Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this is not Oprah and Rosie in a fight.. its a new show I was just watching on Animal Planet. Im kind of torn, I mean if these fisherman are really poaching and breaking the law someone should do something but these people are friggin morons. First they drop a boat in the water and it flips over,nearly killing them, then one of them damages the helicopter..its like the 3 stooges meet greenpeace.

'Whale Wars' on Animal Planet

Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherd Conservation Society take extreme measures in opposing whaling. Many say they go too far.

TV & Radio

Most E-mailed

By Mary McNamara, Television Critic

It's difficult to begrudge anyone their media savvy in this synergistic age, but there is a level of TV-consciousness in Animal Planet's new weekly docu-series "Whale Wars" that often seems at odds with its dramatic and controversial subject.

The seven-week series, which premieres tonight at 9, follows an anti-whaling "campaign" againsJapanese fishing vessels conducted on the high seas by Capt. Paul Watson and his Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Watson, a co-founder of Greenpeace, was kicked out of that organization when his activism was deemed too extreme.
it is illegal to kill whales for commercial use, the law allows the killing of1,000 whales each year for the purposes of research. Watson and his crew consider this a bogus loophole, used by the Japanese as a smoke screen for a purely capitalist enterprise, and they are not content to simply protest and document.

The point of their ventures, including the one filmed during "Whale Wars," is to stop the ships, often marked in large letters with "Research," from hunting and killing whales in the Antarctic. By whatever means necessary. Stink bombs, nautical tactics, illegal boarding of the ships -- very little seems off-limits. These people, we are told repeatedly, are willing to die for the whales.

Not surprisingly, many on both sides of the Save the Whales issue consider Watson more terrorist than activist, and the Japanese fishing industry has labeled him a pirate.

As a television show, "Whale Wars" adopts similar all-or-nothing tactics. The worst-case-scenario voice-over and terse crew interviews will be familiar to fans of reality shows like "Deadliest Catch" or "Ice Road Truckers." Likewise, the soundtrack booms with majesty, crackles in anxiety or wails softly of strings, just in case the awe-inspiring sight of a sunset over an iceberg field or the vision of men in ski masks boarding a hostile ship is not enough to hold your attention.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sweet new show

If anyone has a few bored hours like I have for the past week (cold), check out Animal Planet's "Whale Wars." Its about these extremist greenpeace wingnuts who crew a ship out of Australia to patrol the Antartic and "fight" Japanese whaling boats who are allegedly there for research. Its pretty nuts because of the dangerous seas and 20something hippies who have never been on a boat before. In the second episode the overzealous captain who was a founder of greenpeace before they kicked him out sends two kids to board a harpooning vessel and be taken hostage in order to create a media buzz over it. Okay, enough of a rant. I need to go watch episode 3. Oh and its all on demand under tv listings, discovery networks, animal planet.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
Wether you agree with the tactics of the Whale nuts or not, this show is really good. Just watched the third episode the other night.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Activists attack Japanese whalers with stink bombs

Activists attack Japanese whalers with stink bombs

news.yahoo.com - Militant environmentalists said they had pelted stink bombs at a Japanese whaling ship in Australian waters in their latest bid to disrupt hunting of the protected creatures..."Most likely they will run and we will chase and they'll run and we'll chase and that's fine. As long as they are running they are not killing whales."

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Re: Activists attack Japanese whalers with stink bombs

Anybody been watching Whale Wars on Animal Planet?
I'm just waiting for the episode where the Japanese whalers fire back on those unwashed a-holes (led by Chief A-Hole Paul Watson), and with more than just a flash-bang.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah....I started a thread about this a few months back..and of course no one cared.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Very funny.....sorry I must have my period....get him a cranberry juice.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts

Anybody been watching Whale Wars on Animal Planet?
I'm just waiting for the episode where the Japanese whalers fire back on those unwashed a-holes (led by Chief A-Hole Paul Watson), and with more than just a flash-bang.
They are "On-Demand" with Comcast. Check out the last one. Watson claims to be shot yet he never so much as yells out or falls over.

G

·
I think it is funny to see these former Havard Square pit kids pretending to be Navy Seals on the high seas. The whales have no chance against those "research" ships, so I do like to see the Japanese lose this battle. I also like to watch the moonbats when they royally screw up.It is an interesting & amusing how to watch.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this would be a good place to post this video...I have posted it a few other places....I think its one of the funniest vidoes ever and some of Careys best work....watch his facial expressions and movements its hilarious...not to mention accurate of these treehuggers..

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts

Yeah....I started a thread about this a few months back..and of course no one cared.
Georgie boy...That's how we love ya... Totally inadequate, completely insecure, paranoid, neurotic.. Good to have ya back cowboy...

·
Registered
779 Posts
If I was a ships capt and one of those nuts tried to board my ship I would ASSUME he's a pirate and take him out and ram the pirate ship.
JAP they clearly weren't pirates because they took those letters with them that said they weren't :rolleyes:.....I would have paid money to watch one of those sailors (whose countries pedigree includes ninja, samurai, the infamous banzai attacks of WWII, and a mastery of swords and edged weapons in general) use one of the knives they use on the whales on one of those pompous boobs...HAHA..

I don't condone the whaling....but isn't boarding a ship in international waters without invite a large part of the definiton of piracy?? They're lucky they weren't shot...and I bet they smelled worse than the whale guts...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts