What Tank Is Considered The Best | MassCops

What Tank Is Considered The Best

Discussion in 'Military News' started by 7costanza, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I have been reading alot about tanks lately the speed and power amaze me, im sure there must be a bunch of you with intimate knowledge in this subject. What tank is considered the best and why, maybe with your response you could post a pic.

2. Simon

Simon Guest

I think the DRUNK TANK at the Foxboro SP barracks is the best. GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!

3. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

OMG!!!!!!!

Too much fun for me!

(Production)
    Best Modern MBT? either M1 Abrams or latest variant of Leopard II
    Best WWII tank? either Panther (Panzerkampfwagen V) or T76/85

(Ultimate)

King Tiger (Konigstiger) Porsche turret
    JS3 Stalin

4. Nighttrain

Nighttrain MassCops Member

[​IMG]

Frank the Tank!

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I like the Israeli Merkava MBT, because it recently killed a whole lot of Hamas terrorists;

[​IMG]

6. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

I agree- that is one mean looking tank, although dated. What perplexed me in some of the pictures where they showed the Merkava was that the armored infantry backing them up were in M113 APC's !. you'd think the Israeli Army would have been using a more up to date APC by now.

Best MBT's 1) M1A2 Abrams,2) British Challenger II

7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

British Challenger II +1

Favorite WWII machine would probably be Jagdpanther. Something about that nice long 88 and the sloping front end.

8. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

9. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The IDF does use M113's for command and control vehicles, and they also have their own APC's that resemble oversized 113's called the Achzarit heavy infantry assault carrier;

[​IMG]

Here's a good article about the IDF's use of armor against Hamas;

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2009/01/16/hamas-unable-to-counter-idf-armor/

10. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I would think it would depend on which end of the gun you are one when you ask the question.
    I would think the best tank would be the one you are in shooting at the enemy and the worst is the one that is shooting at you.

11. 7costanza

12. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Discovery does top 10 Fighters/Bombers/Helicopters/Tanks/ and I think guns if I remember right....

Good shows....

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

On a related note, there is a trend in Israel now to manufacture their own military hardware, whereas they purchased most it before, mostly from the United States. I believe the thinking is to become less dependent on outside resources, which is probably an excellent idea, considering the occupant of the Oval Office.

14. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Don't forget the Merkava can also carry a short squad of infantry in the tank to support operations, kind of a unique capability, and particularly well suited to urban combat. As far as the Israeli's using M113's, its still a viable APC, and the Israeli's never get rid of anything they can get use out of. For many years the IDF still used WWII-era Super Shermans in their reserve formations. These were basic M4 Sherman frames with upgraded fire control systems and main guns.

But ultimately, my vote would go to the M1A2 as the best modern tank on the battlefield. The M1 combines heavy armor, speed, firepower and astounding accuracy. Also, the M1 MBT has a long and successful battle history, whereas the Leopard II has a very limited combat experience, and only with Canadian and Danish units. All this experience means the M1A2 has a extensive upgrades to improve its battlefield capabilities. Most recent is the TUSK or Tank Urban Survival Kit.

[​IMG]

I don't feel many machines could match the M1A2's technology and battle-proven history.

15. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

The Merkava has the engine in the front compartment to protect the 3 man crew. The Israelis way of thinking is that they can easily replace an engine but replacing an experienced crewman is way harder. Who can argue with that logic?

I still think the best WW2 tank was the Panther and the best in the world today is the Abrams tank. Don't forget the M1A1 main 120MM gun is borrowed from the German Leopard tank.

16. mpd61

Damn straight HC! But don't you agree the Jadgpanther is even sexier than the panther?
    :cool:

17. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

Agreed. Lower & more sleek but it has a fixed mount 75MM vs. a 360 degree 75MM. If I have a choice, I like to see what I am shooting at.

18. mpd61

You're right again buddy (except Jadgpanther has 88mm not 75) as usual!
    The real duels were between Pzkw Mk III's (Long barrel 50mm) and Matilda's and Comets in North Africa. That's real tank fighting!

19. Pats2009

Pats2009 New Member

I caught one of those programs a few weeks ago. The number 1 tank they rated was the Russian T-34. However ,I got to go with the M-4 Sherman. Even though they didn't stand much of a chance against a Tiger, they eventually out numbered the Tiger and were all over the place. Its scary to think of what would have happened if the Tiger was quicker to build.....

20. mopar6972

mopar6972 Subscribing Member

My vote is for the M1A2 abrams- WWII- anything with the german 88 on board was formidable-

21. mpd61

Can't help it!
    He did ask for pics! So here'e the Jadgpanther on display (Abeedeen?)
    The second photo is my personal Jadgpanzer that I'm restoring...and NO it's not my garage, I just have great friends

22. 7costanza

I can see this tank from my window..It was Pattons.
    Sent on the Now Network? from my Sprint® BlackBerry

[​IMG]