Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I need a question answered and some info, Beyond what is posted under NEWS on NCIC.

In the olds days :) when we had someone stopped and wanted to run them for warrants, we did more or less a Q2, if there was a hit, it tell you the department and then you call the department and see if they wanted to come down and take him. The WMS came along and anyone could exucute the warrant and process him/her thru the nearest court. What I need is the law or regulations that changed that and STATES, you SHALL or MUST run him thru WMS , not notify the department. Of course that is why we have WMS, to make it easier.

The reason for the question is that as a Federal agency, we do have State authority under a law signed in 1975 by Gov Dukias. But I need to put something in writing as a Union rep to our leaders :) :) :) for our department in DC, since they have some new rugulations coming out. So I don't need cut and paste, I need the latin writing :) of the law or regulations of WMS is there is such a thing. Any assistance is appreciated

·
Registered
84 Posts
With WMS, does the dept that issued the warrant get notified when you transmit the LW screen (located warrant)? I've always wondered if it does that automatically or if a human being somewhere has to send the notification. You know, those short teletypes that begin with "Warrant Recalled" and have the date, docket, ref #, etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
sgtmvm";p="66534 said:
With WMS, does the dept that issued the warrant get notified when you transmit the LW screen (located warrant)? I've always wondered if it does that automatically or if a human being somewhere has to send the notification. You know, those short teletypes that begin with "Warrant Recalled" and have the date, docket, ref #, etc.
For WMS warrants - no. For all other records entered by your agency - yes (ex: if you entered a stolen plate you will get a short print out every time it is queried or located) If you entered the warrant yourself (EW) you would also get the same type of notices. I usually have temporary felony warrants entered for serious felonies and domestic A&B's right away. This is a great tool that is underutilized.

You do get a notice (CJIS printout) from the courts every time a warrant is issued and recalled for your cases. The courts do this manually at a terminal which is then transmitted automatically to the appropriate agency terminal.

Another interesting thing is the "Warrant Extract" that you can run off of CJIS each week. This lists all of your warrants and all of the warrants for people who live in your jurisdiction. You get it in MS excel format by minimizing the regular CJIS screen and followng the instructions in the instructions for warrant extract file.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Michaelbos, I think the key point you need is in 276-23a: (as linked by bluesamurai22)..

"...... No law enforcement officer, who in the performance of his duties relies in good faith on the warrant appearing in the warrant management system and, in turn, the criminal justice information system, shall be liable in any criminal prosecution or civil action alleging false arrest, false imprisonment, or malicious prosecution or arrest by false pretense."

·
Registered
294 Posts
sgtmvm";p="66576 said:
Interesting, thanks.

Lest we forget the SUSP list...a favorite in my city :twisted:
Check out MGL C. 90 S. 34P. Most officers wait until they see these people out driving. A more proactive approach would be better and is actually mandated by law. - It's much better to go knock on doors and let people know that they can't drive than to let them get into a crash while uninsured.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-34p.htm

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreicate all the replys, but what I need to show these knuckle heads in writing is that (You SHALL-MUST) arrest on a warrent if one knows it is in effect. The libel part we all knew about.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
michaelbos";p="66632 said:
I appreicate all the replys, but what I need to show these knuckle heads in writing is that (You SHALL-MUST) arrest on a warrent if one knows it is in effect. The libel part we all knew about.
I states you are commanded to arrest!

·
Registered
294 Posts
michaelbos";p="66632 said:
Ohhhhh...Why didn't you say so? That's an easy one:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/268-22.htm

Only a $50 fine - but still a crime.

Much more serious but still applicable:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/268-23.htm

I have used this last statute to get apartment managers to open doors for me. It could apply to warrants or to serious breaches of the peace:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/268-24.htm

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
michaelbos";p="66718 said:
ah, that's some of the stuff I was looking for. I give you the italian blessing. :D
Mike!
Have you ever given that to John Baffa?????
:wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.