Winter Hill gang rides again in new tell-all | MassCops

Winter Hill gang rides again in new tell-all

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by cc3915, Dec 13, 2010.

1. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Can’t get enough of the notorious Winter Hill Gang, the Irish thugs who ruled the Hub underworld in the ’60s and ’70s? Then do check out “Citizen Somerville,’’ a newly released memoir by Bobby Martini, who grew up with gangsters Howie Winter, Buddy McLean and Brian Halloran — and lived to tell the tale.

Bobby, a longtime driver for Teamsters Local 25, didn’t rely on just his own memories for this trip down a mobbed-up Memory Lane. He had help from Winter and other pals of his late father, Bob Sr., who ran Marshall Motors in East Somerville, Winter’s defacto headquarters for many years.

“Every book, every movie out of Boston is about Southie or Charlestown,” said Martini, a former MDC cop. “Somerville had its share of stories and characters, too. I thought there needed to be a true story of Somerville.’’

Winter Hill gang rides again in new tell-all - BostonHerald.com

2. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

CC, you know I love the Mets, but wasn't the guy who wrote this book a Met, before he went to the Medford (I think) PD?

[​IMG]

3. cc3915

4. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I knew it was something like that. I loved that book. I am still amazed how they pulled it off and almost got away with it.

5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

So wait, was Martini in on it or is he just writing about the gang?

6. cc3915

Let's just put it this way......he has "inside information". I'll have to read the book to see if everything was the way that I remember it.

7. HuskyH-2

Probably going to buy this today so when I finish I'll have to get your take on it.

8. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I can't wait to get that book.

When I was reading the Black Mass, it was weird to actually beable to say that I knew a lot of the people who were mentioned in it. There is a strong reference to a Framingham Murder some decades ago. Since I have been on the job, I actually had contact with the victim's son. I have seen the .45 cal Greece Gun in out evidence room. That was the weapon that was used to kill him. Very strange indeed to stand that close to history.

9. cc3915

10. HuskyH-2

Just looked up black mass will probably grab that too. Going to be cycling through reading about four books for the rest of this month lol.

11. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I read Black Mass right around the time Connelly went on trial. Went on down to the Federal Courthouse to see if I could sit in on the trial and found a retired Detective from my town working as a Marshal at the door. Got me front row seats for every day of the trial. It was really interesting to know the story, then get to see the players in person.

12. cc3915

Another great book to read about Somerville and the old days is this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Winter-Hill-McCain-Detective/dp/product-description/1400050758"]Amazon.com: Legends of Winter Hill: Cops, Con Men, and Joe McCain, the Last Real Detective (9781400050758): Jay Atkinson: Books[/ame]

It's the story about Detective Joe McCain, an old friend and probably the best cop I ever worked with.

13. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Dam does that bring back memories.

14. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

One of the best books I ever read;

Final Confession: The Unsolved Crimes of Phil Cresta
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Final-Confession-Unsolved-Crimes-Cresta/dp/155553449X]Amazon.com: Final Confession: The Unsolved Crimes of Phil Cresta (9781555534493): Brian P. Wallace, Bill Crowley, Gilbert Geis, Dennis Lehane: Books[/ame]

It really fills in alot of holes from the 60's and 70's. I don't recommend much, but this is a MUST HAVE for any Boston crime junkie.

15. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

I think out of a strange curiosity I tend to read these books, but I can only tolerate so much of these assholes letting us know how tough they are and what bad asses they used to be. I have read most, Rat Bastard, Brothers Bulger,Brutal, etc.., never paid for one book, I refuse to give these shitheads any money to reward them for the life of shit they led, at least Weeks and Shea's books anyway.

16. HuskyH-2

Ya I read those ones and Enforcer, still gets my interest I figure i might as well read the rest.

17. cc3915

Cheap bastard! :shades_smile:

18. Truck Trooper

Truck Trooper MassCops Member

My Dad grew up with the Winter Hill Gang and hung with them. That was a way of life according to Dad.

19. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Old Somerville was good for the soul. It made me the sarcastic bastard I am today. Its children have grown to be well rounded police officers and infamous criminals. Sometimes a mixture of both.
    All the books previously mentioned are good reads, especially if you know the names and places. The Clemente book "Cops are Robbers" was made into a typical cheesy 80's TV movie.

http://www.lifeofanactor.com/copsarerobbers.htm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cops_are_robbers/

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

20. cc3915

Hollywood big makes a play for Martini diaries

Now that mobsters are hot again in Hollywood, Teamster Bobby Martini’s self-published memoir, “Citizen Somerville,” has caught the eye of producer Garrett Grant, who thinks the Boston burg’s thuggish way of life in the ’60s and ’70s was “fascinating” and begs to be told on the big screen.
    “I’m not a headline chaser, so I’m not gravitating to tell yet another Whitey Bulger story,” Grant, 40, told the Track. “I’m more interested in the way of life of these people (such as Howie Winter, Buddy McLean and Brian Halloran) and following the different characters over time.”
    Grant, a producer of Tom Cruise’s upcoming flick, “Rock of Ages” who worked for the Farrelly Brothers since before the boys hit it big with “Dumb & Dumber,” said while Howie Winter’s story is a slam-dunk, he’s also obsessed with the women in the story.

Hollywood big makes a play for Martini diaries - BostonHerald.com