Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I worked in Erving for years. Erving, Gill and Northfield tried it. Then Gill, Northfield, and Bernardston tried it. It never worked then because the Chief's didn't want to give up their rein on authority. BUT, with the Selectmen pushing it, the cops might not have a choice. Gotta love small town politics and BS. Especially in Franklin County. :wl:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think the issue in Vt is the low pay. I took a serious look at Vernon PD and Windham Co SD. For me, w/3 kids, I just couldn't afford to live. I'd love to move up there as would my wife, but we just can't justify it. Maybe mergers would rectify that issue. Bigger agencies, more grants etc., better pay?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Absolutely Brother. Merging two PD's is a whole new adventure. I personally think it would work. You have to have the right leadership which both these two particular PD's have. It could set the presedent in Franklin County. I'll be watching closely.
Be safe.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Agreed jo. And yes a few years back Sheriff McDonald wanted to put his SD's on patrol. He has a large number of qualified guys/girls up there on the hill who could do the job. But, as you stated, Montague and Greenfield, as well as Erving and a couple smaller towns had a little hissie fit. :cry: The Chiefs were afraid that they'd be out of a job because especially in the case of Erving, the SD would do a better job. Even today when we call for a cruiser it takes 40-45 minutes to get one, if at all. I don't see that happening with the SD. If it's set up correctly, which I believe McDonald could do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.