What to look forward to in R/I academy? | MassCops

What to look forward to in R/I academy?

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by FutureBosnianOfficer, Oct 15, 2015.

1. FutureBosnianOfficer

FutureBosnianOfficer MassCops Member

Hey guys,
    I am starting the R/I academy November 7th in Chelsea, what should I be expecting in the academy?

Any info would be appreciated!

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Went 7yrs ago. Constitutional law and criminal law were the hardest tests ( at least for me ) Pick your seat carefully since you'll probably be there for the next 3 months ( the peanut gallery hangs out back )

And don't volunteer for the O/C training :p

Good Luck

1821gunworks and Goose like this.
  3. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

1. That time of year it will be warmer in class than outside
    2. Snow cancellation(s)
    3. At 300+ hours, a somewhat more professional and serious version of what many of us previously experienced.
    4. Possible interview in middle of course with BOP for Devens, may add to your stress.
    5. one "hero" in every class.

pahapoika likes this.
  4. FutureBosnianOfficer

Just an update after orientation, this Reserve Academy is very serious! No clue why some people I have spoken to say it will be a joke, we were getting yelled at like a regular academy and it was only an orientation. I am very exited! Already had 3 guys decide this wasn't for them which is good because I don't want guys like that having my back one day.

Its slated for over 400 hours because of firearms, EVOC and community service things we need to do so going to be a long 6 months for me.

1821gunworks likes this.
  5. hockey8774

hockey8774 MassCops Member

The "Modern Day" reserve academy is no joke. MPTC must have finally realized that reserve graduates are actually eligible to become police officers with full police powers.

I went to the reserve academy the first year the hours got bumped to 242. Light yelling, but nothing major. Think we lost 2 overall for academic reasons. They cram a full-time academy course load in a quarter/half the time.

Advice wise, stay away from the idiots, especially the know it alls. The goal, like any other academy, stay under the radar and graduate.

You never stated if you were hired or a self-sponsor, but you should put an end to social media either way.

DeltaTango27 and pahapoika like this.
  6. FutureBosnianOfficer

Thank you for the advice hockey...by social media do you mean delete all or do not write anything during the academy? I was thinking to delete it since I really don't use it much...And I am sponsored by an Aux department

7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I would say delete all. You can never be too careful nowadays. ;)

8. felony

felony MassCops Member

When I went, back when it was the 120 hr course, you get to look forward to long drawn out war stories with zero relevance to the topics at hand. Most of the instructors are retired cops and teach this as hobby. The hardest part is staying awake make sure you get a coffee BEFORE class starts. I was stuck with auxiliaries, dispatchers and sheriffs all looking to do details. I think I had only 3 that were actually going to be reserve cops.

9. DeltaTango27

DeltaTango27 MassCops Member

Fantastic advice

Code 3 and USM C-2 like this.