Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stoughton driver faces a host of charges, including OUI, drug possession

Tom Webb III is accused of driving at a state police cruiser on Route 139.

By Allan Stein
ENTERPRISE CORRESPONDENT
Posted Aug 29, 2008 @ 01:20 AM
STOUGHTON -

A Stoughton man is facing multiple charges, including a second offense of drunken driving, after he allegedly drove at a state police cruiser near the Route 24 onramp at Route 139.

Tom Webb III, 34, of 27 Page Terrace, Apt. 504, was arraigned Thursday in Stoughton District Court on charges of second-offense drunken driving; assault with a dangerous weapon, a vehicle; malicious destruction of property over $250; resisting arrest; failure to stop or yield; a marked lanes violation; failure to obey traffic signs; refusing to identify himself as the driver of the car; possession of crack cocaine; possession of marijuana; failure to stop for police; and driving after license suspension.

Judge Richard Savignano released Webb on $2,500 bail and scheduled a pretrial hearing for Nov.5.

According to State Police Trooper David M. Manning, at 12:30 a.m. Thursday he noticed a car on Route 139 slow down and make a hard right turn between tightly spaced barrels near a highway construction site.

Manning said he activated his cruiser's flashing lights and made an attempt to cut off the vehicle. The vehicle then accelerated at the cruiser, forcing Manning off the road into plastic barrels to avoid a collision.

The vehicle then proceeded onto the Route 24 onramp, past two pickup trucks and continued toward a backhoe and several highway construction workers.

Manning said the car finally stopped about 10 feet from the backhoe under a bridge overpass, with concrete falling onto the car's hood and windshield.

When the officer went to talk to the driver, the officer could smell alcohol inside the vehicle and saw Webb talking on a cell phone.

Webb allegedly refused to exit the car, and Manning said he forcibly had to remove and handcuff Webb, who resisted.

During the altercation, Manning said he removed a large buck-knife from the waistband of Webb's pants and sprayed Webb with pepper spray when he continued to resist.

Police also seized from Webb what appeared to be a small bag containing marijuana and a prescription bottle that contained two pieces of crack cocaine.

Webb has also has a drunken driving charge out of Taunton District Court from July 12, 2000, police said.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...rges-including-OUI-drug-possession?view=print

Well done Trooper...doubt those flagman would have done the same! :rolleyes:

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
well done trooper Manning!!!!!

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
Ho Hum just another positive thing done by a Trooper on a detail. I bet this won't get as much publicity as a cop talking on his cell phone or staring into a hole by the Herald. Great job Trooper Manning, way to represent the 79th

·
Subscribing Member
3,463 Posts
All those charges and the bail was only $2500? You've got to be kidding. Out my way, the bail would have been around $120,000. $2500 is a joke.

·
Subscribing Member
3,463 Posts
I've been learning that by reading the local papers and on this site.
Between the bail amounts and all the CWOFs, it doesn sound pretty ridiculous. All that stuff would never fly out here.
Whoops, I meant to say it does sound pretty ridiculous.

G

·
I'm surprised to see that the Emptyprise printed something that shows a PO doing something positive at a detail site. Glad to see it make the news though.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
On this topic..isnt there an open meeting in September in regards to deatils in Mass, if so where,when,time, who can go...any have any idea.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rereading it...this Manning guy kinda sounds like a dick...did you see all those charges? hahahahaha

·
Grand Admin Commander
688 Posts
Excellent job by the trooper!!. Hopefully someone is keeping track of all the arrests and lives saved by police officers on details. Then they can bring it to the state house and show that nit wit in the corner office.

G

·
On this topic..isnt there an open meeting in September in regards to deatils in Mass, if so where,when,time, who can go...any have any idea.
Barring the inevitable last-minute rescheduling, it's September 15th 5pm at the state transportation building.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
How does this flagmen thing save money? It reminds me of the early 90s when the state tried to get out of the mental health business. Closing psych hospitals and hoping for privatization. Well that blew up in their face. There is no money in psych. They just shifted the $ saved onto Hospital Emergency rooms, private mental health services and making the jails and the pine street in the biggest defacto mental hospitals in the state.

Offense meant towards the yellow shirt cops who just have guns, those should be replaced by flagmen. What would they have done?? Once again the MSP have proven my theory that it pays to have all your gear while on a detail!

I am very surprised that the pro-flagmen crowd hasn't printed an article about police officers on details without handcuffs trying to arrest a subject.

G

·
State Transportation Building
2nd Floor Conference Rooms 1, 2, and 3
10 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116
Make sure that's written in pencil on your calendar, so when the pols find out how many pissed-off cops are going to be there they can reschedule it to an even more inconvenient place and time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts