Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Does your patch read 'Campus Police' or 'Public Safety'?

• We have 'public safety' on our patch

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a proposed change from'Campus Police' to 'Dept. of Public Safety' in my deptartment. Personally, I believe for numerous reasons that this change should not take place. Additionally, our name change would also include an official title change from 'police officer' to 'public safety officer'. I consider this a safety issue. It has not officially been proposed, but, I would like to get as much info on the topic and be as prepared for a rebuttal as possible. Does your dept call themselves 'Campus Police', or the 'Dept. of Public Safety'? What's on your patch? Any views?

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
Some departments are getting away from the word "campus" altogether. Just look at the patch collection at your station or websites of the various depts Of those that are referred to as police, most do not include the word campus.

A lieutenant at a previous dept said it is not only redundant (College = Campus, it should just be X College Police Dept), but seems to minimize the authority of the officer (Campus Police vs. Real Police).

That said, he wasn't trying to say we should be Public Safety, which totally removes the police characterization. Public Safety is a term that Mall Security departments employ to sound like more than they are. :wink:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree that the moniker "Campus Police" somehow negates what we do. We are the police at a college or university. As such, we should go by the X (college/university name) police department. You don't refer to your hometown's police department as the city/town police. Imagine saying "quick, call the town/city police..." Or answering the phone "Boston City police" or "Natick Town Police".

My Dept. patch currently does not say College or Campus.

We are also re-designing our patch, and it will not say campus or college, though this is partly due to the campus' marketing program.

I previous worked for a dept. that had "college" and "Department of Public Safety" in small letters around the dept. seal with the colelge name at the top and policea t the bottom.

Some police departments, like Northeastern, are actually a part of the campus' Department of Public Safety, along with fire safet and environmental safety. Similar hing with UCONN, the police and fire departments fall under the college's Dept. of Public Safety.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
How about Hippocampus Police? Since that part of the brain deals with emotion and memory. This is after all a very emotional job. And more appropriately, in mental illnesses like schizophrenia, the Hippocampus shrinks!!!!!
:lol:
Seriously,

We're the Massasoit Police, it's that simple and that's what it says on our patches, cruisers, and radar speed trailer!
:wink:

·
8,658 Posts
It's not:

Sitting Bull
Crazy Horse
Geronomo
Chochise
Tecumseh
Pontiac
Osceola
Red Cloud
Sequoya
or anybody else but..........................................
:roll:
Massasoit of the Wampanoags!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I worked for Wentworth Institute Of Technology our patch said Wentworth Police Dept. and I agree that they should all say police dept. It is more professional. Hey, matson has anyone told you how cute you look in your uniform. ;)

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
It would appear that the college has already made the decision, everything on the website already states public safety, the only thing I saw that stated campus police was the patch itself. Has the website been changed or have they always considered your department public safety?

Some info for you...

Campus police change name, not policies
http://www.kaimin.org/sept00/9-7-00/news4_9-7-00.html

What is the University Police?
http://www.cobleskill.edu/UPD/WhatIsUPD.htm

SUCO police to be armed at all times
http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2001/08/23/guns.html

University Police and Authorization for Arming
http://www.fredonia.edu/prweb/releases/arming.htm

:eek:t:

Riggs @ 7/1/2004 2:31:59 PM said:
Hey, matson has anyone told you how cute you look in your uniform. ;)
Riggs have you already forgotten? :roll:

Sexual harassment: A student officer shall not engage in any activity, conduct, or behavior that has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with a person's academic or professional performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive employment, educational, or living environment, including, but not limited to, unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct or graphic or written displays of a sexual nature (Class I offence). A student officer who believes he or she is or has been the victim of sexual harassment should notify the academy director immediately.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My Department says "Dean College Police", then in little tiny letters around the college seal it says dept. of public safety. Look at my avatar image.

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Here at my dept the patch reads Campus Police..however so many people still call us security which drives me up a wall....Oh well the handcuffs still go on the same way...

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
My department is called the Department of Public Safety, Police Services Unit. Our patch only says police

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gil @ 01 Jul 2004 20:32 said:
It would appear that the college has already made the decision, everything on the website already states public safety, the only thing I saw that stated campus police was the patch itself. Has the website been changed or have they always considered your department public safety?
We have always identified ourselves as the department of public safety; however, we refer to ourselves and our functions as campus police. For instance, one would say, "The campus police responded to the call and brought the suspect back to public safety." Or, "Call public safety and ask for the campus police!"

