Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I place most of the blame on city cops.

Now to explain my position...

I have never worked with a Trooper who publicly bad mouths town or city cops. I have met an extremely small number of Troopers who look unprofessional and sloppy (and found these were leftovers from RMV police and capital police). 98% of Troopers are smart, sharp, professional and willing to help out and go the extra mile (I believe they get this last value from the high amount of former military in their ranks).

I have worked with very few small town cops who publicly bad mouth other departments or officers. Small town cops are usually pretty hard working but humble. They like associating with other cops and LEO's of every type. They know their town and it's surroundings. They are used to working with P/T cops and receiving assistance from Troopers. In short they are more accepting of other LEO's.

If you work with city cops you are going to get a smart mouthed comment in your first 20 minutes. They always talk shit about troopers and cannot conceive of working with reserve officers or auxiliaries and hate other LEA's working in or near their space.

City cops usually do not have to rely on any other department. They usually have their own detectives, swat, K-9, DARE, IA, etc...
When they work with other agencies they can be difficult and smart-assed.

City cops are usually very knowledgeable and effective in their jurisdictions and perform most of the "dirty" police work (I don't mean crooked) that has to be done on tough streets. Unfortunately your biggest slobs (earings, need of a shave, dirty and/or wrinkled uniforms, poor attitudes) are going to work for bigger departments like Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Worcester etc...

My experience and perception...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.