Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a patrolmans exam today. Kind of found myself between a rock and hard place on this.

The "policy" was that pepper spray maybe used in a case to prevent danger to the officer or another person.
And another part of the policy was to use it in aiding or gaining physical superitory of suspect resisting or going under arrest.
(There was more to the policy, but this is applicable)

Well the questions asked which situation would the use of pepper spray be most correct.

1 A emotionally disturbed women with a knife about to stab her neighbor
2 A suspect resisting arrest for grand theft auto.

There were two other choices, but they did not apply.

My question is which would you pick. I picked 1 because it was a life safety issue.

·
2,297 Posts
Took a patrolmans exam today. Kind of found myself between a rock and hard place on this.

The "policy" was that pepper spray maybe used in a case to prevent danger to the officer or another person.
And another part of the policy was to use it in aiding or gaining physical superitory of suspect resisting or going under arrest.
(There was more to the policy, but this is applicable)

Well the questions asked which situation would the use of pepper spray be most correct.

1 A emotionally disturbed women with a knife about to stab her neighbor
2 A suspect resisting arrest for grand theft auto.

There were two other choices, but they did not apply.

My question is which would you pick. I picked 1 because it was a life safety issue.
I would go with #2. #1 likely would require deadly force.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Agreed, the knife one required the use of a firearm...the theft one is a candidate for pepper.

G

·
I agree with coach and dcs, the one with the knife is a definite candidate for deadly force, the pepper spray is too unreliable.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
that is kinda of a loaded question u notice that it says that it is an emotionally disturbed "woman" it purposely states that it is a woman, because it is designed to make u think twice about deadly force. ask urself the same question but make it an emotionally disturbed man. I go w/ #2 also. Number one would or might require deadly force, number 2 is a suspect resisting arrest its more cut and dry it kinda stands out. I think that first answer is to make u question urself about the pssibility of shooting a female, if that was the answer they would have to give you more to the answer that would steer u away from deadly force but since it is a general scenario and isn't asking deadly force OR pepper, i think 2 is more a logical answer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You have to use the force appropriate to the threat confronted... knife.. = Deadly Force... Pepper Spray many not always stop someone... Resisting arrest.. Spray.. Yep.... I would go #2...

USE THE FORCE LUKE......

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Was it grand theft auto Vice City?

I would have used the flame thrower on the woman with the knife and a minigun on the guy stealing the car, then I would have had sex with the hooker and stole her money while beating her with a bat.

But seriously, the threat of deadly force should be met with equal force - or at least that's the way it seems to me.

So grand theft would get the spray and the lady with the knife would get the gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.