Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you out there have one of these in your duty bags? And use on a regular basis? What model/price/where did you buy? Also how is it going to court with these citations? Do they question the meter at all? Mostly found responsible/ not-responsible?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Laser Labs Tint Meter Model 100. I think half my academy class got these soon after graduation and we paid about $50-75 in late '96 early '97. It comes with two sheets of lexan that are tinted/labeled for 78% light transmittance and 29% light transmittance both +/- 2%. Mine still reads those when I put the meter on them. It uses a 9 volt battery and I think I've only had to replace it once.

I don't use it that often but it's a great tool to get into a car. Most people that have excessive tint are trying to hide something. I think I've only fined someone once and they were being a real a$$hole.

Labs is in Scituate 1-800-452-2344

http://www.laser-labs.com

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Laser Labs Model 100 here also. Very portable 3" x 6" unit (9v) Only used it couple of times. I only know of one time 26% VLT under CH90/s.9D was charged and I'm sure it stuck. (one of several CMVI's for the dude)
8)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Our dept has two. Not sure the model. One floats around somewhere, and I grabbed one and stuck it in the cruiser I'm assigned to. I have yet to use it, and since I have been on, I know of one guy who used it. Its a good tool, just seems like it doesnt get much use.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well I asked our court pross. about it today, is there a certification required to use it? is it considered a scientific tool? and how would the court question its use and accuracy for those reasons?

any answers would be helpful.
thanks

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
TRAIN THE TRAINER

DATE: JANUARY 20, 21, 2004

TIME: ACTON TOWN HALL

FEE: $299.00 PER PERSON
$279.00 TWO OR MORE MEMBERS FROM SAME AGENCY

THE ACTON POLICE DEPARTMENT IN CONJUCTION WITH SRR TRAFFIC SAFETY CONSULTING WILL BE HOLDING A TWO DAY "TRAIN THE TRAINER" INSTRUCTOR COURSE ON MV WINDOW TINT METERS

CONTACT SRR TRAFIC SAFETY CONSULTING AT 413 527-6072 OR DET. CHRIS PREHL ACTON POLICE 978 263-2913.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
:shock: The tint meter itself doesn't even cost that much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW that class is expensive, like earlier post said the meter doesnt cost that much! I agree its a good way into vehicles and I am sure there are some fake inspections that go along with tint!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Ya Really,

What next? A class on how to use your new .45 GAP model 37?
:roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
my PD got a few b4 i left and they had a margin of error of +/- 2%. so u gotta get the dark dark ones, i don't know how they held up in court.

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
I use mine all the time...its great, especially when the tint is too dark and they dont have to side view mirrors....(GIG!! $500.00)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts