Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll do what I'm told but I'm personally not big on enforcing seat belt laws for adults. I completely agree with the benefits of seat belt usage. I use it most of the time if I want to give someone a break but not let them off free as they have to pay but don't get surcharges.

·
1,334 Posts
Ouch! Thats a good video to show to the drivers ed classes and the teenagers that think they are can do anything in a car and not get hurt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
2-Delta @ Tue 09 Nov said:
That is a good video but my only question is why the hell was there a dashcam pointed inside the car?
I think the story was, he was one of those nit wits that like to webcam his entire life.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
...I use it most of the time if I want to give someone a break but not let them off free as they have to pay but don't get surcharges.
DARKKNIGHT - A Trooper did that exact same thing for a co-worker of mine on Rt. 3 (Billerica) last month. 75 MPH in a work zone; break on the speeding W/ a verbal, dinged for no seat belt. Saved the points. I thought that was pretty cool...

Personally, I think youd have to be a maroon to not buckle up; but I don't feel its the governments place to enforce it if your over 18.
I got my wife and parents into buckling up about 15 years ago, and now all of us all the time, but it should be choice...
:2c:

G

·
Anyone know what happened to him? P.i. is a given, how serious or has he "departed" this world, because it looks like maybe his head got nerfed under the roof.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I couldn't get the video to play but if it's the one of the guy dozing off in the mini-van I've seen it before. He is actually not the driver from what I understand but is actually in the middle row of the mini-van. It was a livery type vehicle and the video was for secuirty purposes. He was DOA with head trauma. At least that is the story a MSP Trooper told when she did my EMT refresher a month ago.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
after the videos I was shown during accident recon in the academy, and all the troopers accident pictures from over the years my seatbelt gets clicked everytime I get in the car. If i remember correctly your body suffers 3 traumas in an accident and 2 of them are reduced by wearing a seatbelt. I am a gambling man so I like better odds. Wearing a seatbelt works for me :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Kozmo I completely agree you are stupid to not wear a seatbelt but I feel its like smoking(outdoors not getting into the secondhand issue) you are only killing yourself and its not the government's place to intervene. I was just reading the post with a Sgt here and she had a great argument that people who are seriously injured and receive expensive medical treatment paid for by insurance we all end up paying higher premiums, so that's her way of justifying seatbelt gigs.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I justify seatbelt gigs in 2 ways (although the insurance premium is a good one) 1) I rather spend a few short minutes writing a ticket and than writing this person accident report and 2) If a ticket helps convince someone to wear a seatbelt I might just have saved a life in the future.

Will 1 ticket change someones mind about wearing a seatbelt? For some maybe yes, but I'm sure for many it wouldn't change their habits.... thats why we need to ticket ALL so they get in the habit of "clicking it"..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I'm curious boy and girls. How often do motorists NOT wear their seatbelts?
Do you stop a lot of people, or is it getting less frequent?

It's astonishing to think people would neglect to...
Seems whenever you hear of fatal crashes on the news, invariably its either "alcohol my be involved" and\or "occupants were not wearing their seatbelts..."
:roll:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
darkknight, I disagree...if a citizen not wearing their seatbelt only affected them, then okay...but it doesn't: one of the things a seatbelt does is to keep our butts in the driver's seat so we can attempt to control the car. Further, it prevents ones body from flying around the cab of the vehicle and damaging others! Lastly, if you wear your belt it makes it easier for the police and EMT's to find the body! :D

Hey, I investigate these collisions: the most frequent cause of death/damage is the failure to wear seatbelts: if everyone wore seatbelts, I'd be out of business. :shock:

Fortunately, people are stupid and I look forward to a long and bloody career! 8)

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
There are only two times that I will gig on a seat belt. During the click it or ticket grant shifts while on the big clock :D
or like other have said when some one needs to get a ticket but you don't want to give them a :hump:
As for the number of people who are buckling up, I would say it is way up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I justify seatbelt gigs in 2 ways (although the insurance premium is a good one) 1) I rather spend a few short minutes writing a ticket and than writing this person accident report and 2) If a ticket helps convince someone to wear a seatbelt I might just have saved a life in the future.

Will 1 ticket change someones mind about wearing a seatbelt? For some maybe yes, but I'm sure for many it wouldn't change their habits.... thats why we need to ticket ALL so they get in the habit of "clicking it"..
At one time I never wear a seat belt, I just never tought of it. That said 3 years ago I was getting on to Rt 3 in Burlington at 128 I passed someone on the on ramp, and a State Trooper was behind me. As soon as I got on RT 3 blue lights were in my review mirror.

He did not give me a ticket for the illegal pass, he did however give me one for not having on my seatbelt for $25.00. That was enough of a fine for me, to make sure I buckle up.

Getting pulled over that summer night taught me two things 1. To wear my seat belt, and 2. make sure I dont do somthing stupid when a State Trooper is behind me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, DCS I did fail to factor in cadaver locating in to my argument :lol: if I did your job I would have a different mind set suppose.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
No harm, no foul! Dead is dead, and what care we...as long as it's not our kith and kin? Truly, though, a "wearing of the seatbelt" would result in fewer fatals and assuage the seriousness of injuries.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.