Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A SWAT team using stun grenades helped Sudbury police arrest a teenager suspected of having drugs and a gun Thursday morning, police said.
Citing an "in-depth investigation," police said they suspected that David Stowell, 18, was in possession of drugs, a .44 magnum revolver, and two possibly vicious guard dogs. So when they obtained a search warrant for his Pelham Island Road home, they brought backup.
Stowell at first refused to open up when police arrived at 6 a.m., but he was taken by surprise when the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council SWAT team forced its way into the house and used Flashbang stun grenades to subdue him, police said. The council is a consortium of more than 40 police departments and law enforcement agencies.
Police said they found cocaine, marijuana, cash, and distribution paraphernalia, including mini plastic baggies in the house.
Two teenage girls who were in the house at the time of the raid were sent home without being charged. Their names were not released.
Police later learned that one of the suspect's dogs had recently been given away, and the other was with his parents, who were not home at the time.
Police would not say what quantity of drugs was found.
"It was definitely an amount consistent with distribution as well as the packaging items consistent with distribution," said police Lieutenant Scott Nix.
No gun was found, but police recovered about 50 .44 magnum cartridges.
Stowell was taken into custody and charged with possession of Class B and D substances with intent to distribute and illegal possession of ammunition.
Except for the momentary shock of the stun grenades, police said no one was injured in the bust.
"It was more or less due to the SWAT team's diligence and professionalism," Nix said. "They were able to surprise him."
Neither Stowell nor his parents could be reached for comment.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/10/18/with_swat_team_police_arrest_teen_in_sudbury/

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Except for the momentary shock of the stun grenades, police said no one was injured in the bust.
And if someone does get hurt, who takes the hit, the town of Sudbury and the officer who wrote the affidavit, or the consortium of officers from 40 different towns...

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
taken by surprise when the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council SWAT team forced its way into the house. The council is a consortium of more than 40 police departments and law enforcement agencies.

M E T R O S T A R

Misfit Ego Teams Responding Out (to) Small Towns Acting Ridiculous

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Sounds like a bit to much just for an 18 year old dealing drugs in Sudbury! I guess they have to justify their existence..
I wouldn't say that the tactics used were "a bit much" given the high probability of a firearm and threat to officer safety:

A SWAT team using stun grenades helped Sudbury police arrest a teenager suspected of having drugs and a gun.

No gun was found, but police recovered about 50 .44 magnum cartridges.

M E T R O S T A R

Misfit Ego Teams Responding Out (to) Small Towns Acting Ridiculous
The LECs are a definate threat to the job security of the MSP STOP and SERT teams. Can't we all just get along??

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
The LECs are a definate threat to the job security of the MSP STOP and SERT teams. Can't we all just get along??
Would we (the citizens) prefer a full-time team, or a part-time team? If I'm a chief of a small/medium sized town, I need to not only focus on public safety and policies, but retention is also part of my daily life. How do I keep young, motivated, talented officers on my dept? Dodge Chargers, shooting schools, ninja suits and SWAT teams is one way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts