Who is your favorite president? | MassCops

Who is your favorite president?

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by kttref, Sep 12, 2009.

1. kttref

kttref New Member

I was thinking about Obama painting a room today and said "hum...this guy is definitely not my definition of a leader..." And it got me thinking to my favorite president Thomas Jefferson. Although he probably painted a room or two, his ideas align a bit more with mine. He opposed big government and was more concerned about the people - which explains his involvement w/ the Declaration of Independence. He was an educated and learned man - as well as someone who appreciated architecture, etc...the best part - he was a reluctant candidate. That's what we're missing today. Too many people strive to be president they lose sight of the people. Which we had more Thomas Jefferson's around....

Anyway - who is your favorite and why?

2. celticsfan

celticsfan MassCops Member

President Taft. Because he was so large, he got stuck in the White House bathtub.

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Ronald Reagan....he restored the confidence of the public in the country, rebuilt the military that was disgracefully neglected under Carter, didn't take shit from anyone, and was just a hell of a man.

How can you not like someone whose response, when asked what he thought of the UN's condemnation of the invasion of Grenada, replied "Well, it didn't ruin my breakfast any"?

4. cc3915

cc3915 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Ronald Wilson Reagan (February 6, 1911 – June 5, 2004)

God bless you Mr. President! What a life you had. Thank you!

quote:
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan[/ame]

5. 263FPD

263FPD Well-Known Member

What color was Obama painting that room?;)

Reagan all the way baby!!! They do not make them like that anymore

6. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Theodore D. Roosevelt (1858-1919)
    Our 26th. Our youngest.
    NYC Police Commissioner.
    Asst. Sec. of the Navy.
    Lt. Col. of 1st US Vol. Cav. Reg. Spanish American War.
    Colonel, Congressional Medal of Honor winner, San Juan Hil.
    Governor, NY State.
    Vice President, US under Pres. McKinley (assasinated).
    President, United States (1901-1910)
    Nobel Peace Prize winner (for ending Russo-Jap War 1906)
    Commander, Great White Fleet: 1st circumnavigation of the globe by a naval force.

But my favorite is this... from an address delivered at the Sorbonne, Paris... April 23, 1910 ("Citizen in a Republic"):

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

7. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Ronald Reagan - Why? This is just one of a few reasons...

On April 14, 1986, Reagan ordered the U.S. Air Force and Navy to attack Libya. He announced hours after the bombing began that the United States had launched strikes against the “terrorist facilities” and other “military assets” and headquarters of Qaddafi. He declared, “Self-defense is not only our right, it is our duty. It is the purpose behind ... a mission fully consistent with Article 51 of the UN Charter.”

8. Simon

Simon Guest

9. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I have to go with Ronald Regan on this one. I know I'm probably repeating what I've already posted in other threads, but simply put he was a great man. He was an eloquent speaker and he didn't take any garbage from anyone. Our enemies knew that when he spoke of defending our country he wasn't making idle threats, he was making a promise. I truly believe, that he loved this country and that right or wrong he made the decisions he did based on what he thought was best course of action for us.

10. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

the peanut farmer before reagan...

he gets a bad rep, but i'll fight you

11. kttref

kttref New Member

Here's a quote for the morning:

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -Thomas Jefferson

Sound familiar...?

12. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Reagan, Most of the reasons have already been spoken. He was the last president I had confidence in. The moves he made with help from Nixon (talking to china) broke the back of the Soviet Union.

13. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Reagan hands down.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39dGQmBEww"]YouTube- The Humor of Ronald Reagan[/nomedia]

14. 8MORE

8MORE New Member

I cannot come to just one. It is a tie for first between George Washington, Who risked everything for his morals and ideals. Also for his forward thinking and understanding of the human nature, Keeping the very young Army Officer Corps from revolting themselves in the face of extreme hardships, To give us the nation we have today, (That the current one is trying to destroy) And Ronald Reagan, The man who's strong will, Determination and Morals saved this nation, Bringing it back from years of weakening and to a strength never seen before and destroyed the biggest external threat to the nation seen to that time.

15. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I will give you one guess as to who is not my favorite.

As far as my favorite that is hard to say. I will have to think about it longer.

16. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

+1

17. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Ronald Reagan. He reenergized the military in particular and the country in general. His policies got us out of 20% mortgages and 12% unemployment. I miss the Gipper.

18. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

RWR is my favorite, but that guy will be my new favorite once he's "...sleeping the big sleep..."

Marlowe is one of my favorite gumshoes...;)

19. 263FPD

263FPD Well-Known Member

20. tsunami

tsunami MassCops Member

Obama
    because of his F-up healthcare

21. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

Ronald Reagan is by far the best since I have been alive. (Hard to judge Presidents I was not around for). If you were alive you remember how F*&^* up the country was in when he took over 1980. Gas crisis, Hostage crisis in Iran, mortgages 20%, high unemployment, economic downfall, inflation, the cold war with the russians, boycott of Olympics and an overall discontent in the country with regards to the government.

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Lots of similarities to right now.

23. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

Well, remember all those things pre-Reagan. The economic model is John Maynard Keynes's. It is the model the current administration is using. It didn't work before, and it will not work now. Things are different this time around. We are monetizing the debt and printing money hand-over-fist. The result will be worse than we can expect.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6_Q7gIaBE"]YouTube- Heavy Metal - Captain Sternn & Hanover Fiste[/nomedia]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    ;)

24. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

Had to be yellow. As many others have state I would have to go with Reagan as well. You always knew where he stood, he would call it like he saw it. I just hope who ever comes along after this disaster will be able to pick up the pieces.

25. kttref

kttref New Member

I wonder if you're all saying Reagan because you remember him too...I was born when Reagan was in office. So for me it's a history thing. Looking back it's still TJ. Yet if I had to go modern-era it would be Reagan hands-down...it's hard to be as tough ass as he was in office...so much so no one has repeated it.