Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an old topic where someone had asked about a person's duty boot preference. I replied, along with many others, that the Corcoran Jump Boot was the way to go. Now, with the cold weather approaching I was wondering what types of "winter" boots you wear on duty. I will be out in the snow and elements while working my shift. I am looking for comments and/or suggestions about good boots. Like I said, I love the Corcoran, but I don't think that they offer a "winter" or cold weather boot. Probably because there aren't alot of airborne operations/exercises in the winter. I am looking for something waterproof, obviously (GoreTex etc.) with a warm lining (Thinsulate). I prefer the look of the toe cap (corcoran jump boot) but can't find any like it. Any help or comments would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Danner Ft Lewis boots or Matterhorns. Both have what you are looking for, but for the capped toe. Wore the Danners for years, in winters in Mass., and also in a tour in Korea. Always had warm, dry feet. Even standing alongside a hole on a road detail.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can't go wrong with Matterhorns. I've had mine for 6 years & they have held up great. Very warm and waterproof.

There is a rumor that they cannot be polished, as it will affect their breathability. I've been polishing mine for years & it hasn't adversely affected them at all. The way I see it, they wouldn't be military approved if they couldn't take a polish.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Jeep you're right about the Matterhorns I didn't polish mine only cleaned them until I saw my brother polishing his, he's in the Navy and they all polish them as they have no choice. Stupid rumor but I fell for it :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bellevilles are the BEST.
same style as danner and matterhorns, bigger toe box for comfort and they now seal the area around the sole to make it more durable that the exposed sides of the danner and matterhorn. I have worn all three and belleville is the best and you can't beat $112.00 for gore-tex thinsulate boots for that $$. You can only order through belleville at [web]www.lawboot.com[/web]

·
Registered
10 Posts
i own a pair of the magnum elite series waterproof boots. i love them due to their warmth. i do a lot of details and nothing keeps your feet warmer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got a new pair of Belleville winter flight boots, they rule! They give a huge LE discount on their website, so they were only $115.00 or so.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
marlboroughpd";p="47108 said:
I like a pair of Bates that are waterproof. Also, the topic is Duty boots, not jump boots.
These might suit you well, I don't know if they're steel-shanked though
:lol:

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Jeep said:
There is a rumor that they cannot be polished, as it will affect their breathability. I've been polishing mine for years & it hasn't adversely affected them at all. The way I see it, they wouldn't be military approved if they couldn't take a polish.
I agree Danner or Matterhorns for winter.

There is no doubt that they can be polished. But, it is recommended that you use mink oil (Kiwi product) instead of polish. It gives the boot somewhat of a shine but really its just to condition and waterproof your boots for excessive outdoor use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The VSP issues us Matterhorn boots and they are great. My feet have always been warm and dry. I wouldn't wear anything else during the winter.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
Bringing back to life a stale thread here... :)

Any word on how many grams of thinsulate should be sufficient for Massachusetts winters? I couldn't really find much of anything on it...some boots have 200 grams, others have 600 grams...I of course, don't want my feet to be too hot and sweat; nor do I want them to be too cold...

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
frank said:
Bringing back to life a stale thread here... :)

Any word on how many grams of thinsulate should be sufficient for Massachusetts winters? I couldn't really find much of anything on it...some boots have 200 grams, others have 600 grams...I of course, don't want my feet to be too hot and sweat; nor do I want them to be too cold...
I've worn Matterhorn from Norway to Iceland and all kinds of fun places in between. i would never wear any other boot. Keeps feet dry even when you step in deep puddles or small streams.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
sempergumby said:
I've worn Matterhorn from Norway to Iceland and all kinds of fun places in between. i would never wear any other boot. Keeps feet dry even when you step in deep puddles or small streams.
Any idea how much insulation you have in em? :)

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
frank said:
Any idea how much insulation you have in em? :)
No, I get the Military version. tall all leather water resistant mil spec. If you go shoppin for em get teh bigg muttha of em all and thats the pair i have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Being a female with very small feet, I tend to have a hard time finding boots that fit me. Aside from that fact, I have a collection of all sorts of duty boots/ different Brands. My most recent pair of boots I bought for this winter is the Matterhorn 10 inch boots. I bought the ones that are winterproofed and full of Thinsulate. I would suggest to anybody who wants these boots to size up 1/2 a size and opt for wide as opposed to regular or narrow width. I have narrow feet and they were too tight as it was with reg socks, nevermind wearing thick winter socks. Overall, I am happy with them. They are comfy, keep my feet warm/dry, I am able to run in them if I have to, and they look good. However, I noticed that if I keep the heat in the cruiser on "feet", my feet get too hot and I wish I bought the 8 inch ones, the 10 inch take forever to lace up. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts