watts.

This is not a condemnation of any particular institution Police Department. In fact the college PD's handled their end of this pretty well, but their hands are basically tied once these bafoons leave the campus area. This now leads us into the tragedy that occured.

If you participate or are a bystander in a demonstration / celebration / riot / tummult and you get hurt because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, who is to blame? Only YOU in my opinion. We are all adults and if you don't have the common sense to leave an area where the police are wearing full riot gear and advancing on you with 3 foot sticks and other weaponry, you are a fool & basically get what you deserve.

Oh sure, we can argue the fact that this is a free country and you reserve your right to demonstrate / celebrate / riot if you wish. I will argue back that the police can use reasonable restraint to disperse the rioters to curb their behavior. Scaling the outside of the "Green Monster" (a 40+ foot wall) or storming Fenway Park is not a right, it's a crime. Climbing up lightpoles, destroying DPW trucks, setting fires, overturning cars, vandalism, throwing glass bottles, M/V arson and other crimes are not a right of passage. These are crimes which should be dealt with harshly. This is not Haiti after a coup, this is Boston, the supposed Athens of America.

Again, I feel for this young womans family but I was taught to avoid trouble such as this from an early age. I will teach my children the same. If you see trouble, avoid it. Don't join in or be a bystander. Turn directly around and go home.

·
1,334 Posts
Yeh does not appear to be the result of a fall....this was posted on espn.com,

"During a news conference carried live on local television stations, Boston Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole expressed the department's sympathies to Snelgrove's family and said the agency "accepts full responsibility for the death of Victoria Snelgrove."

"The Boston Police Department is devastated by this tragedy. This terrible event should never have happened," O'Toole said."

"It appears from evidence we have reviewed thus far that Tori was killed when she was hit in the eye by a projectile fired as officers tried to control mobs outside the ballpark," O'Toole said. "Designated officers were equipped with less-lethal systems that use projectiles designed to break upon impact, dousing the target with (pepper-like) spray."
I did not see the press conference, but it seems kind of odd that The commissioner is taking full responsibility for her death a day after the incident occurred. As I and most of the other people who have posted stated, if your in a celebration/riot/tumultuous group, you put yourself at risk because the mob of people your within and its careless activity puts the citizens and police at risk. I am sure she was not just passing by and was in the middle of this mess (although the media will spin it that way I am sure).

That being said, it creates an extreme danger and risk of bodily harm or death to both citizens and the police, which would be a level five on the use of force continuum and a variety of responses would be appropriate, up to and including lethal force (non-lethal in this case it appears). I not top brass at BPD and their decision to come out with this the way they have perplexes me. :shock: If the officers were acting within the parameters of the use of force guidelines, then back them up!! Let the court sort it out later and don't hang the department and especially the officers out there to a lawsuit. I would not think the admins response to this would be too well received or help moral.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I go to BSC, so I'm no where near Boston, but I can tell you that the kids who were "rioting" aren't real Red Sox fans. After the last out, all I could do was run and yell. The real fans were too much in shock to do anything "destructive". All those kids wanted to do was destroy things, they're not real baseball fans. Besides which, what's the point of ruining someone's car, or burning something, because a sports team won?

The girl who died comes from the town next to me and a bunch of people I know, knew her. I feel bad, however, something had to be done. Did someone have to die? Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know. But for everyone to be saying, "The police didn't have to shoot people. They could have done something else", what? What else coudl they do? Yell? Have the riot team line up? Have mounted officers? Cruisers? They did all that. There's nothing else that could have been done. It's a sad situation but we'll never know if it could have been resolved some other way.

There's absolutely no reason to destroy people's cars, set things on fire, destroy public property, start fights...just because a team won a game. I was excited too but all I could do was sit there and smile and freak out.

Well, that's all I have to say. Just my :2c:

·
Registered
195 Posts
It is a showing that 1 percent of the 99 percent of people are total and complete idiots. Becuase of there actions someone is tragically injured. I remember beign in college and celebrating wins.. When the police told me to leave I moved and left. I don't understand where some people get off telling LEO's to go screw and continue to move towards them in a gesturing manner. We have families and loved ones to go home to as well. I wouldn't let some brainless moron who could give 2 #$%@s about me or my family even attempt to put me in a position which endangers my life.

We are all aware that people in numbers are a force. 100 officers really are not going to put to much fear in them. I say bring the wagons in, the minute some fool starts to get disorderly, make showing out of him and put him away.

I can't beleive that O'Toole would even consider that statement about responsibility. That is just asking for public outcry. What ever happened to using force to vigitate the threat. Not, "Full responsibility for our actions". If you say that explain it.... Good God..!!! All day at work I have been explaing to people why the police traied to act in this manner. They don't want to hear it. All they care about is "police abusing their powers and blah blah blah".. well you know what I say.... When you are in trouble... who are the first people you call.. 911... Right... and when they don't do something you complain.. and when they do you complain... Next time .. don't call.

G

·
I am reading the Herald right now and what the F**k. There is no need to put the pictures of that girl on the cover and the one inside. That paper seems to be going down hill every time I look at it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.