Weymouth police officer struck working traffic detail | Page 3 | MassCops

Weymouth police officer struck working traffic detail

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

R.I.P and we pray for the family. If anyone hears of a fund being set up for his family, please post it.

2. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

This has been a shit week with officers getting run down by NDF's! RIP Officer Davey.

3. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Rip Officer Daviey, My condolences and prayers to his family. Thank you for your sacrifice.

4. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

The world has lost another piece of what is right in it. Rest in peace brother and may God reach out his comforting hand to his family, friends and department.

5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

RIP Brother. Thank you for your service to country and community

6. wolf9848

wolf9848 MassCops Member

RIP Officer Davey.

7. MCADPD24

MCADPD24 MassCops Member

Rest in Peace Officer davey. Thoughts and prayers are with you and you family. And the Weymouth Police.

8. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

RIP sir, Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

To the Weymouth PD and the family: Sorry for your lose

9. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Weymouth police officer hit, killed by pick-up truck

[​IMG]

Gary Higgins/The Patriot Ledger

WEYMOUTH, Monday August 24, 2009: A Weymouth Police Headquarters, Norfolk DA William Keating, Weymouth Mayor Sue Kay and Acting Police chief Tim Carr held a press conference to discuss the accident which claimed the life of a Weymouth police officer. Keating is in center (Photo by Gary Higgins - The Patriot Ledger)

More related photos

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

By Fred Hanson and John Kelly
    The Patriot Ledger
    Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 11:51 AM
    Last update Aug 24, 2009 @ 06:51 PM

[​IMG]
    Officer Michael Davey

WEYMOUTH —

A Weymouth police officer directing traffic at a road detail on Route 18 this morning was killed after being pinned by a pickup truck driven by a 79-year-old man, authorities said.
    Michael Davey, who was married with three children, was pronounced dead at South Shore Hospital.
    Norfolk District Attorney William R. Keating said the pickup truck driver, Ronald Gale, has been charged with motor-vehicle homicide, negligent driving, speeding, and failure to stop at a stop sign. The Registry of Motor Vehicles has suspended his driver’s license under its immediate-threat policy, Keating said.
    “This is a very sad day for the Weymouth community as a whole,” Keating said at a 4:30 p.m. press conference at the Weymouth Police Department.
    The accident was reported at 9:50 a.m. near the intersection with West Street, where a National Grid crew was doing utility work on its electrical lines.
    Keating said Gale allegedly blew through a stop sign in a gray Mazda, striking a Toyota sedan then pinning Davey against a utility truck at the work site, where was working a road detail.
    Davey was transported to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
    State Police are investigating the crash, Keating said.
    Davey, a 1993 Weymouth High School graduate, served for more than a year in Iraq with the Army National Guard.
    According to a Patriot Ledger article, Davey served with the 1058th Transportation Company and was deployed in 2003. He joined the police academy after returning the following year.
    Davey and his wife, Kathleen, had three children, according to the 2004 article.
    “He’s just a great guy,” city councilor Michael Molisse said in a telephone interview on his way to the hospital early this afternoon. “He’s been on the force five or six years.”
    Davey was among several in his family to wear a police uniform. His father, Ernest Davey, recently retired from the Weymouth Police Department after more than two decades. The elder Davey once told the Patriot Ledger his grandfather and uncle were also police officers.
    It was the second accident in less than 48 hours in Weymouth that claimed the life of a law enforcement officer.
    On Saturday evening, James Zupkofska, a 45-year-old Norfolk County correctional officer, was struck and killed by a U.S. Postal Service truck while he was jogging a few blocks from his home on Raycroft Avenue.

Video:

Weymouth police officer hit, killed by pick-up truck - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

10. Sgt.Joe Friday

Sgt.Joe Friday MassCops Member

God Bless you Officer Davey
    May your family be graced with peace.

11. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

I know it will hit the TT but once contact INFO is given for Honor Guards please PM me.

12. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

When we pick up the phone to answer the call for extra work in order to feed our families, we often forget how dangerous standing in road directing traffic can actually be as opposed to answering calls for service. I know I do.

I know I've probably done a detail similar to that one in utility company and busy nature of the location numerous times. The fact of the matter is that, like any line of duty death, it hits so close to home because it could have been anyone of us who picked up the phone and answered, "National Grid? Yeah, I'll take that, put me down."

My thoughts and prayers to Officer Davey and his family for whom he was trying to provide a better life for when he died. Also to those on Weymouth PD, a sad day indeed.

13. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

RIP Officer Davey.

14. GeepNutt

GeepNutt MassCops Member

At a loss for words at a time like this, RIP Sir!

15. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

R.I.P

thank you sir for your service at home and abroad.

16. mase4615

mase4615 MassCops Member

RIP...You are a true hero!!!

17. semiunmarked

semiunmarked MassCops Member

Same assclowns spouting off annonymously in the comments section of the local rag.
    Same pols pondering 'what should we do about elderly drivers' (they vote!).
    Same lame punishment to be handed down - probation w-loss of license.

Another never ending nightmare for one family and agency.
    Another name engraved in granite in DC.
    Another tear flows.

This could have easily been one of us.
    This could happen to you tomorrow.
    This will happen again.
    We know what each other has to face everyday.
    Let the brotherhood always be strong.

May the Davey family embrace the warm memories and forever hold them strong.

18. 187

187 New Member

God bless you sir. Thank you for your service.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

19. WFDLt.

WFDLt. New Member

My condolences on the loss of your brother officer. A police officer and a Iraq war vet, a true American hero, and a true loss. You guys be safe out there.

20. dgold127

dgold127 MassCops Member

Taken way too soon. RIP Officer Davey.

21. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

My prayers with the family and department, RIP Officer Davey.

22. holpd

holpd MassCops Member

RIP Mike, you will be missed.

23. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

"Here dead lie we
    Because we did not choose
    To Live and shame the land from which we sprung.

Life to be sure is nothing much to lose,
    but young men think it is,
    And I was young".

This poem was originally written for those gave the ultimate sacrifice during the Great War. However, this young man answered not one but two callings in his life and although greatly saddened by his sudden loss, his family will always be proud of him.

Sileo ut vestri animus

24. MDSP2597

MDSP2597 Subscribing Member

Thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and co-workers. Sorry for your loss.

25. MB720

MB720 MassCops Member

Rest In Peace Officer Davey.