Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard it is illegal to access a private wireless network, can anyone help me find the federal law, or point me into the direction of it?

Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Re: Wireless Network Access from Vehicles "War driving&

I aggree.
Ive done it before, actlay lall this last week i was using an unsecured network while mine was down, and have used unsecured networkds to access the WWW from random neighborhoods before.

I see it this way (but who am I).
If you turn on your garden hose and let the water run down the street, you obviouldy do NOT care what happens with that water. Now if somone poisons that water, theres a problem.
If I use a part of a utility you are openly broadcasting, its wasted discarded resources. Now, if i access YOUR computer and start playing with your files, theres clearly a crime involved.....

·
Registered
294 Posts

Mass. Law on the subject:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/266-120f.htm

Chapter 266: Section 120F Unauthorized access to computer system; penalties

Section 120F. Whoever, without authorization, knowingly accesses a computer system by any means, or after gaining access to a computer system by any means knows that such access is not authorized and fails to terminate such access, shall be punished by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than thirty days or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars, or both.

The requirement of a password or other authentication to gain access shall constitute notice that access is limited to authorized users.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts

You might want to check fed law for the real nitty gritty on accessing wireless networks.

Some issues to contend with include theft of service, trespass, some parts of the DMCA, Patriot Act, and Can Spam Act also may apply.

FOr example if you use a network that you aren't supposed to use or have explict rights to use and send SPAM using their IP as a "proxy"...big probelms for you.

Also note computer system and computer network are often times two different things.

Chapter 266: Section 33A Obtaining computer services by fraud or misrepresentation; penalties

Section 33A. Whoever, with intent to defraud, obtains, or attempts to obtain, or aids or abets another in obtaining, any commercial computer service by false representation, false statement, unauthorized charging to the account of another, by installing or tampering with any facilities or equipment or by any other means, shall be punished by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars, or both. As used in this section, the words ""commercial computer service'' shall mean the use of computers, computer systems, computer programs or computer networks, or the access to or copying of the data, where such use, access or copying is offered by the proprietor or operator of the computer, system, program, network or data to others on a subscription or other basis for monetary consideration.

So to this end I have a wireless network set up in my house, I pay $40 a month for my high speed connection, you drive by and park down the street, and tap in, you are taking a service that you are not paying for, hence defrauding the company.

Think along the lines of direct TV, you have modified equipment that's able to "steal" or use anothers signal...you get in big trouble.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts

So to this end I have a wireless network set up in my house, I pay $40 a month for my high speed connection, you drive by and park down the street, and tap in, you are taking a service that you are not paying for, hence defrauding the company.

Think along the lines of direct TV, you have modified equipment that's able to "steal" or use anothers signal...you get in big trouble.
Well, what if im paying Company XYZ, which you pay as well for the identical service, and I use said service from your location not mine???

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts

What if you have a bandwidth limit and you, in order to get past it, use mine? You are still defrauding the compnay providing the service....
I'm no lawyer but if it isn't yours and you don't have express permission to use it, then you are prolly in violation of some law, state or federal.

Well, what if im paying Company XYZ, which you pay as well for the identical service, and I use said service from your location not mine???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts