Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman attacked by kangaroo saved by pet dog

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - An elderly woman was attacked by a large kangaroo on a farm in Australia and was lucky to be alive after a pet dog leapt to her aid, her son said Saturday.
The 6-foot-5-inch kangaroo lunged without warning at 65-year-old Rosemary Neal as she went to check on some horses in a paddock on the property near Mudgee, 160 miles northwest of Sydney on Friday, son Darren Neal said.
The kangaroo "just jumped up and launched straight at her," Darren Neal said. "He hit her once and she just dropped and rolled. My dog heard her screaming and bolted down and chased him off.
"It wasn't for the dog she'd probably be dead."
Rosemary Neal was hospitalized for for deep cuts to her face, hands and back and a concussion, he said.
Kangaroos are widespread across Australia and there are dozens of species in the family, ranging from tiny, 17-ounce potoroos to Red Kangaroos, the world's largest marsupial that can grow past 6 feet tall and weigh more than 200 pounds.
Most species are not considered aggressive toward humans, and attacks are extremely rare. But males fight each other for mates, rearing up on their tails to scratch at the soft belly flesh of their rivals with the powerful legs they more commenly use for their trademark leaps.
Darren Neal said mobs of kangaroos had become common on their farm and his mother thought nothing of walking through them in the paddock. Usually, they just jump away. "My mum is 65 years old and about five-and-a-half foot," he said. "Her whole body is sore where she has dropped to the ground."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080719/D920Q5S80.html

G

·
I visited Australia in 1992, and was amazed at how pervasive kangaroos are. Imagine squirrels being between 4 and 6 feet tall, and that's an idea of how many of them there are.

G

·
That would be some scary Sh**.
I ain't sh****** you.....they're literally everywhere.

Most everyone who lives outside the urban areas (Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, etc.) have crash bars mounted on the front of their cars, called "roo bars" because it protects their vehicles from damage if they hit kangaroos;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullbar

I thought it was funny also, until I had a few near-misses with kangaroos while driving to the Hunter Valley wine region. :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Proves the point why I love dogs, especially the herding types.

They love their family first, love to work and play, then be fed.

I know they did not mention what type of dog, but any time when loyalty and sacrafice are needed without second thought what better than a dog whatever the breed.

Here is a riddle for all the K9 folks when the original Rin Tin Tin died, who's arms did he die in?

G

·
I know they did not mention what type of dog, but any time when loyalty and sacrafice are needed without second thought what better than a dog whatever the breed.
Most farms Down Under have Australian Cattle Dogs, some of which (Blue Heelers) actually have blue fur;

Here is a riddle for all the K9 folks when the original Rin Tin Tin died, who's arms did he die in?
Jean Harlow or Marlene Dietrich.....I forget which.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
I spent 3 weeks in Australia in 2003. I was standing in a herd of kangaroos (in a zoo) and they were very calm but extremely alert. I was impressed how several were standing guard looking in every direction. All of a sudden something spooked them and the whole herd began moving. I thought I was going to get trampled!

The other dangerous signs I saw everywhere (creeks, brooks, storm culverts, etc) were these:

G

·
I spent 3 weeks in Australia in 2003. I was standing in a herd of kangaroos (in a zoo) and they were very calm but extremely alert. I was impressed how several were standing guard looking in every direction. All of a sudden something spooked them and the whole herd began moving. I thought I was going to get trampled!
Was it the Sydney Zoo, the one on the water? I found that place fascinating.

What I found ironic was the love/hate relationship Aussies have with kangaroos; on one hand they're considered pests because there's so many of them, but the people also realize their uniqueness and take pride in them. When I was there in 1992, I remember being in my hotel room half-biffed on Foster's, watching re-runs of a show from the 1960's called Skippy the Bush Kangaroo which was a lot like Lassie except with a gray kangaroo instead of a Collie.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
No, it was something "world" just north of Cairns. I spent a few days in Brisbane, a week in Cairns to dive the Great Barier Reef and then a week in Sydney, with travel to the Blue Mountains.

Did you climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge? It was awesome...

G

·
Did you climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge? It was awesome...
Yep, saw the Sydney Opera House for the whole experience. I also spent a day in Canberra and saw Parliament as well as the Australian War Museum, which was unbelieveable. They have a pair of the Red Baron's flight boots on display.

·
Super Moderator
7,134 Posts
I spent a few days in Brisbane, a week in Cairns to dive the Great Barier Reef and then a week in Sydney, with travel to the Blue Mountains.
I love to dive, but that's one of the few places I won't go (due to the sharks). To me, it's like taking a police job in Baltimore or Chicago. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts