Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

What holds the most weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
From interacting some of the winners I go to school with, a CJ degree shouldnt mean shit, just on the fact that someone has a degree.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
IMHO:

1. F/T Academy
2. Veteran status
3. College education

The academy is an easy one to figure seeing as hiring an applicant with it done already will save the appointing authority a lot of money. prior military service show discipline, maturity, and determination. Now by all means I'm not knocking higher education but I feel weighed up against the other factors it ranks last, sort of on the same lines as Mikey's post.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Actually this poll is subjective. Veterans preference is not applicable unless you're talking civil circus. however it's still an interesting poll.
:F:

·
Seekonk Detective
41 Posts
well I have a ft academy and it dont mean shit. wish I was a vet with a ft academy......civil service is a pain in the :eek:nfire:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easton,

Maybe it is your backround that doesn't interest them. I know that when I go through the academy on my own dime, I will not be spending time wondering why this sucks and that sucks. The economy sucks right now and the key for you is to network your name. If I were you I would be calling departments across the commonwealth and trying to get in front of different chiefs so you can let them know that this is what you want. It may not work but at its better than complaining. Of course this is my :2c:
and I thought I would share it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LOL! Like mpd61 said, this is a subjective question. Like most polls, they only scratch the surface. After a total analysis, in my opinion, can one really make an educated answer. For example, college education, how much college education are you talking about? What degree? Veteran's preference, are we talking about a person with MP training and experience, or are are we talking about someone who worked in supply? Academy training, what kind of academy training are we talking about? Massachusetts, federal, another state? This can of course go on, but I'll spare everyone. I think you get the picture. :)

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
Well while I agree that the full academy..college and vet points are somewhat helpful...I also feel that as they say in my town and the sad thing is that this is in the open is "It helps to know somebody"..IE Politics...and feel free to disagree but I've personally experienced it first hand..more than once..

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Burner1 said:
LOL! Like mpd61 said, this is a subjective question. Like most polls, they only scratch the surface. After a total analysis, in my opinion, can one really make an educated answer. For example, college education, how much college education are you talking about? What degree? Veteran's preference, are we talking about a person with MP training and experience, or are are we talking about someone who worked in supply? Academy training, what kind of academy training are we talking about? Massachusetts, federal, another state? This can of course go on, but I'll spare everyone. I think you get the picture. :)
Burner,

Allow me to help your TOTAL analysis, College Education=Degree..2yr,
Veteran's Preference(speaks for itself as long as you qualify), as far as academy trained.....This poll was placed in the Municipal Category on MASSCOPS.com not federalcops.com, not anotherstatecop.com. You get the picture..... :FM:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think a college degree helps, at least it is a plus for a hiring dept. A full time academy increases your chances greatly. One less thing the town has to pay for, and they could hire you and put you on the road, rather than waiting for you to go to the academy. Veteran's preference only applies to Civil Service Depts. Say that you had veterans status, you were a plumber all your life, you take the civil service test and score well. You might have a good chance at getting hired, even without any criminal justice background, even over the guy who has a Bachellors in CJ. My department (civil service) hired two people off the last list for Reserve/Intermittent status, they were both Vets with no law enforcement or criminal justice background. They passed over someone without vets status, who had the FT academy and a degree. #-o Sometimes that is how some depts work and how civil circus works.

Even with an academy it is tough, especially now with budget cuts. More and more people get self sponsored to go to the academy. Its one step up on someone without it, but then you have to compete with all the people with the FT academy. When I graduated the FT academy, I probably had 6 interviews with different departments, everyone I competed with either had the FT academy and/or more on the job experience.

Its tough, but if you keep applying, interviewing, testing and trying it is all practice. Someday it may all pay off. It did for me, it took a very long time, but finally I'm where I want to be. Thank goodness. Good luck to those who are trying to get on FT somewhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, I guess I do not get the picture. My point was being that most polls are so generalized, they are often supplied by subjective points of views (i.e. liberals versus conservatives). In the immediate circumstance, I understand where this question was posted. There are new and old members alike on this board who consistently ask questions in regard to those asked in your poll. Civil Service law makes some of questions moot anyway. I'm sure there are people out there who are aware of that even though there are statutory procedures in place, they are not always followed. My intention was not to instigate an argument, but to try to narrowly focus an original question.

Example:

2 year degree versus 4, 4 versus 6 or 7
criminal justice versus psychology...or law
Out of state academies versus in-state
Which academy you attended (there is a difference)
Combat veterans versus non-combatants

Oh well...

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Full time Academy,
Jobfile in news in CJIS printout as of last week, every municipal job requires FT academy... They all want something for nothing.....
Also, 60 credits is a minimum in most places. That buts those two up top, with veteran as a "plus" but not mandatory...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Above all departments need money! So more positions can be available. You can have all 3 things but no hiring departments and where doed that leave you? Just something to think about. Seeing we are know how great the civil service is. I mean you can sit at the top of the list for your town (like i did) and there laying guys off.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
npd_323 said:
Does anyone think another part of it is "who you know"
I was in the top 3 of the list in my town for 2 consecutive tests. This is when MA HR started putting the civil service lists online (2000-2002). Then I got bumped buy a lad who was way down the list because he wasn't a resident. Come to find out, his DADDY had been on the job in that town for 20+ years!

All of a sudden, he went from 50 something to #1! He had disabled vet status over my regular vet status, and instantly became a resident over night :-k . He probably cut his finger peeling potatoes and got a disability discharge to get the points.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.