What does the R/I academy entail? | MassCops

What does the R/I academy entail?

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by ItalianBostonian, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItalianBostonian

ItalianBostonian New Member

Just looking for some info on what is covered in the R/I, plz post. Thanks.

2. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

The training of personnel appointed as Reserve/Intermittent Police Officers is mandated by statute. The extent of the training program is to be determined by the MPTC. Current training programs for newly appointed officers reflect the topic areas covered by the municipal police recruit curriculum. The major differences between full-time municipal police basic curriculum training and basic training for reserve/intermittent officers is the number of hours devoted to the various subject areas. Most reserve/intermittent training programs take place at night or on weekends. This is a direct reflection of the type of person who usually takes these positions. Most attendees have other jobs or are students trying to “break in to” the law enforcement profession. With this in mind, the training must be given at a time that is convenient for the students.

Currently, Reserve/Intermittent Police Officer Basic Training is offered through the Boylston, Foxboro, New Bedford, Plymouth, Reading and Western Mass (Springfield) regional police academies.

Because they do not act as full-time officers and are seldom charged with the total investigation of criminal activity, the basic/intermittent officers receive less training than their full-time counterparts. They do, however, conform to the same standards as full-time officers with regard to First Responder training, C.P.R. training, knowledge of Massachusetts Criminal Law and Firearms Qualifications.

The Basic Reserve/Intermittent Training Program consists of 154 hours of training. This extensive training includes instruction in the areas of Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Defensive Tactics, Officer Survival, Motor Vehicle Law, Motor Vehicle Stops and numerous other areas of study pertinent to the field of law enforcement. All instructors are certified and approved by the Municipal Police Training Committee. Only M.P.T.C. certified instructors shall be used for all classroom instruction.

The Basic Reserve/Intermittent Training Program is certified through the Municipal Police Training Committee. Upon successful completion of all the program requirements you will receive certification from the Municipal Police Training Committee.

3. Simon

Simon Guest

Gaellic lessons.........

4. Lookinforacopjob

Lookinforacopjob MassCops Member

My brother is in the Plymouth Class now. It is a LOT of hours and dedication, but a good precursor for a real academy (No physical stuff though...). If you want more info on PLYMOUTH send me a private message and I will have my brother respond....

5. RICHARD

RICHARD MassCops Member

Do you have to have cpr and first response done , Cause i heard some schools dont give it?

6. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

If you want info. on the Boylston academy, please Pm me and I will have my brother's, Uncle's, cousin, who works with a guy, whose sister went to the academy...she will contact you.

7. ItalianBostonian

ItalianBostonian New Member

:L:LMAO. I love this site.

Thanks for the response, I do not know what academy I will be attending as of yet.

8. ff6735

ff6735 New Member

With the recent changes in curriculum of the R/I Academy increasing the number of hours attended, how does that compare to the Full Time Academy? Specifically what are the changes from the old to the new? Is it just an increase in the academics?

9. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

The R/I academy has always been 95% academics...and I really doubt any of that has changed.

10. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

BAM!

11. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

It's 75% mental and 50% physical:redcarded:

12. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

I understand there is more dancing taught in the R/I for you FNG's:dance:

13. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

So all I need to do is enroll in 3 different R/I academies and I'm golden.

14. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.