My issue, is when apprehending an individual, I need to be able to say that I am a campus "police officer" when the question is posed. It is my function. It is what I do. It is what I am trained for. I am not a "public safety officer". This is a safety issue for the public in that they will stop and question if I am an "actual police officer"; thereby delaying response time. The first level of force as a deterrent is presence. Without accurate presence, my function as a deterrent to crime is not being met. Hence, this brings my safety level down; especially on a campus in a major city with a population exceeding 2800 and only 9 officers. :shock:

I definitely understand and applaud the previous post about the word "college" being omitted from the patch. It is redundant and does bring down the validity and presumed ability of officers.

Thanks Gil so much for the info. It will be put to good use. And if any other officers have any other info towards the positive or negative effect, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
smatson @ Sun 04 Jul said:
My issue, is when apprehending an individual, I need to be able to say that I am a campus "police officer" when the question is posed. It is my function. It is what I do. It is what I am trained for. I am not a "public safety officer". This is a safety issue for the public in that they will stop and question if I am an "actual police officer"; thereby delaying response time.
If you carry yourself in a squared away authoritative manner few will question your authority
The first level of force as a deterrent is presence. Without accurate presence, my function as a deterrent to crime is not being met.
As I stated above I feel that the accurate presence is more or less all about how you present yourself (i.e. uniform pressed, boots shined, hair up and off the collar, standing upright, and making appropriate eye contact when dealing with the public). The patch on the shoulder although relevant is not where you should be commanding your authority from. Your command presence and sense of authority should be coming from your projected image as a professional law enforcement officer.
And if any other officers have any other info towards the positive or negative effect, it will be greatly appreciated.
Your safety and the safety of those around you is only truly compromised when YOU doubt your authority which as you know is in the MGL not the patch on your shoulder.

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Irishpride @ 04 Jul 2004 11:02 said:
My issue, is when apprehending an individual, I need to be able to say that I am a campus "police officer" when the question is posed. It is my function. It is what I do. It is what I am trained for. I am not a "public safety officer". This is a safety issue for the public in that they will stop and question if I am an "actual police officer"; thereby delaying response time.
If you carry yourself in a squared away authoritative manner few will question your authority My response: Very true, I am a big believer in a "squared away presence", however, it has happened all too often, that upon apprehending an individual, we are given a harder time by the suspect; the one who questions our authority upon looking at our patch. For instance, did you ever have someone come straight up to you just to look at the patch on your arm. Perhaps they are a flame, but I usually get the folks that are usually the shadier looking type and are just checking to see if I am security. I recently was involved in an arrest where the individual struck an officer because he claimed that we were not police and had no right to arrest him. A patch/name change does make a difference in my opinion. In my opinion it is 'assumption of ability', just as looking like a slob is an assumption of ability.
The first level of force as a deterrent is presence. Without accurate presence, my function as a deterrent to crime is not being met.
As I stated above I feel that the accurate presence is more or less all about how you present yourself (i.e. uniform pressed, boots shined, hair up and off the collar, standing upright, and making appropriate eye contact when dealing with the public). The patch on the shoulder although relevant is not where you should be commanding your authority from. Your command presence and sense of authority should be coming from your projected image as a professional law enforcement officer. I totally agree! Right up my alley! But do you not agree that it is all tied together? So much makes up presence. Not just projected image, but, attitude, professionalism, etc. I think a departmental name falls under presence.
And if any other officers have any other info towards the positive or negative effect, it will be greatly appreciated.
Your safety and the safety of those around you is only truly compromised when YOU doubt your authority which as you know is in the MGL not the patch on your shoulder.
I do not agree with this. There are many circumstances where many factors play into safety. Tombstone courage also gets us killed. I like to be proactive. While this may seem miniscule to you, I would have to say that it is the miniscule things that matter sometimes. I am in no way doubting my authority, I am just trying to accurately represent my function, and I am trying to keep the community educated and my safety and respect paramount. Maybe we will agree to disagree. Thanks!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Really, whats it matter what your called? The fact is you still carry that state police warrant granting your police authority. If the Chief of the respective agency wants to let his/her guys run around looking like security officers (Public Safety Officers) let them. The public will see an officer and see public safety, let me tell you.. its not going to be you who looks bad. People are generally smarter to know that a patrolman makes no decision to have that title and the egg will be on your Chiefs face (normally the one who makes the decision on the patch).

Not for nothing but you guys are complaining about having public safety on your patch? Try running around with the title "Public Safety Officer" without a gun driving a MINIVAN in the old combat zone . nuff said.

·
8,658 Posts
Just had a conversation with an AFSCME official from Council#93 who states that all the departments in Higher Ed and others should have the functional titles changed to simply "Police Officer"

Seems like a good position for the Union to take.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
mpd61 @ Tue 06 Jul said:
Seems like a good position for the Union to take.
Its rare for AFSCME to take a good stand on much. Then again even a broken watch is right twice a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.