What is Maine State Police like | MassCops

What is Maine State Police like

Discussion in 'Maine' started by tms1989, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tms1989

tms1989 MassCops Member

Do they mainly do rural, or highway patrols, is there alot to do?

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Many towns in Maine don't have police departments, so it's up to the sheriff's department, state police, game wardens, and mutual aid to provide LE coverage. My brother is on the job up there, he tells me what usually happens is when an emergency call comes in, the closest units respond, whatever agency they happen to be.

The only state troopers in Maine who work 24/7 are the ones who cover the Maine Turnpike, so getting called out of bed at 3am is always a possibility.

3. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

M S P is a full service Department, conducting patrol, swat response, etc for the entire state. Maine has more remote areas than any other New England state. For this reason patrols areas, especially in the north, are quite extensive. Usually troopers in the far regions of the state are backed by Game Wardens or sheriffs. There are numerous towns in Maine, even soujthern Maine, without local police departments and, unless there is a contract Deputy Sheriff, the only law enforcement is the Troopers or Sheriffs. Some towns in fact, recently stirred on by anti-taxers, have foolishlessly eliminated their local police departments. After doing this they have not contracted with the Sheriffs either! There has been some talk that the Maine State Troopers may begin contract services to some communities but this is only talk.Sheriffs have talked about taking calls only in contracting communities. The State Police rank and file have expressed grave concern with this reduction of local coverage and the failure of the State to incease the number of Troopers. All levels of government are crying poor mouth and nobody is yielding so far. A neighbor who recently moved next door to me from Maine returned to find two burglars in her house. It took better than a half hour for the first police (a single deputy sheriff) to arrive on the scene.This was not some real northern town. She lived in Parsonfield, which is in the southwestern part of the state. I own a vacation home in Maine. My town fortunately has a full time police department. They are constantly responding to surrounding towns to answer calls. Personal observation leads me to conclude that Maine Troopers are a highly professional organization who are spread too thinly and are truly on the front lines of law enforcement in the Pine Tree State. Activity wise....I've heard plenty over the years. Gun situations, robberies, etc. Chases are numerous. Many is the people is have met in local pubs have little respect for such silliness as O U I laws etc. and this too often results in horrendous accidents.

4. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

A close friend and military buddy of mine took a job as a trooper in maine about 12 years ago at the age of 30 - after years of frustration with the civil circus in MA (he's from the North Shore). His first assignment out of the academy was in the Calais area (WAYYYY up north) he told of covering an entire county with one other trooper and 2 other deputies. He also told of responding to calls sometimes up to 50 miles away (spoke highly of the high speeds he was able to obtain from his new in 96' Chevy Caprice) once another academy or 2 graduated he moved "down" to the Saco area and has been there since - pays the bills and he loves the "Long leash"....

5. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

I used to work in Maine and have family in Maine State Police. It is a good place to work, and a department you can have a great career with, but I really do think most people need to realize 2 things about Maine State Police.
    1.) LE is a much more solitary pursuit. Even in Southern Maine, to say these guys are stretched too thin is a major under representation of the situation. That being said, many Maine officers will help out (while waiting on a K-9 unit for a robbery, SP highway unit showed up and told my Sgt he would go wherever told, just another body). Be ready to work on your own- OUI accident on the highway, you can be doing the investigation, arresting the driver, tending to the patients, etc.
    2.) You will not get rich in Maine. That being said, they are always looking for a lot of troopers, and my understanding is that everywhere is short of manpower, so you get a choice. Trooper school is an add on to the academy, so you can lateral in, I believe.

All in all, very squared away and very good at what they do- no choice when they are it for 50 miles (and there are shitheads in Maine, too)