Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: what is this localpolice.net site all about ??? who runs it ? seems that they have a grudge against the State Police ... i could not get into the police forum room to read the postings they ask people to post ... any info ?

G

·
There's nothing wrong wiht making sure cops are covered in case the sh*t hits the fan. You don't want to lose your home because some OUI a-hole finds out you were two cubits out of Norwood and made an 'illegal' arrest. But, that is not what HB 593 was about. It was a power grab by Flynn and his police chief lackeys. This is plainly evidenced by the timing of the 'statewide police power' addition to the idemnification language of the bill. I could blab on, but won't.

After hearing about the above-mentioned site, I researched it a bit found it was registered to a person out of North Reading. Then, I heard it was organized by some of the North Shore Police Chiefs. Those articles in the SPAM newspaper posted on that site were a justifiable response to the perceived threat to MSP jurisdiction, manpower and union jobs. I don't always agree with SPAM, but I had to agree with their response to HB 593 and the Flynn camp on this one.

There has been little or no new material on localpolice.net in a few months.

Guinness2429

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I actually tried to check this site out tonight and found that some of it seems to be down: i.e. can not find server errors. I was interested in seeding what they had about the Quinn Bill section, as well as the SPAM articles.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
If the Local's are so worried about liability they should fight for some type of restriction such as "Extending their boudaries to say any road that connects two ends of the jurisdictinal town". I agree, Locals should have boundaries not that I think they would abuse it But I can see into my crystal ball, the Boston Police would eventualy be patroling Revere Beach "under Contract" and New Braintree Police will be responding to Chinatown when we need them

By the way, I noticed that the forum site isnt working on localpolice.net I wonder why?

:roll:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Jesus, what are we locals, yahoos or trained Police Officers. I am all for statewide authority, colleges and sheriffs, as long as they have been to a full municipal Police academy and Regional Police for that matter. Its not like it doesnt work in other states like Texas and a few others. Thee is always someone who will abuse whatever they have, and they can be dealt with.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Macop said:
Jesus, what are we locals, yahoos or trained Police Officers. I am all for statewide authority, colleges and sheriffs, as long as they have been to a full municipal Police academy and Regional Police for that matter. Its not like it doesnt work in other states like Texas and a few others. Thee is always someone who will abuse whatever they have, and they can be dealt with.
Yes it does work in Texas but.... it wouldn't work here!. The big difference is that in Texas the majority of land area is unincorporated. (90% of land not part of any municipality) The county I patrolled in Texas was about the size of MA and we did it with about 12 deputies. Many times the nearest deputy to back me up was over 30mins away. Giving every officer statewide authority greatly enhanced the chance of more timely backup and really just legalized what we were all doing anyway, and nobody's toes were getting stepped on.

Here in MA with muni-aid agreements, etc. and every sq. in. of land part of some city or town, there is no need for state-wide authority for every P.O.

I know that I often times post about Texas because I was there for 10 years but, that doesn't mean that I think everything that is done in Texas is the best or right thing to do.

·
1,952 Posts
union1 said:
If the Local's are so worried about liability they should fight for some type of restriction such as "Extending their boudaries to say any road that connects two ends of the jurisdictinal town".
Boston and Newton have that currently, 500' past the border they can still contiune CMVI etc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm undecided on this topic. where i work i know of NO officer that would abuse the authority granted by this bill. most would prefer not to get involved in matters that do not concern them. we are all full time officers and new guys out of the academy have to ride with an experienced officer for 8 months before they can ride alone - this usually makes new guys more pragmatic and takes any yahooism out of them before they ride alone. however, my concern would be that some part time or new officer who has Wyatt Earp Syndrome would be looking for things to get into while traveling through a municipality other than his own. an example would be the posting earlier regarding the small town officer requesting an immediate threat license suspension on a guy who is speeding - turned out to be an off duty officer. unfortunately, those cowboys exist in all of our jobs - be it Deputy, Constable, Campus Police Officer, Nuke Plant Officer, State Police or Municipal Police - i bet all of you are familiar with at least one that works somewhere.....

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I am for jurisdiction in BORDERING cities and town but not for the state wide deal. On any giving night I can pass through 4 bordering ma towns and a RI city (doesn't count I know) while in the course of my routine patrol. If I did happen to come across any activity that required action I would like to know that my ass is covered. I would probably still take some type of action in either case.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Gil said:
I am for jurisdiction in BORDERING cities and town but not for the state wide deal. On any giving night I can pass through 4 bordering ma towns and a RI city (doesn't count I know) while in the course of my routine patrol. If I did happen to come across any activity that required action I would like to know that my ass is covered. I would probably still take some type of action in either case.
Gil, just to play devils advocate- Would you also be in favor of extending Campus Police jurisdiction throughout the city that said college is in?

G

·
TexDep:

Thanks for the compare and contrast with the Commonwealth and the Republic. Food for thought that I hope those in favor of regional police forces and statewide jurisdiction chew on.

Guinness2429

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
union1 said:
Gil said:
Gil, just to play devils advocate- Would you also be in favor of extending Campus Police jurisdiction throughout the city that said college is in?
That's a little tough to answer. I am not talking about patrolling my surrounding towns but if I am going from point A in my town to point B in my town and take a road that cuts through another town I want to be covered if I need to take some type of action while I am that other jurisdiction for that short period of time.

I would guess the same goes for campus pd's depending on their powers. If your going from one part of the campus to another and you have to access a city or town road the same would apply provided your close to your patrol area and not on the other side of the city on unrelated business. Maybe just extending the jurisdiction a mile or so would be enough or a mutual aid agreement with the surrounding towns.

But in reality the only time you would really have to act is for a felony in progress, I wouldn't be stopping cars in another town for bad inspection stickers, speeding etc... but if I saw a break in progress or a suspected 90/24 I think I would be negligent in my duties if I failed to act.

I actually had a court case a few months back and that was the DA's thoughts. The defense tried to throw out the OUI stop, gun (other assorted weapons etc...) because I was an Attleboro Officer conducting traffic enforcement in Middleboro. The DA stated and the court agreed that if after seeing this idiot drive on the wrong side of 44 for over a 1/2 mile weaving all over the road and failed to act I would have been negligent in my duty to protect the citizens of the commonwealth. It was an interesting case because I was also still in my last few weeks of the academy. As far as I know the stop was considered good in the courts eyes.

The DA seemed to think that it was an open and shut case because of the request for mutual aid. SP Middleboro after being informed that I was in a marked patrol car requested that we attempt to stop the vehicle. Had I not called SP Middleboro and acted on my own, well that might have been a different story.

Same goes for Boston specials, they have arrest powers city wide for felony's only. I don't see anything wrong with that. I really don't think officers would start patrolling other towns looking for trouble nor do I think campus officers would start patrolling outside of their immediate campus area.

Ok done rambling need sleep.

G

·
That post wasn't rambling, Gil, that was an excellent example of how to handle a situation w/i the current mutual aide parameters. Nice job! Just goes to show you, we don't need new laws, agreements, whatever(HB593), we just need more cops like you who understand the current situation. Keep up the good work.

Guinness2429

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Why thank you, you should see my responses when I am awake.... :lol:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Being able to act brings on a whole host of issues. Attleboro PD officer is in a take home cruiser, on duty, going to a training class at the SPA. On the Pike in Auburn he spots a car in the left lane going 90. After a few miles he stops the car when it fails to do the obvious and slow down. The driver is has no ID. There is dope in plain view. Now what? Do you run him and if so through who? He is suspended and oops has a warrant. Does that officer know who to call? Will his radio reach that far back home? Sorry-this is a cellular dead spot on the Pike so forget that. Where will you be taking the prisoner? Nearest MSP Pike barracks ( :lol: yeah RIGHT!) Where does the dope go as evidence? Which court jurisdiction were you in? Who comes for the tow?

Take the same scenario but now the car refuses to stop. Who are you calling for help? Who are you telling your location too? If he crashes and bails, now what do you do? Run after him alone in a strange area without any communication?

I used to pass through miles of NY state to get to parts of my area, I never asked to be sworn in as a NY special. The same goes now for CT. They dont have it here and I dont have it there-under NESPAC if I am called there I go but otherwise, forget it. I dont want it.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
In the Commonwealth if you are driving out of your jurisdiction you can fall back on Comm Vs Baiez (Spelling May need to be Corrected) Felony Arrest Rule for Police Officers. Anything less than a felony should be handled by the respective jurisdiction.

Question is, why would you want to be tied up with all the paperwork and hastle of someone elses petty crime?? Your getting paid by (Town 1) to protect (Town 1) your not paid to protect (Town 2 and 3). If town 2 and 3 need you, they can call for assistance and Mutual Aid will kick in.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
USMCTrooper, all those scenerios are simply answered. I would not expect a statewide authority law to go through without the powers that be to make policies and such to deal with certain situations. Like anything else research and policies and scenerios would have to be thought out and policies instilled. So all those so called dilemas you presented could happen in your own juristiction could they not. Now if you stop the knucle head on the pike doing 90 and all that other stuff happens, there would be provisons and protocal in place to go by, like I said were trained Police Officers, not yahoos and there would be guidelines to follow. And who says I was refering to 90/17. Maybe I was refering to the situation when I was in Sudbury turning off on Horsepond Rd making a left when some asshole coming from down the road passing multiple cars almost slammed into oncoming traffic including myself. Maybe i'm refering to those type of things, serious but not enough to start calling state, and what ever local P.D when I could handle it, being the academy trained Police Officer that I am.

Oooops he has a warrant, why oops? As far as the dope arrest, what is the problem if there are cetrtain policies that are in place they would be followed this aint a fly by night operation so state is so great and almighty they wouldnt take prisiners from other cops or store evidence if the sate did create statewide juristiction.

You and Union dont seem to understand that i'm not looking to go statewide so I can just fuck with people and be a sparky when i'm off duty. My reasoning is that sometimes you may see something that should be taken care of, that its not always possible to get the STATE or local P.D.

So because you pass thorugh miles of another area you dont want to do nothing even though it may be something that should be dealt with and you the only cop in the area. Nice attitude, its NOT about wanting it or not, asking for it its about taking care of buisness if the situation arises!! No one said this job was a bed of roses. And I donr recall stating anything about other states. And I donr want to be tied up with paperwork for someone's crime, but its part of the job, its not about that its about if something happens I should act, I get tied with BS paperwork all the time, PART OF THE JOB MY FREIND, so what.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.