Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on making a handgun purchase later on this year when I get my LTC. I'm leaning more towards one in a 40SW caliber but i'm checking out 45s and 9mms as a secondary. I was thinking of the following but don't know which one or two to pick.

Smith and Wesson SW99/40
Glock 22/40 "pre 98"
HK-USP/40 or 45 "pre 98"
Sig P226 or P229/40
Colt/SW1911 45
Beretta 92FS-9mm

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is a very personal choice. You need to try each and decide what fits your hand (my hands are small for a male) and what you can shoot and carry comfortably. NONE of our answers really matter in comparison.

With that said, I'll offer some opinions about four of your choices that I own/shoot and an editorial comment.

- Walther P99 (almost the same as the S&W 99) in 40 handles well and has a decent trigger. Some mags are factory defective whereby the baseplate blows out dumping baseplate and sometimes everything else on the ground. S&W makes good on the problem and the S&W marked mags are NOT problematic (only the Walther marked ones used the inferior plastic). Recommended.

- H&K USP 40/45 in Compact (I own both) is still a big gun. The full-size USP is considerably bigger but otherwise probably similar handling. The trigger on this one is nasty, with few options for any good resolution. I carried it a lot, but am leaning towards my Walther P99 or S&W 1911.

- S&W 1911. Very nice gun. I only have ~4-500 rounds thru it so far and just replaced the trigger with a much shorter one. So the jury is still out on this one, but it looks like an excellent choice.

Generic issue to keep in mind on Glocks. The true safety on a Glock is the person who handles it. If EVERYONE in your household isn't real careful about following basic safety procedures, this can become a real dangerous gun to have around! The gun isn't the issue, but I know some folks that have great difficulty in following directions and thus would be "hazardous" around such a gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Glock 22, and I like it, but for concealed carry, you might consider the Glock 23 because its a little bit smaller. One BIG advantage that glock offers is that they're light, and it won't bother you if you're going to be carrying it alot.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
sig. P220.45
H & K USP compact .45 Or P2000 (LEM trigger, & ambidextrous)

.45/.40 full size glock for carry with its compact counter part (W/ interchangable mags) for back up if u so desire.

i am not a fan of the 9mm. I would go w/ .40 S&W, .45 acp or .356 sig. just my opinion.

Also consider some good nite sites.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had a HK USP .40 for the past 2 years, and in my personal opinion it is a great weapon. The only flaw is that it's a b*tch to conceal during the summer. Then again it isn't meant for concealed carry. I used to carry it in the Blackhawk concealed fanny pack, but that just drew attention and wasn't kidding anyone.
So I've recently purchased an HK P2000. This is my new pride and joy. I bought a horizontal holster for the small of your back and it is perfect for concealed carry.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know about the P2000. It looks like a specatular pistol. If "or when" I get into an offical LE department the P2000 will probably be the one of the first I'd request as a sidearm. But for the meantime I'm limited to firearms that are MA Compliant or pre 98 until the Girly Men in office change their mind on the issue or get replaced.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
oohhh tack, tell me about it! that P2k is sweet, i love the fact that is ambidextrous and the built in picatanny rail!

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Sig 226 in 40, 229 in 40, SW99 in 40....the rest I wouldn't waste my time with. Pre98 and all - waste of time and extra money. Also since this is a CCW, you want to be able to CONCEAL it the USP too big, Glock OK but pre98, 92sf...please... the SW 1911 45 is pretty damn big and more so pretty damn heavy in almost every config.
The added benefit of the .40S&W, they convert easily to the .357 Sig.

PS the new sigs have rails.
The P2000, neat gun not really sure if I like it yet.

Channy1984";p="55654 said:
Im planning on making a handgun purchase later on this year when I get my LTC. I'm leaning more towards one in a 40SW caliber but i'm checking out 45s and 9mms as a secondary. I was thinking of the following but don't know which one or two to pick.

Smith and Wesson SW99/40
Glock 22/40 "pre 98"
HK-USP/40 or 45 "pre 98"
Sig P226 or P229/40
Colt/SW1911 45
Beretta 92FS-9mm

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You're probably thinking of the Manchester Firing Line range & gun shop beside the airport.

Don't know the status of AFS, but if they are still renting guns and range time, that might also be a good place to try some.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I first got into purchases I thought I would go to one of those ranges too and try out a few things. After seeing the prices of Boston gun range in Worcester I decided I was better off putting the money towards a pistol and selling it if it didn't grow on me. If you already have a long gun join a smaller outdoor sports range..... strike up a conversation and most shooters will let you pop off a few from their pistols and share their sport.
Alot of you choices are a little big for concealed carry, but I've carried full frame auto in shorts and a t-shirt alot with no problems. My choices do take a bit away from comfort.
If you want something real good for concealing look at the Beretta 9000. You can get it for $379 I believe at fsguns.com , new and compliant. If you want to spend more for something mid-sized think about a Sig Pro ~$550. I know someone will booo and hiss at me for saying this, but a nice larger 45 is the new Ruger 345. It's sized right for comfortable carry, gives you 9rds of 45 at the ready, and you can get it brand new for around $400. It comes with a rail too.
Don't loose too much sleep over your purchase, it's not like buying a car. They don't loose alot of value just by taking it home and using it a few times.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
i have a para p10 .45 w/ a extended base plates w/ finger groves. it nice and its small but its heavy as all hell!

·
Subscribing Member
1,615 Posts
USMCMP5811";p="57409 said:
GARDA";p="57265 said:
"Plasma pulse rifle in the forty watt range"...
You mean a p72k545qr893214 Modulated Space Modulator.
Precisely. Marvin the Martian, right?

Above was from The Terminator (original movie), when Arnold first goes into the gun shop to get weapons and the clerk says, "Hey, only what you see here pal"... ahh, the classics.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Hey! Just what you see on the shelf pal................

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Glock 22 and I love it. I've also shot the sig 239 and I really liked that, and thinking that that is going to be my next purchase.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
GARDA";p="57468 said:
mpd61";p="57459 said:
Hey! Just what you see on the shelf pal................
:thumbup: That's it!

Nice grease gun too!
Yeah man!

Cheap stamped SMG's Rule!!! Thanks for noticing
:rock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts